1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets try to make nice with Thomas Jones

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chavez, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Hadn't really thought about the potential locker room impact of the LT signing but it will be interesting. Personally, I don't know what the Jets were thinking...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/jets-try-to-make-nice-with-thomas-jones/

Jets try to make nice with Thomas Jones
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2010 12:10 PM ET
    Kansas City residents got a strange surprise on Sunday as they flipped through the pages of the local newspaper, the Star.

Contained in Sunday's edition was a full-page ad, featuring a Jets logo in the middle of the page, beneath a photo of new Chiefs running back Thomas Jones in his most recent uniform and above the following message: "A person who embodies TOUGHNESS DEDICATION and LEADERSHIP. Thanks TJ for three great seasons." Beneath that appeared the names Woody Johnson, Coach Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, and the New York Jets.

Asked to explain the ad by Judy Battista of the New York Times, Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said, "T. J. meant a lot to this team. We have a tremendous amount of respect for him and the way he goes about his business. We wish him the best and wanted to express our appreciation."

Said a league source in response, "If this guy is all the things they're saying, why didn't they keep him?"

It's a great question.

The source believes that if the Jets believed what they said in the ad, they would have kept Jones. The source also believes that the ad represents an effort by the Jets to defuse a potentially volatile situation.

The locker room is loyal to Jones, and players are still upset, we're told, by the decision to dump him. The locker room also might not be thrilled about the decision to pay LaDainian Tomlinson even more money than the Chiefs paid to Jones.

"Anytime [G.M. Mike] Tannenbaum feels the heat," the source opined, "he reacts like this. . . . Do you think Jones cares about this [ad]? How do you think he feels about the fact that the paid Tomlinson more money than Jones got in Kansas City?"

By all appearances, then, the ad is an exercise in damage control. The Jets are being criticized for letting Jones go, and we think they needed a gesture aimed at persuading Jones to not take advantage of any lingering influence he might have with his former teammates.

After all, the guy was only there for three years. And when the time came to honor the fourth and final year of his contract, they didn't bat an eye about cutting him.

So spare us the P.R. ploys. The Jets made a bad decision by getting rid of Jones, they've arguably compounded it by signing Tomlinson, and the respective performances of the two players and their teams suddenly has become an interesting story line for the 2010 NFL season.

[​IMG]

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Screw the Jets & the NY media. I wish LT the best, but if the organization wrote a check too big for their *** to cash, I sure won't shed a tear.

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    If LT had as many carries as TJ got, he would have posted better #'s with that Oline full of 1st rounders.

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    LT will have the entirety of next year to disprove this post. :)

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I doubt he would have been a 1400 yard guy, but he would have been a 1000-1100 yard guy and had nearly a 4 ypc average. I have no idea how many yards he will get this year, since he will probably got only around 150-175 carries, but he will post nearly a 4ypc average. So I expect 600-700 yards in a part time role, with a MUCH better average per carry than he got here

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    If he happens to prove you wrong and duplicates his 3.3 YPC with acclaimed linemen, would you mind not bashing our run-blocking in every other post? -_-

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sure, but not until then. Any person who watched the games knows that the run blocking was horrible last year, and our RB's had no holes in the majority of their carries.

When LT does better than 3.3ypc, will you admit it was the line and not LT that was to blame?

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I guess the true test will come when the Jetz plug in LT and the opposing defenses from all of their opponents put 8 defenders in the box to try and stop him. Even if they don't stack the box, just because the man is in a different uniform, it doesn't automatically make him any faster or tougher than he was the year before...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

9. RyanLeafComedyCorner

RyanLeafComedyCorner BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I wish Jones swapped and came here to the Bolts instead of the Chargers because now Merriman is going to have to try and tackle him. Good luck.

Jones is a great player who is aging like a fine wine. His attributes are something the Jets will deeply miss and LT won't make that up, I hate to say. The Jets were pretty stupid to swap for LT since they are forced to pay him more and deal with possible knee injuries in the future.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    sorry, didn't get this part :icon_tease:

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I've been saying this since the beginning. TJ was loved by the fans because of his toughness. LT is everything but tough. Ten years running he always opted for the sidelines instead of laying some wood for extra yards. Fans here always said how smart he was because it would prolong his career. Hope everyone is happy were he is now and still no championship. Hey, but he's still running. Sure am glad he saved himself.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I think that has more to do with fans looking for excuses than LT looking to prolong his career. You have to remember that LT used to be a no-holds bar exciting running back. He didn't win MVP in 2006 running to the sidelines. He didn't lead the league in rushing yards the next year with that strategy. I actually think it's a case of seeing what you don't like more than paying attention to the things a player does well.