1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets overtake Patriots as the team to hate

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    The New York Jets and coach Rex Ryan have a target on their backs for 2010.

By Tim Graham
    ESPN
    4-1-2010

Why can't Rex Ryan shut the hell up?

Don't the Jets realize they lucked into the playoffs and aren't that good?

Those delusional fans with their obnoxious "J-E-T-S" chant couldn't be any more grating.

Same with trash-talking players like Bart Scott, who's just begging to have a game ball crammed down his gullet.

Even the owner whines too much.

That pretty-boy quarterback and all those interceptions. Sheesh, is he overrated.

And now the whole irritating production will be on "Hard Knocks" this summer?

Oh, the New York Jets sure can angry up the blood.

There has been a noticeable turn within the AFC East and perhaps the entire league when it comes to the most hated team. Based on reader feedback and the disdain expressed on sports-talk shows and message boards, the Jets have replaced the New England Patriots as the team opposing fans love to hate.

While the relatively dull Patriots bowed meekly from the first round of the playoffs, the Jets continued to churn out material upon which their detractors could harp. The ultimate AFC East putdown has changed from Spygate comments to snide remarks about Ryan's weight.

Of course, nobody would say a peep if the Jets weren't good. Being loathed means you're worth the bother.

"When things are going well and fans are saying crazy things, it's a sign of respect," Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We're definitely happy a lot of attention is being paid this way."

Much of it can be attributed to fan envy. With few exceptions, loyalists would love for their teams to deliver as the Jets do.

The Jets are the NFL's most entertaining organization, which is why they were chosen for this year's edition of "Hard Knocks," an all-access training-camp series on HBO.

Only two teams went farther than the Jets did in 2009. They have a front office that identifies a need and aggressively pursues a remedy, whether through trades or free agency.

The players all appear to be having a blast. Ryan lets them speak their minds -- and infamously flashed his middle finger at some Miami Dolphins zealots a week before the Super Bowl. While other teams have policies that gag their players, the Jets encourage them to talk loud and proud. On the field, Ryan cuts his players loose with game plans that get them jacked up.

"That's the old saying, if you're having too much fun, you're not working hard enough," Cotchery said. "Everyone sees how much fun we're having, how guys are able to be themselves and express themselves however we want to express ourselves.

"But we work extremely hard, and we reward ourselves with the fun. A lot of players don't experience that fun. There are some people on the other sidelines who are jealous."

Cotchery said he noticed opposing fans start to build a healthy dislike for the Jets toward the end of the 2008 season.

Quarterbacked by Brett Favre, the archbishop of lightningrodism, the Jets started the season 8-3 and became a fashionable Super Bowl pick. But Favre's arm went limp down the homestretch. The Jets careened through December, finishing 9-7 and out of the playoffs. They fired tedious head coach Eric Mangini and brought in a charismatic figure.

"When Rex came in, [the hatred] went to another level," Cotchery said.

The rookie head coach immediately was viewed as a blowhard for suggesting -- at his introductory news conference, no less -- he would take the Jets to a championship.

Jets fans loved Ryan's brash demeanor, but his bombast chapped most everyone else. He courted criticism with his brash statements. His tone that was alternately humorous and confrontational. He sneered that he wasn't interested in kissing Bill Belichick's rings and got into a verbal joust with Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder.

Ryan, the face of the Jets, became a chief NFL villain.

"I'd rather be hated and have him leading us," Cotchery said, "than have to play against him."

The Jets didn't look like a joke when they opened the season 3-0. But then they fell apart, losing six of their next seven games. All the while, Ryan kept talking up his team. He came off as arrogant, a loudmouth with a losing record in late November.

After a painful Week 15 loss to the Atlanta Falcons gave the Jets a 7-7 record, Ryan declared him team mathematically eliminated from postseason contention.

How absurd it became, then, when the Jets made the playoffs. Opposing fans were beside themselves. The Indianapolis Colts and Cincinnati Bengals rested their star players, allowing the Jets to win their last two games and earn a wild-card entry. Ryan distributed to his players a postseason itinerary that included a parade through the Canyon of Heroes on Feb. 9.

Their success widely was viewed as a fluke. Other fans ridicule Jets followers for getting excited about 2010.

Cotchery acknowledges the derision that exists in the stands and around the league.

"We still have that in mind," Cotchery said. "We still have some respect around the league, but we do still have some teams that don't respect us. That's very well in mind. That's big motivation for us."

