1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets leave permanent mark on Tomlinson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 6, 2010 11:36 AM ET

LaDainian Tomlinson didn't want to live in the past.

That's why, upon arriving in New York, he was inked with a New York Jets tattoo on his calf, to match the lightning bolt tattoo he's long had on the other half.

"I think that shows the type of commitment he has," Jets coach Rex Ryan said.

Or it shows the risks of starting a tattoo theme early in your career. Where's he going to put the St. Louis Rams tattoo next year?

:lol:

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Five moves that won't work

2. LaDainian Tomlinson lands with the New York Jets: For all the splashy moves the Jets have made this offseason, this is the one with the most potential to disappoint. Somebody please tell me what Tomlinson gives the Jets that former running back Thomas Jones -- who was released earlier this offseason -- doesn't. Jones ran for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns last season while L.T. gained 730 and averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Maybe the Jets thought Jones wouldn't embrace the idea of taking a backseat to second-year runner Shonn Greene. Maybe they saw Tomlinson as a big name who still brings professionalism and presence to any locker room. What can't be debated, however, is how this will play out in the end. Bottom line: L.T. simply ain't what he used to be.

Our prediction: Greene won't have to worry about losing his job any time soon.

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Five moves that will work

2. Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego Chargers: Mathews might not have been the 12th-best player in the 2010 draft, but he should easily rank in the top five for impact. General manager A.J. Smith traded up to get him to prove a point. LaDainian Tomlinson, a future Hall of Famer, was cut after averaging 3.3 yards a carry and rushing for a disappointing 730 yards last season. Tomlinson said after the season that coach Norv Turner's scheme and the offensive line were to blame for his off season.
    Mathews comes from Fresno State with fresh legs and a lot of talent. The plan is for him to get 240 carries and run behind that same line. The Chargers will monitor the numbers between Mathews and Tomlinson each week. If Mathews averages 4.5 yards a carry, he should get 1,080 yards. If Tomlinson averages less than 3.5 yards a carry with the Jets, he'll have 840.

4. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Or it shows the risks of starting a tattoo theme early in your career. Where's he going to put the St. Louis Rams tattoo next year?

LMFAO
    :icon_rofl:

5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I'm just glad Rex Ryan had a chance to complete this story with his lap band altered fat mouth.

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    THat's a fine challange next year. Ryan has the better part of it. Doesn't need to have a tatoo for running 1.000 yards.
    LT permanent mark on the Chargers is vanishing quickly.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They can't say he is running behind the same line. The line last year was devastated by injuries and had a rookie RG who is bound to improve in year 2. To say he is running behind the same line is ridiculous.

With that said, I don't think he will make much of an impact with the Jets, although I do think he will rush for around 4ypc

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    BFD! :yes:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Any pix of this monstrosity online?. What is he thinking?. He could be a bigtime back up and gone at year end. Stupid, plain stupid.

10. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Even if he doesn't last past one season, there's always laser removal.

But yeah, I think it's more of a symbolic gesture. He had to prove his commitment to his new team. While it will rub the Charger fan-base the wrong way, the man is looking at the present and to the future. Can't blame him for that.

Oh wells, best of luck to LT next year.

11. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I think dan fouts or lance alworth just took over the number one spot of favorite all-time san diego sports figure.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT is not a Charger any longer so he's free to do as he wishes. I still believe LT has a couple good years in him, not great but enough to force other teams to respect him. It's too bad that he couldn't just zip his lips and work something out here, Ryan would have benefited greatly if LT could have swallowed a little pride.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    alworth's been mine lol

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree with you, but I honestly believe that even had a kept his mouth shut and offered to take a pay cut, the team just didn't want him here anymore. I don't think he ever bought into Norv's system, and AJ wanted him out because of it. It was time for him to go, I just wish he and AJ could have acted like grown ups and not taken shots at each other

15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    wow, when i first saw this i thought it was a joke.

kind of reminds me of the dude whogets a tattoo of every girlfriend he ever gets.....:no:

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You know that guy too? :lol:

17. txcharger

txcharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    lt is my favorite charger ever and one of the best rb's in history. He can do no wrong in my book. Wish him all the success in the world. As long as it is not againt SD

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Now...what if he has a season ending injury before ever playing a snap for the Jets, and gets released at the end of the season?

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  20. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    He can change it to a FAT guy Rex Ryan tatoo. He may not be a Jet but he can be a RR honk!!!