1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeromey Clary s/b a 2nd string GUARD...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Maybe it's just my frustration at seeing our franchise QB getting knocked around like a pinball....or the fact that we can never run toward the right side of our line for more than 2 yards.....but Jeromey Clary scares the effing crap out of me. He must have the worst and slowest footwork of any OT in the league and he isn't driving anyone in the run game. If I were a defensive coordinator...I would emphasize blitzing constantly on the right side of our line because he is like a gawd damned turnstile. I know Dielman even got beat for a sack tonight...and I know that the Cards were blitzing like crazy....but Clary just got killed....repeatedly. 4 sacks in a half is beyond unacceptable.....especially in pre-season when you are protecting your star QB.

I know there were whispers from our coaching staff about putting Clary at Guard.....before we drafted Vasquez....and I truly think that is where he belongs.

LJ Shelton actually did quite well subbing for McNeill in two games last year and I would be SOOOO much more comfortable with him starting at RT....even if it isn't an ideal short term solution. I've lost confidence that Clary is even at Olivea's level at RT.

2. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, sir, I believe we are realizing that them d-bags on the o-line are overrated like the linkery or anything on Yelp.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Clary has a nitemare with AZ's no. 1 D. It got much better when the likes of Dockett and Campbell sat. I just wonder does that tell u the level Clary is at ie. backup. He needs to up his game bigtime or we are gonna struggle. Having said that rarely did I see us keeping the likes of Manu back there to help the big guys out. Even Dielman was beaten like a drum. Good news, Big Mc is back. He will be an outstanding LT. Give him the extension now.

4. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Seriously, Clary is NO BUENO.

Damn, I want to see Larry English on the field.

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I've been saying this FOR A WHILE.

Good dude, BACK UP AT MOST.

LJ Shelton should start. I'm hoping for Vasquez to take his place but he's been injured..

Anybody think we should of traded for Jason Peters?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Clary = Dogshit

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Bring my boy Shane back!!!

:flag:

8. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Its why I think we will regret not picking Oher instead of Larry English: even if English proves to be valuable (especially if Merriman leaves or gets hurt)...we need some help on the right side of the Oline, Vasquez also got beat on a sack and that penalty on the screen pass for an illegal block (though it was a nice MMA move!).

Hopefully Forney can get back to his old Atlanta form and help stabilize the right side.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He is clearly overmatched though by the same token it don't think any OL had a good night - none of them were prepared for the blitzes that were thrown. Vasquez gotten eaten up twice, but he's got an excuse. Clary, I just don't know. He's a great guy but the proof is in the play.

Might be time to swing Corey Clark out see what he can do

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Hopefully that was the problem. It was a preseason game and they did not put in a plan, they merely adapted to what the Cardinals were doing. It did seem to get better as the Game progressed.

11. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

(MAIN REASON) It only got better for the OLine when AZ pulled their starters.

(SECONDARY REASON) We made adjustments.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That was bad. He's going to get ripped in film this week and if it doesn't get any better next week then we have to try something different otherwise our $100 million dollar QB is going to get killed.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :no:

14. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Dielman got beat once, I wouldn't say that's getting beat like a drum. Against a good blitzing defense, getting beat once is acceptable. Vasquez I can understand, this is his first NFL game, and he's coming off that injury, so he gets a few more chances IMO.

Clary. Sucks. Improve or be replaced.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, Vasquez had the one whiff but otherwise didn't look bad. Needs to work on his pulling, but at least he shows promise.

Clary can shuffle on off to wherever Olivea went. Who said it earlier? His foot speed is very poor - speed kills him every time. He didn't disengage to pick up blitzes, he got bulled .... it was embarrassing. Campbell owned Dielman on one play as well.

PR should spray Firm-Grip in their boxers. :icon_evil:

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I have never thought of Clary as a legitimate starting tackle.

I would say that we should be looking to shop somebody like S. Philips or Cooper or Sproles, or next years picks to try to get a real tackle. But quality tackles are really some of the most valuable guys on the field and nobody is going to give us a fair trade.

17. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Does anyone know if Jon Runyan is still available? I know he wanted to play one or two more years.....Maybe we can still bring a guy like that in and have him compete with LJ for the RT job. The time is NOW for the Chargers.....We may fix this next year, but we will have three different holes to plug with our FA losses.

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Runyan is still available.

19. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    In Vasquez we trust? Or should we give Corey Clark and L.J. Shelton some chances. I know L.J. is an old left tackle but I think that age or not, he would be an improvement over Clary. Then again, I guess anyone would be an improvement over Clary. It just sucks that we can't run behind that side and it helps their defense so much.

Such an easy way to go for our opponents: BLITZ right, run coverage stacked to the left. Always be prepared to swing left.

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    how has this guy fallen so far so fast?

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Think I'll just wait and see how things shake out in our first regular season game. Way to early to get uptight. :icon_toast:

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Fallen from where? He has been advertised as being better than Olivea....the previous worst RT in the entire NFL....and that's debateable for me.....I don't hear the guy getting flagged for a lot of penalties and maybe that's what the coaches like about him....but he gets pushed backward in the run game half the time....and blitzing LBers and above average DE's run right around him without much more than a speed bump to delay them from getting to Rivers.

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dood has been a starter for two years. Why is he still starting if he sucked so bad :icon_huh:

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I would sign Jon Runyan ASAP... if for no other reason than he can show Clary how to NOT BE A NICE GUY when the ball is snapped.

Not sure if he's ready to go yet, but AJ should be making a call to him.

25. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Because he has been in the system and there is continuity....They feel they don't have much better on the roster....although I can't see LJ Shelton being any worse.

Clary took over for Olivea who had been the incumbent starter for the previous 4 seasons....Where is he? That's right, he's out of the NFL....If Olivea was any good...at all...he would have latched on somewhere. It wasn't that hard to replace him. This position has been a weak spot on this team for a long time.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So, your telling me that in the last two years the front office can't find somebody better?

and btw - Olivea was injured and had a bit of a drug problem. It was never a performance problem. Dood had a bad back

27. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I am hoping that drafting a good RT will be our number one priority next year. For now, we have Clary (...ugh!) and apparently no one on the roster that is better than him at this time. Until Clary or somebody else steps up, we are going to have to bolster that side of the line with a TE and / or a back otherwise Rivers will be lumbering for his life out there.

Next week against Atlanta should be the game where we see the starters for about 3 quarters. Since Atlanta will have seen game tape, we all know that they will be attacking the right side of the line all night. Let's see how the coaches and the tackles respond. I sure hope they get it fixed...really, really soon!

Go Chargers!!!