1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets Just Enabling Cromartie's Behavior

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I saw this little article on AOL, wanted to share;

3/09/2010 7:45 PM ET By David Whitley

After fathering seven children by six women in five states, you'd think Antonio Cromartie would have trouble finding a new partner.
    The New York Jets not only have a crush on Cromartie, they'll pay to help his bygones be bygones. You don't have to be Dr. Laura to shriek the obvious question:
    What are you thinking?
    "We're working with Antonio to give him the best chance to be successful," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said.
    What they're doing is having unprotected football sex. Unable to sign Tiger Woods, the Jets traded a third-round pick to San Diego for Cromartie. They not only got a cornerback, they got all the baggage that comes with being one tryst short of an Octo-dad.
    Share that includes paternity-payment bills so large that Cromartie needed a $500,000 advance. All those mothers apparently couldn't wait until his first paycheck in September to buy baby formula.
    That gets to the real worry for Jets fans. If a guy is that irresponsible with his flesh-and-blood, what's he going to be like with you?
    Sure, general managers regularly invite players into their locker rooms whom they wouldn't let within 100 yards of their daughters. But no team has consummated the kind of relationship New York has with Cromartie.
    He couldn't take care of his families on $1.7 million a year. What makes anyone think he's suddenly going to grow up?
    "I made some wrong decisions in my first two years [in the league]," Cromartie said, "and I have to take on that responsibility."
    In other words, he's a changed man. Where have a billion women heard that before?
    "It took me awhile to man up and say, 'I gotta do what I'm supposed to do and accept responsibilities.' "
    -- Antonio Cromartie I'd like to give Cromartie, now entering his fifth season, the benefit of the doubt, but sheesh -- seven "wrong decisions?"
    After No. 2 or 3, I might invest in a box of condoms. After No. 4 or 5, I might investigate a vasectomy. You know they're reversible, Antonio.
    After No. 6, I might ask my agent to send me to Tiger's sex-rehab clinic. After No. 7, one word:
    Eunuch.
    The most impressive thing is Cromartie planted all these seeds before he hit 25. If this keeps up, Shawn Kemp is going to have to come out of retirement to defend his procreation crown.
    As prodigious as Kemp was, Seattle and Cleveland never had to front him paternity money. The Jets say they just want to help young Antonio get his life in order -- and in the meantime help themselves to an ex-Pro Bowl talent.
    This transaction has followed the traditional choreography: Player has character issues. Old team gets fed up and dumps him. Player says he's turned over a new condom.
    "It took me awhile to man up and say, 'I gotta do what I'm supposed to do and accept responsibilities,' " Cromartie said. "I can't point the finger at anybody else."
    Nice words. The problem is Cromartie said them before last season. He proceeded to have another disappointing year and point fingers at coaches, San Diego's defensive scheme and even the training camp food.
    Then there was the Chargers' playoff game, when he barely pointed, much less lifted a finger to stop the Jets' Shonn Greene on a 53-yard touchdown run. Cromartie is much better hitting on women than running backs.
    He's a football heartthrob who'll break your heart. If you want to collapse in the playoffs, Cromartie is just the kind of character-challenged player you build your team around.
    And now he's going to New York? If he couldn't behave himself in San Diego, what's he going to do in the place that gave America its first official city condom?
    That was in 2007, when the New York Health Department starting giving out free condoms at bars, restaurants, gyms, community centers and coffeehouses. No word if Cromartie demanded a machine in his locker.
    By coincidence, the new condom cover was chosen this week. More than 15,000 online voters selected packaging with a computer power button. Look at your computer and you'll see why.
    If only they'd waited another week, voters might have been swayed and we'd have a cover featuring Broadway Antonio trying to intercept Ivanka Trump.
    It's not that Jets owner Woody Johnson wants another 32 mouths to feed at the company picnic. The team believes Rex Ryan will be a good influence on Cromartie.
    The Jets are risking more than a third-round pick, however. They're risking team chemistry, not to mention 70,000 irate fans throwing condoms at Cromartie the first time he ducks a tackle.
    If New York really wanted to help Cromartie, it would treat him like the problem child he is. He's never taken responsibility because he's never had to. Let him file for fiscal, as well as moral, bankruptcy. Now, instead of making him see there are consequences to actions, the Jets have only encouraged more action.
    Paternity-suit problems? No problem.
    Maybe Cromartie really will be responsible this time. That's what at least six women believed, only to eventually discover the truth.
    When you hop into bed with Cromartie, your problems have just begun.

David Whitley is a national columnist for FanHouse

Pointy :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The Jets are about to find this one out the hard way :).

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Maybe he can do his "Matador" act again if and when we face them!

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    No pun intended, I'm sure...

Pointy :icon_banana:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I can't wait until we play the Jets again.

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    word...

7. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Cro's problem is well known. If the Jets is willing to take him in, the coaches must believe that they have ways to straight him out. Let's see how he would develop the next season.

This is from the Buccaneers' board:

Cromartie suffered when the Chargers lost their pass rush. Now he's going to a team that will flat out rush the passer, and Cromartie can sit back and get back to jumping routes and picking off balls.

If Ryan can reform Cromartie, then the Jets will a pair of shut down corners.

8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The Jets have a pathetic pass rush. My Jets fans constantly complain about it.

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Exactly, what pass rush??

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Cromartie is much better hitting on women than running backs.:lol:

11. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I just came here to post that! :lol:

That article was funny as hell!

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    That's what she said

13. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Good article. The Buc fan that thinks Cro is a great cover corner does not know what he is talking about. Cro is average in coverage at best IMO. The guy has speed, but no heart. A physical receiver can dominate Cro all day long.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm glad he's the Jest's problem now.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    he can run with the best of them but as we have seen before, a cornerback doesn't just have to run with a receiver

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, there are a lot of Chargers fans that said the same thing. I agree with you, he was average at best in coverage

17. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    If New York really wanted to help Cromartie, it would treat him like the problem child he is. He's never taken responsibility because he's never had to.

===========

Good thought the guy had there. The problem with "problem" people, athletes, kids, etc... is that they keep getting babied so there is no need to change their behavior.

We're not talking some poor working class nerd trying to support a family by working two jobs at Home Depot and McDonald's. We're talking about a millionaire.

Cro is maybe one of the dumbest athletes I've ever read about.