1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets DC talks about Rivers' "flaws"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Jets’ defensive coordinator talks about Philip Rivers’ flaws
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 22, 2011, 6:50 AM EDT

Usually when we hear NFL players or coaches offering critical assessments of their upcoming opponents, it’s just mindless bluster like calling someone a prick or saying “our receivers are better than their receivers.” So it was interesting to hear Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine offer up a critique of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers that was less a personal attack and more a description of the Jets’ game plan.

Pettine noted that Rivers has a sidearm delivery that makes his passes come out low, and he stressed the importance of his defensive linemen getting their hands up to knock Rivers’ passes down.

“We talk about it when we give the scouting report,” Pettine said. “I think it’s critical for our defensive line to understand, that if [they] get stalemated on the rush, then go ahead and get a hand up. He’s 6-foot-5, but the release point is not that of somebody that is 6-5. It’s documented that he’s had more than an average amount of balls deflected on him. That’s always something for our guys.”

Pettine also said Rivers doesn’t have a strong arm and therefore needs to get everything into all of his throws, which makes it important to disrupt him in the pocket.

“And he’s also a guy, he doesn’t have the biggest arm in the world, and most quarterbacks like to step into their throws,” Pettine said. “Some can do it, some have strong enough arms where they can be falling away and make a throw, but most can’t. So that’s always a thing for us, that hey, listen, if I do get stuck, just keep pushing the pocket, and anytime we can throw bodies at the feet of a quarterback, we should be in good shape.”

With the Chargers taking on the Jets on Sunday, Rivers will get a chance to prove Pettine wrong.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Sounds pretty spot on. If I'm gonna nitpick Rivers style....
    1. Falling backwards when he makes throws sometimes.
    2. Low release, and low in his stance under center, limiting his vision.
    3. Deep balls rarely catch WR in stride.

And only recently he's bailing on the pocket too quickly. But thats understandable when your GM completely ignores the right side of the O-line and pays the worst RT in the league 20 million dollars.

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    There's worse. Just ask Michael Vick.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yep, a lot of good that "rocket arm" has done him this season. ;)

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

I'm not saying any of these are crippling flaws or that he does them way too often. You can count on 1 or 2 off balance throws every game, and 1 or 2 under thrown balls (some times both in correlation).

He's still a top 5 QB, and when he's standing tall in the pocket he is as good as Brady and Rodgers.

6. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    I guess my point wasn't very clear. I meant there's worse at RT, just ask Michael Vick.

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Why is it when those guys in Nuevo York talk sh*t everybody is listening to what they have to say??!! I think they are all full of crap over there. Hey! Howya doing?!! Sad bastards!

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    He ain't the worst, but he's regressed a **** of a lot this season.
    Still not sure whether OLB or OT is more important in round 1 next year. AJ'll probably trade away for top 12 WR pick anyway....

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Big city, lots of walls to throw at, high probability that **** will stick.

10. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I certainly hope our "flawed" quarterback racks up some huge numbers against this clown's "D" and the Chargers go to 5 and 1.

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    good thing he keeps his lips tight on sanchez. If rivers is flawed sanchez must look like a highschool qb to him.

12. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    OT definitely. If our o-line could keep Rivers clean every game, our TOP would be staggering. I have seen the light and believe that the trenches come first. If Tommy Harris reverts back to his Chicago days our d-line will be amazing. Harris and Garay? QB nightmare.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I was at the Denver game. Harris looked like crap. He's done effort-wise, from what I saw.
    I guess it depends on who's available in the 2nd round (assuming we don't trade it away). All else being equal, you're going to have a better chance of picking up a starting RT in the 2nd than a starting OLB in the 2nd.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We could certainly use an upgrade at ROT, but no way in hell would I endorse spending a 1st rounder at that position.

Well, MAYBE if we pick at #32. :rolleyes:

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Y'all worry to much, folks have been hurt up early and there is still time for this team to peak and bring it all home.

16. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    That's really on Hardwick. Hardwick has a very low stance for a center. Given Rivers height, it makes him look awkward to stoop so low to the snap, but that's because Hardwicks stance is lower than any other center I've seen.

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I don't see much of a problem with the Chargers handling the Jets....but I'm starting Cutler and not Rivers in my fantasy FB league.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    No gameday thread 2 hours to kickoff??

19. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Someone is slacking. ;)

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    WAKE UP SAN DIEGANS!!!

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I could have started it at 6am EST - but I figured someone has the honors.