1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JETS PLAYERS CALLIN SAN DIEGO SOFT!!! GOTTA READ THIS!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Haterproof2020, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    :icon_twisted:
    Perlman/The Star-LedgerDarrelle Revis (center) and the New York Jets think their physical style of play can pound the San Diego Chargers. Take our PollJets set for San Diego
    Will the Jets beat the Chargers in the AFC divisional round?

Yes, bumping off the Bengals was no fluke
    Maybe, I won't count the Jets out
    No, they're in way over their heads

Related NewsArticlesLupica: Beyond Rex's bluster is reason to believeFavre's nephew looks to follow same pathSaints bring back McAllister, could play vs. CardsSanchez's father knows how to run hook and ladder Are Chargers in store for a shining legacy?On the day he was introduced as coach, Rex Ryan vowed to transform the Jets into the most physical team in the NFL. It wasn't a hot-air promise. They went from big mouth to smash mouth.

The Jets believe they can beat up any opponent, and when they look at the pass-happy Chargers...well, let's just say they wonder if the Bolts can take a punch. No one used the word "soft," but there's a palpable confidence in the Jets' locker room, a feeling they can Ground and Pound them into the Qualcomm Stadium turf.

"This is the brawler versus the boxer," linebacker Bart Scott said Thursday. "We'd come in, of course, as the brawler."

Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game will be one of those polar-opposite matchups. The Jets, with the league's top rushing attack and top defense, are a throwback team. The Chargers are new age, a team that produced nearly twice as many passing yards as the Jets.

The Jets will run the ball, trying to break the opponents' will - 4.5 yards and a cloud of dis. The Chargers play pitch-and-catch, with Philip Rivers throwing long balls to his NBA-sized receiving corps.

If the Jets can dictate the tempo - in other words, avoid a shootout - they're confident they can pull off one of the biggest upsets in franchise history.

"It's going to be a street fight," tackle Damien Woody said hopefully. "We're kind of like the backyard brawlers. We're out there, trying to bludgeon people. That's the way we go about our business."

The Jets' challenge is not unlike what the 1990 Giants faced in Super Bowl XXV, when they upset the high-scoring Bills by controlling the ball and mugging their offensive skill players. That was one of the classic examples of power beating finesse.

"Yeah, that would be the blueprint, for sure," Ryan said.

Why are the Jets so confident? In a way, they are kind of a dinosaur in a league gone pass crazy. But they like their "formula," as Ryan likes to call it. They believe it's the most reliable approach, less apt to suffering a bad day at the office.

"When you play the way we play, the games are always going to be close," Scott said. "When you play the style (the Chargers) play, you can either blow out somebody early or get blown out."

With the Chargers, it has been mostly the former. During their 11-game winning streak, they have outscored opponents in the first quarter, 83-16. For the season, they have the biggest first-quarter disparity in the league. It will be critical for the Jets to survive the initial onslaught.

So why are the Jets so confident? A few reasons:

• They believe they can run all over the Chargers, ranked only 20th in run defense. Coach Norv Turner said the stats are misleading, that his front seven has improved, but take a closer look. In the last seven games, San Diego is allowing 5.1 yards per carry.

"I'm sure they're going to be doing live nine-on-seven stuff all week, getting ready for us," said guard Alan Faneca, referring to run-stopping drills.

• The Jets respect Rivers & Co., a combination that has scored at least 20 points in 22 straight games, but they wonder about the quality of the Chargers' competition. True enough, they have faced only one top-five defense (Cincinnati) during their winning streak - and the Bengals were exposed as a paper lion.

• The Jets also feel they are mentally tougher than the Chargers, having reached this point the hard way. They rallied from a 4-6 record by surviving nearly two months of virtual must-win games. The Chargers won the AFC West by five games and cruised into a bye week.

"We've been in pressure situations for a long time and they had three weeks where they've been coasting it in," Scott said. "That's what you want to lean on: Try to jump on them early and hope they come out flat."

If not, the Jets intend to do some flattening of their own.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...s_want_to_beat_sd_to_punch.html#ixzz0ckNtF12k

THERE CALLING US OUT DIEGO!!!!!

2. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
  3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Jits must die.:yes:

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    You've mouthed off for a week straight, time to pay the piper

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Now, I live near New York, and I can say for a fact that this statement is true--the players and Rexy both think they have EARNED their playoff spot, and it pisses off some of the local radio personalities (like Mike Francesa) who believe that they were given, in Francesa's words, "one of the biggest gifts in NFL history."

Must-win games? How about "can't lose if we tried" games? Under most circumstances, I would believe that this article is simply putting words in the mouths of the players, but from what I am hearing from sources close to the team, this is how they actually feel.

J-E-T-S: Journey Ends This Sunday

• Like Like x 1
  7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    :lol:OMG, that is freaking highlarious! Bwahahahahahahhahahhaaha:lol:

They need to lay off the absinthe.:icon_party:

Oooo, green. Must drink.

8. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Leave me outta this! :lol: I know you are talking about Rex Ryan.

That guy is a foo. He can talk outta his *** pretty well, though.

9. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Let's look at these seven games, shall we?

Donks: We let Knowshon light us up for 8 YPC in garbage time. Game was over in the first quarter.
    Chiefs: We let a red hot Jamaal Charles go to town on us for over 6.5 YPC...in garbage time. Game was over in the first quarter.
    Browns: We played garbage time the entire game, and a red hot Jerome Harrison still only averaged 3.5 YPC.
    Cowgirls: We played hard the entire game, holding Barber to just over 3 YPC and Jones at just over 5 YPC, which is good considering Felix is a beast.
    Bengals: Held an elite RB, Cedric benson, to 3.5 YPC.
    Titans: It was Chris Johnson charity event--we let him have as many hards as he needed...hell, Cro congratulated him on his final TD :lol:
    Skins: We played our backups the entire game.

