1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets vs Quality QB's

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Jan 12, 2010.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Looking at their schedule they played NE early in the year when Brady was still playing scared on teh knee and won that game. The next quality QB was Brees and they lost. Later played NE again and Brady & Co won that one. Lastly they played the Colts and Manning was 14/21 for 192 yards (barely a good pass defense when they needed it the most). All the other games they really didn't play a very good QB. Like many here had said, had Palmer been anywhere near his target, the Jets would have lost.
    Hopefully we will continue to see what they have been doing all year that no one seems to be able to stop. Run VJ deep along with Floyd and get the safeties to committ which opens the middle for Gates or anyone else for that matter.

2. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Very good points!! I am confident in our matchup vs the Jets. Come on Ravens!!!!

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Found this interesting. Thru the first 5 games we gave up 72 first half points and 64 second half points. Thru the next 11 games we gave up 77 first half and 107 second half points. Total for the year, 149 first half & 171 second half points.

I could have sworn that we came out stronger the second half of games and limited our opponents to less the second half. Based on that I would think about receiving the ball first in the second half.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I want the ball early on to score quickly and get the Jet's out of their game plan. Momentum is important in a game like this and we have become a quick starting team of late. I don't think they have faced as hot a hand as Rivers has right now all season.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I have a feeling they're gonna be so focused on our passing game and rushing Rivers that LT and/or Sproles will rip off some huge runs.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We gave up alot of points in garbage time.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Very true.

7 to the Fins.

14 to the Iggles.

7 to the Cowboys.

14 to the Browns.

7 to the Titans.

Just off the top of my head.

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Honestly, the Jets haven't beaten ANYONE. They are still a quality team and anyone has a chance on any given Sunday. But they haven't beaten ANYONE. All I want is for every player on the field to play to their full potential. If that happens, the Bolts win by double digits.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. The Jets being "hot" is a media fabrication. They played two teams that rolled over. Then, they played a perfect offensive game against the Bengals. The Bengals were atrocious. Carson Palmer was missing open receivers left and right. The Bengals missed two field goals. And even with those mistakes, the Jets only won by 10 points.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Teams with offenses inferior to ours have scored big against the Jets. If we just play our game, these guys will have their head handed to them.

11. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    This would be pretty awesome. LT did have his biggest game against one of the better run defenses we faced this season.

12. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I do not think that it going to happen, as Rex has the full scouting report on LT.

In other words, he saw the Electric Glide video on YouTube :icon_tease:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He knows all the secrets then, LT's screwed

14. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Speaking of Jets vs. quality QB's, just re-watched the Chargers/Jets game from last year and we just absolutely crushed them - Rivers was on fire on I don't recall hearing Revis' name at all. And that was with Brett Farve, I don't see how we lose with Sanchez now at QB.

15. Thunder Thighs

Thunder Thighs BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at the NFL highlight video on nfl.com. The video is grainy, but it sure looks like Revis got burned by Rivers and Chris Chambers for a 27 yard TD. He was lined up across from Chambers, tried to bump him, but ended up running into another Jet. Chambers got at least 5 yards separation for an easy TD catch.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I would go by that too much. Remember, Rex just started with them this year. That would be like trying to compare Rivera's defense with Cottrell's.

17. biggs

biggs BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    One of the reasons Mangini was let go was his Defensive philosophy. The Jets are tough up front with good man cover corners. Mangini loves to play zone with nickel packages all day.

The Jets D was up and down with Mangini but it was always a little soft. Ryan has done a nice job turning it into a tough, mean D. The lose of Jenkins has hurt up front but not killed us.

Mangini did some good things and did instill some descipline. I think he will be a good coach in time. In the NFL sometimes your D has to man up and hit not just try and confuse the QB with coverage. Ryan has done a good job building the D around the strength of our personal.

