1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jefferson reunites with Joiner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 11, 2009

Former Chargers wide receiver John Jefferson was in San Diego Tuesday and will spend the next few days watching practice and listening to his good friend Charlie Joiner.

Former Chargers wide receiver John Jefferson believes having Charlie Joiner for a teammate significantly impacted the lightning-fast start to J.J.’s playing career, and Jefferson now hopes a little time with his old friend will give him a boost as he attempts to rejuvenate his coaching career. He's in San Diego for the next few days to watch Joiner as he leads the Chargers' current receivers

“I’m looking at getting back on the field,” Jefferson said. “I’m just kind of observing; just an opportunity to sit in the back of the meeting room and observe; watch the guys. I can learn a lot.”

Jefferson was the Chargers’ first-round draft pick in 1978, and his arrival ignited “Air Coryell.” He recorded 1,001 yards and 13 touchdowns in just 14 games as a rookie and went to the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons.

Jefferson reached the 1,000-yard mark again in his second season and caught 10 touchdown passes to help the Chargers win their first AFC West title. He teamed with Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow and Dan Fouts to form one of most potent aerial attacks in NFL history.

“The Coryell system was a breath of fresh air for the entire league and it was great to be a part of that,” Jefferson said. “We had a lot of guys who really enjoyed each other. The people are what’s most special when I think back to my days here.”

Jefferson was traded to the Packers in 1981 and concluded his playing career in Cleveland in 1985. He immediately went into coaching and spent five years at the University of Kansas, but he decided to change career paths because he wanted to spend time with his family.

“Coaching takes a lot of time,” Jefferson said. “When your kids are small, they’re asleep when you get home and they’re asleep when you leave. Now that mine are grown up, I think I’d like to get back into it.”

After he left coaching, Jefferson served as the Director of Student Life/Athletic Life at Kansas and served as the Washington Redskins’ Director of Player Development for nine seasons.

Jefferson feels fortunate to have people he can learn from as he attempts to transition back to coaching. He spent the last two weeks in Tampa shadowing Buccaneers Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach Richard Mann, who was Jefferson’s position coach in college at Arizona State.

Now he’ll spend the next couple of days soaking up information from Joiner, a man Jefferson believes coaches much like the Hall of Famer played.

“Charlie was always a student of the game,” Jefferson said. “He was one of the best route runners I’ve ever seen. He knew how to set people up because of his film study. He worked so hard then and still does now. I’d like to think a little of it rubbed off on me as a player and I hope it will now as a coach.”

2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    JJ Jefferson. 3 amazing seasons. 36 touchdowns. 3300 yards.

Oh what could have been. Still my favorite player of all time.

3. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I like Jefferson and Joiner was always a favorite, but I think Wes Chandler was the overall best :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Hard to imagine we replaced one cool cat with another one so seamlessly. Those two had game and had style.

I wish I could find a highlight reel of JJ and his back of the endzone one handers. Was a bit disappointed he didn't make NFL networks all-time rookie seasons.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    That catch was amazing. If he had stayed in SD, he would have put up some crazy numbers.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, JL. Good read.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    JJ was ahead of his time in terms of skill and physical ability. Had he stayed in SD, he could of arguably became the best receiver ever. Lucky for us Chandler was almost an exact copy of him.

8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Here you go:abq2: If you think about it the have much of the same type of weapons on offense as the Chargers did then.....and we have a defense to boot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks bro. :abq2:

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I disagree, JJ had Hall of Fame ability, could have been one of the best ever had he stayed in lightning bolts. Chandler was a notch below, IMO.

But I loved Wes too, he took a lot of the sting out of losing JJ the way we did.

11. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    JJ was the man. Chandler was inconsistent. Chandler could disappear in games or seasons. JJ, on the other hand, was always came to play. His presence was always felt. That said, this is in sharp contrast to how quietly JJ's career ended. Some people were concerned about his work ethic which is strange given how he played with such enthusiasm.

If I were to use adjectives to describe JJ and Chandler at their best: Chandler was graceful but JJ was electrifying.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Concur TK. Well said! :tup:

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I think you're right. I remember Kellen Winslow saying of JJ, if you threw the ball anywhere in his zip code he would catch it.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I loved those all white unis with the navy helmet

15. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's why I love the Chargers

Fouts to Winslow, Jefferson and Joiner all over 1000 y.