1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jerry Rice : "Norv Turner is the worst coach I've played with at any level all the way down to pee-w

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    Sad but true.

And this is not to say I am thrilled with Norv, the gnashing of teeth has just gotten old.

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    But you wouldn't have posted a video if it said something positive about him. You chose this one because it backs up your opinion, so you pretty much started another thread to let us know how you feel about Norv.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I get a kick out of all the Norv hate and I miss that dude that used to whine about him all the time. It seems that Dean has already made his decision and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. This team has never been feared by other teams, they always have known "stay close" and the Bolt's defense will fold. So in conclusion, every Bolt head coach has been a Norv in that we have no Lombardi. So y'all can hate till the cows come home, let me know how that works out for you.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. "Riveras Defense" is probably somewhere in the middle of the league. It isn't even top 10

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    In "Rivera's Defense" there is none.

6. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Au contraire Buckaroo.

I believe it was the kickass Chargers that beat the living **** out of your Boston Patriots in the AFL championship about a lifetime ago.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    It's a perfect example because there was already at least two active "Norv must go" threads, threads in which you were posting in prior to posting this thread, yet you still felt the need to post another one.

You can spin it however you like by pointing out that this gives another perspective, it will not negate the fact that this thread covers the same exact base subject "Norv Turner is a bad head coach".

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    That doesn't mean Rivera isn't a good DC does it? How many players can you name on defense with multiple pro bowls? Not many. It means that Rivera isn't working with a all star cast like Lebeau is in Pittsburgh. We've had some amazing moments on defense this year. The problem with the defense's problem being inconsistencies and that is due to a lack of all stars on a squad. I mean we have Castillo for crying out loud.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Good argument, bad choice of example. Castillo looked like a star under Wade Phillips.

I'm not saying Castillo is a good player, though, but that fact pokes a bit of a hole in your argument.

10. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Norv is terrible and needs to go.

After that drubbing on the road by the worst team in football with the playoffs on the line, how can people still defend him ?

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    the Bengals are hardly the worst team in football. They've taken just about every team to the final whistle. The Panthers, Broncos, Cardinals, and 49ers have been worse than the Bengals. Panthers taking the cake for worst team.

That doesn't really make the loss to them less embarrassing, though.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    True, but this Charger team had NO business losing to a 3-11 team with playoff hopes on the line. This team just baffles me how we can dominate teams then fall flat on our faces the following week. No consistency whatsoever. I can't put a finger on what's the problem, but I'm willing to go in another direction myself in regards to the head coach (replace Norv).

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Like I said, it doesn't make the loss less embarrassing but they're still not the worst team. They've taken teams like the defending champion Saints, Falcons, Patriots, and Steelers to the final whistle.

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    True and still leaving off he's 2006 career year.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    The Bolt's defense has no teeth, there is no team out there worried about the defense. To game plan for the Chargers is simple, slow them down on offense and their vaunted defense will give up the big play.

16. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    not even the Colts?

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Ask Manning, I'm sure he can give you a better answer than I.

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
  19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    On Norv Turner.

“I love playing for him,” center Nick Hardwick said. “People on the outside don’t see his passion or know how the players really care for him.”

Embarrassing Bolts season is on coach, GM - SignOnSanDiego.com

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    2 things, asking a current player what they think about their coach is a little unfair. I totally believe Hardwick, but if he really didn't like Norv, 90% of players wouldn't say anything about their current coach.

With that said, Brandon Lloyd was on the radio here in Denver when they announced the firing of Josh McDaniels, and he was basically saying the same thing about him. So just because player like a coach, it doesn't mean that coach is any good. Lets be honest, when was the last time we heard a Patriots player say they love Belichick? They don't, because it is irrelevant if players love their coach or not

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Ask Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, or Steve... Burline? A lot of ex-Norv players have expressed respect for him.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Chargers players heaved praise on the likes of Mike Riley, June Jones, Harland Svare (ok maybe not him so much), and the fans knew better -that is - the ones with their heads out of their rears.

This is a small industry so back stabbing is kept to a minimum (*mostly*). Bridges are rarely burned because you never know who may be your boss tomorrow.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Nearly everyone who played for him while he was a OC, love him. Nearly everyone who has played for him while he was a HC, don't like him.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Show me the statistics to back that please...

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    just because player like a coach, it doesn't mean that coach is any good. Lets be honest, when was the last time we heard a Patriots player say they love Belichick? They don't, because it is irrelevant if players love their coach or not

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks for quoting me, and it is true.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Sclereth and Rice dislike him. Those are the only ones I saw... Rice was on the downside of his career and didnt get the star treatment when he couldnt produce at the levels the young WRs around him were. Sour Grapes.

But hey, you hang your hat on what ever you like. I could theoretically show you a dozen quotes of players who like Norv. I have seen far more players talking about respecting him, current and past than not. But that does not play into your Norv hate so you ignore it and act like you know what is going on in the locker room more than the players do. Ok, but if you wont see the forest for the trees that is on you.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And as I and many others have pointed out, 'liking' your coach is irrelevant. Does it man Josh McD should have kept his job because the Broncos players liked him? Does it mean we should have kept Jones and Marty because many players liked him?

This is a results based league, and whether you players like you or not is irrelevant if you are not producing on the field, and if your players are not showing that commitment on the field.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Anything that does not support your chosen mind set you say is irrevelent. Norv has had 3 winning seasons as head Coach, and no losing seasons. Yet you want to say it is terrible. Ok... I think that is obtuse, but that doesnt matter. So You are talking to a brick wall... I am talking to a brick wall... I am done talking. You may now have the last word.