1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jerry Sanders or Steve Francis?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, May 27, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Does anybody have an idea or an opinion of which mayor gives us a better chance to get the new stadium done and keep the Chargers in San Diego?

Why don't we use this thread to post anything that Sanders or Francis has stated regarding the Chargers? Personal opinions are welcome too.

IMO, Sanders has done some good things. Hasn't really gotten any results but he's making a lot more effort than our last mayor. Seems to me that he wants to make it happen and can if the Spanos family is willing to wait a bit longer than they had anticipated.
    On the other hand, I haven't heard Francis say anything regarding the Chargers yet.

Does anyone have some input?

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Each of the candidates:

Eric Bidwell:
    I currently see no reason for the city to go out of its way to affect the business of a professional sports team, but am open to arguments to the contrary.

Steve Francis:
    No responsible big-city mayor would allow a professional sports team to leave without at least engaging in a vigorous dialogue, but under Jerry Sanders, that's exactly what happened. As mayor, I will take a hands-on approach to keeping the Chargers in our city. The Chargers are valued members of our community, uniting residents of all backgrounds, and bringing in millions of dollars in sales-tax revenue and tourism business each year. Sports fans deserve a mayor who will be proactive and identify new county, state and federal incentives to retain the Chargers; as mayor, I will do so.

James Hart:
    Not to allow football to distract from vastly more important issues or be used to divert the public's attention while someone is walking out the back with the kitchen sink, I will answer your question. If you look at all stadiums and great structures over the world, you will see that these things improve with age. As they become historical and collect memories of famous athletes and great playoffs, they become more valued with age. We should not move the stadium but allow it to stay, insist that it stay and continue to build its place in history, accumulate memories and be a place that a Grandpa can take his grandchildren and tell them of the games he saw as a kid. We must not allow greedy profiteers to move it or rebuild it just because there's a huge profit to be made. It will be at the expense of memories and a history that money cannot buy.

Floyd Morrow:
    I believe they should build at the current site with no public monies involved, the quid pro quo being a longterm land lease in exchange for an ironclad guarantee of not moving.

Jerry Sanders:
    The Chargers are a regional asset; the exact location in which they play in San Diego is irrelevant. I support Chula Vista's efforts to build a stadium for the Chargers, and want to do everything possible to allow them to succeed. If for some reason that effort fails, I would be happy to re-open discussions with the team about the Qualcomm Stadium site. I have stated repeatedly that I will not support the dedication of any tax dollars or city property for this project without a positive revenue stream in return.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Thanks, that's what I needed to see.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't live in San Diego so I can't vote, but I urge all who can to vote for Francis.

He will run the city like he runs his business, with great success.

On a side note, my wife used to work for his company, AMH.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks for the feedback, BoltzRule. Very helpful!!! :tup:

Might want to make this a sticky with the "New Stadium" thread.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    A sticky in the politics section maybe. :lol:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not really because this is strictly about what each candidates take is on the Chargers.

Very few people have as strong of an opinion about this election as compared to the presidential election.

Regardless... It's ALL about keep the Chargers in San Diego!!!! :bolt:

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't trust Francis, and I really don't like the way he has run his campaign. It's been relentless smearing... Francis is saying whatever it takes to get elected at this point.

I need to read up on the candidates some more before making a decision.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    you take thing way to seriously sometimes. :icon_tease:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I seriously hope I make the right decision in this election!!! :yes:

Could be a BIG factor in the Chargers future in San Diego!!! :yes:

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I wanted to post a picture of Steve Francis (the Basketball player) just being a Smart *** but I found the candidate,Francis' web site.
    Here it is:

http://www.steveformayor.com/

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I know Floyd Morrow, and he's who I'd pick. Government, Local or otherwise, is fundamentally different from business. Business is about taking risks to success, government is about limiting risk. Business is about making money, government, of necessity, is about spending it-like it or not. Floyd Morrow can probably get a deal done.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm going to vote for sanders

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Why?
    Just curious.

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. No one has really jumped out to me as a must vote.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    1. I'll state it up front that I've known Sanders for almost a decade and like him as a person
    2. I think he's done a solid job getting the city on its feet, its still got a ways to go but its making good progress
    3. He's shown some good leadership in crisis situations
    4. Steve Francis offers nothing outside of platitudes and standard horsecrap about what he'd change

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Anyone see this yet?

Chargers scold Sanders' camp

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This I agree with. EC brought up a good point when he mentioned that the Francis campaign has been nothing but relentless smearing.

Though I do like the quote posted in here regarding Francis speaking of the Chargers but I'm not convinced yet.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Now this guy is dumb!!!
    This is almost as bad as one (almost) candidate a few years back when his suggestion was "why don't we make Qualcomm a soccer stadium or tell Taglibue that were ready for an expansion team." :lol:

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoltzRule
    James Hart:
    Not to allow football to distract from vastly more important issues or be used to divert the public's attention while someone is walking out the back with the kitchen sink, I will answer your question. If you look at all stadiums and great structures over the world, you will see that these things improve with age. As they become historical and collect memories of famous athletes and great playoffs, they become more valued with age. We should not move the stadium but allow it to stay, insist that it stay and continue to build its place in history, accumulate memories and be a place that a Grandpa can take his grandchildren and tell them of the games he saw as a kid. We must not allow greedy profiteers to move it or rebuild it just because there's a huge profit to be made. It will be at the expense of memories and a history that money cannot buy.

The Coleseum in Rome already did this. If the Murph keeps deteriorating, it will be in good company. If we use it for ultimate fighting, the vibes will be just right.