1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jeromey Clary is Built Tough

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Chargers' Jeromey Clary built tough
    By Michael Gehlken
    8:37 P.M. OCT. 3, 2013

Jeromey Clary made his choice.

He would keep playing.

That was the call two Sunday afternoons ago, one easier to talk than walk when pain intensifies throughout a game. He felt the aftermath that evening and upon awakening the next morning in bed.

"It was hard to sleep," Clary said. "It was hard to move. It was hard to get dressed. It was hard to get undressed."

More difficult for Clary is to stay sidelined.

The Chargers right guard returned to practice Thursday as a limited participant, and that is about right. The eighth-year veteran has earned a reputation for toughness, the latest example Sept. 22 when he gutted through a first-quarter injury in Nashville.

His status for Sunday's game against the Raiders is yet to be determined. San Diego will release its official injury report Friday.

Clary has "every intent" to play, he said, but "body and mind are separate entities. ... Realistically, there was no chance last week. This week, it's more realistic. We'll see."

The injury is listed as to the clavicle, and it was severe enough to keep him off the field all of last week.

Its nature is such that multiple people have shaken their heads discussing how he pushed through the injury, understood to involve some tearing. Philip Rivers said Clary going four quarters was “remarkable, but it wasn’t surprising” given the player. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt called it “unbelievable.”

“To have that type of mentality in that group, it sets the standard for the young guys,” Whisenhunt said. “They don’t have a choice but to adopt that.”

Clary wore an earpiece on the sideline Sunday, so he was able to follow the Chargers' plays during the Cowboys game. He spoke with younger players. He gave tips when he could.

None of that could replicate being in the game himself.

That is why the 29-year-old does what he does, continuing to play if possible, accepting medical methods to mask the pain when available. Such tricks aren't at hand for this injury, he said, but should the pain prove manageable, the abuse his body takes is worthwhile.

"It's impossible to explain how awesome Sundays are," Clary said. "It's magical. It's like a kid going to Disneyland for the first time, and we get to do it every Sunday. Every Sunday we get to go into a new stadium like, 'Oh man. This is incredible.'

"I think 20 years from now, 40 years from now, I'll look back, and I don't think I'll regret anything."

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Issue has never been his work ethic or his desire or his passion for the game. I'd like to take his desire and work ethic and give it to Jared Gaither, just for the hell of it. But the issue isn't his desire its the fact he.....well.....sucks

though he has been playing better lately

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    He's just a bad arse bad player.?

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Yes, I too would like to give a great work ethic to Gaither...

Come to think of it, there's something else I'd like to give him that he probably wouldn't appreciate nearly as much...

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Clary is the Norv of the OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Debatable, I thought personally Troutman showed us more last week than Clary did the first 3 games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I definitely think Troutman is already better and will gratefully be given a chance to show again how good he can be. I would love to put him on the right side along Fluker and let them just steamroll opposing teams. Having said that I still think Clary has done better at RG than RT lately.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Of course, you could replace "Troutman" with the name of any lineman who has played more than 10 snaps for the Chargers in the last 7 years. There are few things Charger fans love more than whining about Clary. What ever happened to all of those guys who were so much better, like Dombrowski? Funny thing. Two HCs, a bunch of different OL coaches, and still Clary is a starter. He sure has all those coaches, teammates and front office people fooled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Or maybe like Jammer, it takes a few years to finally get it right then you start playing at an acceptable level...

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Never a Dombo supporter myself. If you look back we never had any better options than Clary because AJ so thoroughly neglected the O-line depth in every round of the draft. Rare was it when we'd spend a late pick on a Wesley Britt, or Ty Green, or David Molk.

Clary hasn't been the worst at what he does, but he's in the conversation. And if I had my laptop I'd look up the numbers that support it on ProFootballFocus.com

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Clary is far from a pro bowl RT, but I think he's much better suited for guard than tackle. My point was that anyone that goes out there and doesn't fall flat on his face on every snap is going to be declared better than Clary by most Charger fans. Most Charger fans made up their minds about Clary a long time ago. A new OL coach and a new position are not going to change that.

I take more of a wait and see approach with him at his new position. I think his veteran presence is a plus, and he's far less of a pass protection liability on the interior. Declaring Troutman the better player after one game is a bit premature. He may prove to be a better player, but it takes more than one game to determine that.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Poor Clary.

Jeromey Clary: "Mama, Mama, I don't suck! The UT's Michael Gehlken finally wrote a nice piece about me today! Yay!"

Mama Clary: "Then why is it followed by countless fans saying that you're 'on skates' more than Kristi Yamaguchi?!?"

Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 9.18.34 AM.png

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I didn't say Troutman was better, I said he played the best game for us so far. Which is more a knock on Clary than anything.

And I don't think you give people enough credit, if Clary were to stop giving up consistent pressure and start getting a push in the run game I think you'd stop hearing weekly complaining....but he has done neither, and that's why this topic is brought up so very often.

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Not really, seeing how the Cowboys had the best defensive front 7 in the NFL heading into the game.

If you look closely at that game, Johnnie Troutman and Mike Harris were left with 1 on 1's with DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher. Troutman was a force in the run game finishing all his blocks and getting to the 2nd level, something Clary never does. I was pleasantly surprised with how the left side of the OL played. We will get to see that again this week against the Raiders.

The whole OL played great that game allowing 1 sack and 5 hurries. Excited to see what they can do again this week. But, agree with Mati, Troutman has showed more than Clary has in 1 game vs. Clary's 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Clary seems to do a good job at RG. He was an abominable RT.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Yes, because no lineman has ever had a good game against a top-flight player only to never be heard from again. That happens practically ever week in the NFL. Case in point, Clary has had plenty of games where he has shut down top players. He's also had plenty where he's been dominated by top guys. If you'd only looked at Clary's good games, you'd say he was a very good starter at RT. If you look at his bad games at RT, you'd say he was below average. That's my point. Troutman has a sample size of one. Declaring him the better starter after one game is just stupid, there's no other way to describe it. Troutman might well turn out to be a better player in the long run, and I hope he is, but he has not proven it yet. Clary has started two games at RG. Troutman has started one game.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    I don't remember JJ Watt exactly dominating our O-line in week one, despite leading the league in sacks last season.

I do believe Clary was starting that week too. ;)

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't know what game you were watching but he penetrated our OL a handful of times on run plays. Fluker did a decent job for a rookie, but Watt destroyed us in the run game. He also destroyed Clary. Clary was beaten by Watt for a knockdown, a hurry, a tackle for a loss in the run game and made Clary jump for a false start.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    You go with the hot hand. Clary played 3 games at RG this season. Got destroyed by the Texans and Titans and played decent against a weak Eagles defense. Compared to Troutman's 1 game against a top defensive front (Cowboys), I'd go with Troutman until he loses the job to Clary.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    I didn't see any destroying by Watt. Considering I've seen plenty of games where he looked unstoppable last year, he merely looked good. He made a few plays, but he didn't dominate.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Perception is reality. You see what you expect to see, in this case Clary getting "destroyed."

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    A hurry, a knockdown and a tackle for loss is hardly getting "destroyed" when you are playing against one of the game's top defenders.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Exactly. Some people need to hold onto their Clary sucks meme, no matter what.

A guy getting his first regular season start at guard (teamed with a rookie getting his first start at RT), going against the most dominate defender in the league last season. I'd hardly say that Clary stank up the joint.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Per PFF,

He was one of the reasons why we only had 62 rush yards on 19 attempts, and was basically non existent all game. Watt didn't get the stats some fans here like to see, but if you watched the game, we lost the LOS battle to Watt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    So what do you guys call last week's game? We patched 3 different offensive linemen together against the leagues top front 7, and also top 4-3 DE duo and we were also forced to another in game change at RG when Ohrenberger went down. Yet that was the best OL showing we've had all season.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Funny, but they still did well enough to have a sizable lead in the game, until they turtled at the end. The O-line must've done something right..... and that includes Clary.

Show me a game this year where Mathews has rushed for a bunch of yards. I'd say the RB has something to do with that lack of production. Impatience and poor vision have held back Mathews more than a lack of blocking.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    The Cowgirls are a paper tiger. Is that really such a shock?....... they play in a terrible division.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Haha, we had short touchdown drives.

We got an INT on the 14 yard line, which led to a TD the very next play on a swing route by Mathews. The 3rd TD we scored was off a missed FG from the Texans, we go the ball on our 41.

Whenever we tried to run the ball we got stuffed by Watt & Co. Which made us very predictable coming out into the 2nd half, which led to the Texans takeover.

Against a quality defense last week, Mathews had the most room to run because we actually opened up holes in the run game. The OL is not opening holes for any of our RB's to run through. Please, don't even mention Woodhead because opposing defenses expect him to come out of the backfield to catch a pass, and he gets a draw and gets 4-5 yards.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,504
    So, was the 2nd half play calling utterly predictable, or what? We made the Texans job a lot easier. If the D knows what's coming, they've already won half the battle.