Of course, any simple analysis would expose that most of the rushing yards were in garbage time and that, when they tried, the Chargers stopped the run admirably. But alas, most sportswriters are idiotic homers.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I got one thing to say. "DANCE LIKE A BUTTERFLY, STING LIKE A BEE"!!!!

11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The Jet's look soft to me.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Hey, I remember when I called these guys soft earlier this year.

But they flipped a switch and turned nasty pretty quick. Dobbins and Siler brought some real attitude to the defense and it seems the others have taken to it.

They got a taste of the dark side and I think they like it.

I hope Runyan gets a chance to get in there at some point and punch one of those pricks in the mouth.

Bart Scott is one of the most overrated big mouths in the game. So nothing he says holds any water.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    That would require them to use that edumacation, which most JEST fan sportswriters are seriously lacking.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Immature little punks - time to learn the error of your ways

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I seriously want a blowout win in this game just to make all the mediots look foolish.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy with any sort of win, but I want a blowout.

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    In our 11-0 run we scored an average of 30 points a game, and only gave up 16 points a game.

The Jets need something to talk about, all they got is their defense, they are acting like the Ravens little brother :lol:

All I got to say to the Jets comments, is...

Chargers 35 sacks, Jets 32 sacks.

Chargers 14 Int's, Jets 17 Int's.

Chargers 4 Defensive TD's, Jets 3 Defensive TD's.

How did Revis do against us last year in the 49-26 beatdown???? :tdown:

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Our style leads to more blowout losses?

Chargers 3 biggest (and only) losses:
    11 points to the Broncos
    10 points to the Steelers
    5 points to the Ravens

Avg = 8.67 points

Jets 3 biggest losses:
    17 points to the Patriots
    14 points to the Saints
    5 points to the Dolphins

Avg = 12 points

And as far as easy schedules go, the Jets are the team that played 2 teams that didn't even bother trying and have only played 1 top 5 offense.

And as far as who we've played, we've played 3 top 5 defenses (yards) and 2 top 5 defenses in points (bengals were 6th).

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    42-13 Bolts

Wipe your *** with that, Jets. :icon_toast:

19. Altomb

Altomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Tiny wants the play with the Jets...all of them...and he doesn't take to anyone dissing his Chargers.:icon_banana:

Attached Files:

• Tiny.jpg
      Tiny.jpg
      File size:
      49.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I wish it was Sunday already.... I don't care how we win but if I had my wish it would be a nice *** whoopin' for the Jets a la Titans this Xmas or Donkey's last year in week 17 :yes:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice puppy. :tup:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    FIXED

If you're gonna quote The GOAT, get it right.

23. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    This says it all....

Attached Files:

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    OOPS. He's not a goat.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Greatest Of All Time.

And yes he very much is the GOAT.

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Jets want to use the 1990 Giants formula? That's fine. They'll have 3000 yards in penalties then, since the rules for what defenders can do to receivers have changed drastically since then.

The Jets are believing their own hype. With the exception of a couple of games in the 2nd half of the season against the 30th ranked Bills run D and 32nd ranked Bucs run D, the Jets have been very mediocre in terms of total rushing yards per game and yards per carry on the ground.

A team that lost twice to Miami and once to Buffalo is questioning the toughness of the Chargers schedule? LOL

In the 2nd half of the season, the Jets beat Carolina during another Delhomme pick-fest, Buffalo (5-11), TB (3-13), Indy's 2nd stringers and Cincy, while losing to NE, Jacksonville and ATL for a 5-3 record.

In the same timespan, the Chargers beat Philly, Den, KC, Cle, Dallas, Cincy, TN and Washington for an 8-0 record.

The Chargers beat 3 playoff teams in that span. The Jets beat 1 playoff team that was trying (Cincy last week) and lost to another (NE).

Is the Jets offensive front really any bigger or more physical than the Cowboys? Against the 7th ranked Dallas rushing offense, the Bolts allowed 107 yards on the ground, 4.0 yards per rush. For the season Dallas averaged 131 YPG and 4.8 yards a rush. The longest run the Chargers allowed in that game was 12 yards.

Against the 9th ranked Bengals rushing offense, the Bolts allowed 114 yards rushing and 5.4 yards per carry, but those numbers were inflated by a crazy fake end around/Ochocinco lateral reception/reverse field run for 26 yards. If you take away that play those numbers were 21 rushes for 88 yards and 4.1 yards per rush.

For a big, physically dominating team, the Jets D sure got their asses kicked by the Bengals offensive front last weekend, the same Bengals offensive front that could not run the ball consistently against the Chargers. Does that mean the Jets run D is worse than the Bolts?

I can't wait until we destroy these guys on Sunday. The more I look at this game, the more I see the Chargers dominating. The team is prepared, focused and seems oblivious to the pressure. Rivers always plays big against good defenses, and stopping a one dimensional Jets offense is far from daunting, regardless of how well they may or may not run the ball.

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    we all know what hype is good for. how great would it be if we shut em out or held them to only 3 points?

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I was battling insomnia last night, so I did a little research and posted it at another forum.

Here it is:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    This constant excessive belief in their own coach's hype that this team is soft and their team is a steamroller. Here's the problem with being pumped full of confidence with a young team; regardless of whether its piss and vinegar (this Jets team) or was actually earned (2006 Chargers), if you so thoroughly internalize that cockiness you become careless, foolish and prone to moronic mistakes. I've never seen a team that just seems so cocky, so outwardly blatantly cocky walking into a lose and your out playoff game.

Against a team like the Chargers that's deadly. Against any team in the playoffs its wildly deadly. With a team that's one dimensional with a young and not so good rookie QB? Fatal

30. QbanBolt

QbanBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0