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Just keep in mind, many Jets fans are talking about beating Indy and number won't lie.....Manning was in for how long? And he was something like 14-21 for 190+ yards. So let it be said that with a quality QB and good WR's it does appear that the Jets can be had. Remember, this was a game that they were fighting for their playoff lives and he ate them up. Not saying the Bolts will do the same but the Jets defense proved in that game that when their season was in jeapordy they failed. Of course we will never know the true outcome of that game had Manning & Co stayed in but it did show a crink in the armor of the Jets #1 defense. :yes:

19. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    That's true, but we put up 49 in that game. Is Rex worth 30 points?

20. biggs

biggs BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Any Jets fan hanging their hat on beating the Colts is delusional.

In this league if the Refs don't allow any hand checking on the WR's and you don't have a great pass rush without having to consistently blitz a good QB is going to extract his pound of flesh. That said the Jets clearly had the best pass D in the league this year.

We faced some awful QB's although we did control Brees in NO when they were the hottest O in football and we did beat the crap out of Brady the first time when Jenkins was healthy.

I really believe the Jets best shot is not at stopping Rivers and the O, but at dominating the front 7 with our OL and taking the air out of the ball.

We keep the game close and at some point when your D is up Sanchez will have to make a few plays. If he does and he can we have a great shot. If he doesn't we could be blown out.

21. biggs

biggs BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    If you watch football long enough you realize that game situations dictate how teams play and the score. The Jets last year incorporated Favre after TC. The O was essentially thrown out for a spread O with Favre chucking it up. This years team is now dominated on O by the OL and the team is essentially taking the air out of the ball with TOP. That limits the scoring opportunities of the opposition unless you turn the ball over. That coupled with a much better Defensive scheme and yes it could be worth 30 points.

22. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Just giving you a hard time. It's just that as I browse the Jet's boards your fans seem pretty confident that your D will totally shut us down. Yet our offense was dominant last time we faced the Jets as well as our last few meetings with Rex and the Ravens.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're both much different teams than the last time that we faced. Of course anything can happen.

What seems unreasonable to me is the constant harping about how Revis will negate VJ in the game. Fine - let's concede that point.

What I don't understand is the lack of understanding that not only do we have multiple weapons besides VJ (unlike the Bengals), but that Rivers is one of the most successful QB's in the league vs. the blitz.

We'll just have to let the events on the field do the talking, won't we? :popcorn:

24. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    This is the part that I don't understand why all of these so call professionals don't bring up. They want to talk about the pressure & blitz packages that the Jets bring but fail to mention that Rivers has the best completion % vs the blitz.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And 14 TD's, also best in the league this year.

26. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Well it sounds like it's gonna be a interesting game to say the least.

Can't wait...

:icon_toast:

27. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I'm sick of hearing how a 5'11", 198 lb corner (Revis) is going to manhandle a 6'5", 240lb beast (Jackson) for the entire game. I bet there are at least (2) P.I.'s on Revis.

28. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I lived in Hollywood for 15 years and made a lot of friends from NY that were out there for film & TV. Sad to say but I think I have more friends that are JET fans than Charger fans! Most of the people I grew up with in SD I'm out of touch with but I know they are fans. I went down to the playoff game in 2004 against the Jets with about 12 JET fans. We all know how that ended up :tdown: They all want me to go again but I just cant afford it. The room are booked and all the same animals are going. You should hear all the smack talking they are doing about kicking our butts. They are all dilusional.
    The only one I will miss is my friend Johny. He's the voice of Bender the robot on Futurama. He's a big Jets fan. There is a video on utube of him Mocking the Charger song in benders voice at the comic con (prick) :icon_rofl: Anyway, I really dont think these jets have seen an offense like this before. Lets send em home hating the Chargers but loving San Diego:tup:

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I've seen that video, i hope he likes it when it gets a ton after we score a ton

I know a few jet fans and I had no idea that a new yorker's ego could actually get LARGER but wow.

the jet fans are going to be in for a very very rude surprise

30. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Whoa! You're friends with John DiMaggio!? Futurama is probably my favorite show ever. Lol you should get me his autograph :lol: