1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets Should Trade For Eric Parker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Jets Should Trade For Eric Parker

jetscentral.com

Saturday, June 21st 2008, 12:31 am by Gary Grund

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers are listening to offers for veteran wide receiver Eric Parker.

Parker, 29, has been with the Chargers for the past six seasons, recording a total of 187 catches for 2,586 yards with 11 touchdowns. Parker sat out last season with a toe injury. He has been running and doing other drills this spring, but did not participate in minicamp or offseason sessions. According to the report however, Parker is healthy enough to play and will pass any physical with another team.

The Cleveland Browns are among one of the teams that have shown interest in the veteran Parker. Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinksi worked with Parker in San Diego.

Parker signed a five-year, $13.5 million contract with the Chargers in April of 2006. He is currently due $1.85 million for 2008, $2.225 million for 2009, and $2.65 million for 2010. He will be a free agent in 2011.

The following is the case I make for the Jets to trade for Parker…

a) He is a veteran receiver, which the Jets simply do not have outside of the starting duo of Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery. With the injuries that Coles has had the past two seasons, I am nervous about the Jets having to line up the likes of Brad Smith or Chansi Stuckey as a starting receiver if Coles becomes unavailable at some point during the season. We all know how it looked when Smith or Justin McCareins had to spell Coles last season. At the very least, Parker will give the Jets a reliable target.

b) Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer worked with him in San Diego.

c) He would likely emerge as the top choice for the opening as the starting slot received.

d) Parker has been one of the most prolific and dependable pass catchers over the past five seasons.

e) He would give the Jets a stable punt returner as he was the Chargers primary punt returner between the 2004 and 2006 seasons.

f) The Chargers are believed to be asking for a draft pick somewhere in the final three rounds, which I think most would be fine with considering the Jets could potentially have two draft picks coming to them from the Jonathan Vilma and Dewayne Robertson trades.

Overall, I think picking up a veteran receiver that could and most likely would start in the slot, provide insurance if either starter goes down, give the Jets a primary punt returner for a simple late-round pick would be absolutely a fantastic move. The Jets need to jump at this opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I LOVE clueless people :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    would pf88 need a new handle?

• Like Like x 2
  4. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Yeah, AT THE JETS BOARDS!! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    haha bastard... Charger baby at heart!

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Has Parker ever been prolific at anything?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Parker was a very dependable guy up until the fiasco with new england. that game was completely out of character for him. he was never a #1 or even a #2 WR but he was good in the slot and came through on third down a lot. I won't really miss him but he was not as bad as you guys like to think.

• Like Like x 3
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    concur, i'm just not sure the jets want him

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Actually, he was better than some give him credit for. He was not the high profile game changer that Gates is, but he was a game changer in less obvious ways on one or two or sometimes three plays when he got the ball just ahead of the chains. He had a bad game at a critical time, but that doesn't reflect on his overall presence. Whoever picks him up will find him quite useful. We may have guys with bigger potential impact on the roster now, but I prefer we find out on the field.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't think he was bad at all.
    A few people keep brining up that playoff game but like I keep saying "the finger pointing goes in many directions." Even Rivers sucked in that game. Should be water under the bridge by now.

Can you say "haters without purpose?"

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Unlike some fans I don't hate Parker. I see him as average and not needed with the Chargers. He is injury prone and was through college. He is not fast, has poor vision. He does have great hands and runs very good routes. Davis is faster, better vision, tougher, with all the benefits of Parker. Nannee is still rough around the edges on route running, but he has good hands, hits hard, and good vision.

We also have Sproles, Hester, and Marcus Thomas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Agree.

:tup:

13. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You should join the club, we meet once week to talk about how much we DO hate parker and how much better this board will be when p88f is gone

Memebership is pretty cheap, all it cost is your rep :lol:

• Like Like x 3
  14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

15. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Now that is something I can agree with...:lol:

16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He is also still expecting draft picks for Vilma and Robertson? They werent FA's.:icon_huh:

17. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Good place for him :yes:

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    No they were both traded for conditional draft picks

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Cleveland .... NY Jets .....

Maybe Cam and the Ravens will show some interest.

If so, the cost to acquire him has just moved up to a 3rd/4th .....

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How come your wrists are so smooth?

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Parker has been a dependable chain-mover for us throughout his career here, minus the meltdown against NE. Whoever picks him up will get a good possession receiver - nothing flashy, just a blue-collar type of player.

As others have already said here, I think our stable of receivers will be just fine if Parker is traded. I wish him well - and I hope he takes our little p88f with him wherever he goes. :lol:

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Theres no way we will get a 3rd for him. 4th at best imo with multiple teams interested but i expect to see a 5th.

• Like Like x 1
  23. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_huh:

24. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    just as long as he leave his old lady here :icon_toast::tup:

yeah its called p88f red love:yes:

edit:

hey RTJ u need to start a count down clock for that last RED X on ur sig :yes: or atleast a tic....toc....tic....toc... next 2 the pic

• Like Like x 1
  25. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    :yes:
    :icon_toast:

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That is exactly my estimate as well.

27. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_rofl:
    A 4th???
    You people think there is a GM out there that would give up a 4th for a verrated, undersized ***** WR who folds under pressure and has been injured every year of his life???

AJ really would need to be a good to get someone to give up a 4th

28. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    ONLY if multiple teams are interested, otherwise no...i expect a 5th if he is completely healthy.

Jay McCareins brought a 2nd and he sucks

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Justin McCareins was a 25 year old, 6'2 220lb WR coming off a 800+ yard 7 TD season who just finished his 3rd year in the NFL

not exactly the same situation here