"That generates energy and excitement for us. We like it when the fans don't like us."

2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Instill hate NE more

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    F.E.A :icon_twisted: !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I dislike any team that are not the Chargers. :yes:

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Chargers turned down Hard Knocks. Jets were second fiddle. :yes:

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    NE's reloading, Dallas is unreliable, Pittsburgh is doing it's best Bengals impression on the police blotter.... so the Jets are the new flavor of the week (year?). All this talk in the offseason means jack, we know that all too well here.

Any team that talks trash about my team or it's players is a team I "hate". :evil: There is no envy here.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    ???? I don't get it

Jets: Young likable gunslinger QB. Affable goofy coach who turned around a team of underdogs. Hard nosed working class team who play above their talent level.

NE: Cheaters. Won three championships via cheating. Smug cheating A-hole coach. Jack-off fans with holier than thou attitudes and annoying speech impediments. "Where did pahk the cah"... oh, fack you, you inbred chowder heads.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    co-sign

9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    i'll sign too

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Me too. The Jets are just last years version of 08 falcons. Rookie HC, rookie QB, strong running game and strong defense. Falcons followed up their NFCC game apperance by missed the PO's in 09 and the Jets will do the same in 2010.

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh cromartie can help them out with that!

12. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
  13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Nope......Still hate the F-N GAY PATS THE MOST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dear Patriots
    [​IMG]

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Traitors.

All of you. :yes:

There is no bigger POS to hate in this league.

Decades of getting our asses handed to us.

Losing the AFC Championship in our house to these bowel dwellers.

Watching our fans get stabbed and our stadium taken over by scum.

You all should be ashamed to even think about coronating a new public enemy number one.

I will never tire of the asswhoopin' we have put on our arch nemesis and it is not the Patriots or Jets either.

F THE RAIDERS

16. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Well yeah of course - I think the Raider hate goes without saying tho Trumpy.

but in terms of fans across the league the Raiders are just too pathetic to be considered public enemy #1. At this point they are such a jacked up organization even players would rather retire than be traded there.

I love it :lol:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dude, seriously. We dont have to wish ill on the Raiders. So long as they have Old uncle Al he does it for us...

18. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I know I'll get bashed for this but here it goes.

The reason we hate those two teams is because our team FAILED to win against them when they were supposed to succeed. If anything we should be upset at our team for not coming through when they have all of this "talent".

I think there is a bit of jealousy regarding the Patriots (and to some degree the Jets) ability to come through when it matters. This team hasn't shown that ability yet, and they've been good for a while now. There are no excuses for these guys to choke the way they do year after year.

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    A picture says a thousand words...

[​IMG]

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Of course I'm pissed our team choked - you did see this place after the game right? It was OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! but plenty of teams have beaten us when we played ****** and I don't hate most of them... the thing that really stirs up my football hate is the bullshit afterwards - dancing on our 50yard line, mocking our players and being general dbags about winning. That and super obnoxious fans... both of which Oakland, Boston AND New York are famous for producing.

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I've hated the pats since before I was a chargers fan

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Amen!

I can never hate any team and their **** fan base more than the Raiders.

23. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I agree. But it should mean enough to the Chargers to prevent the opposing team from doing that. In other words, they should approach the playoffs with the mentality that losing is not an option. Instead, they let a rookie coach mentally ambush them into thinking that ONE CORNER can shut their entire offense.

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Care to go on a rant about the ocean being filled with salt water?

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  26. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just b/c they didn't get it done doesn't mean it didn't matter to the Chargers... Like I said, I was plenty pissed off about the chokejob by the Bolts and had the Jets (or Pats) not gone out of their way to act like dbags about beating us I could let it go. But I'm not wired to just let it go when insult is added to injury. :icon_shrug:

27. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    great, you just ruined my "princess Leia in that outfit" fantasy for life, thanks for nothing :tdown:

:icon_tease:

29. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

:lol:

[​IMG]

30. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Jason Taylor situation gets confusing

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 8:31 PM ET

Free-agent defensive end/linebacker Jason Taylor reportedly remains close to doing a deal with the Jets.

A report on whether he'll be meeting with Dolphins coach Tony Sparano has been undermined, but not openly doubted.

Taylor's agent wants him to sign with the Jets.

That's the short version of the latest update from Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. For the full version, we'll defer to Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.