1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jets willing to give up 1st rounder for Turner?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 27, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=SD

I think it'd be worth it.

There's also a pay-site article on it. I haven't read this because I don't pay for it, but for anyone who has a subscription, here it is...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=...edURL=http://chargers.scout.com/2/612280.html

But, the guy who posted this link (at the UT) provided this quote.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The thought of that gives me a chubby.:yes:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    IT MOVED!!!!!:icon_eek:

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Hell yeah! But we'll need to trade up to get a WR like Bowe or Ginn still. Or even Johson.

How bout this! A 1st rounder + 3rd rounder + 2nd day pick for a pick that would get us Calvin Johnson? Teams drafting in the top 5 need to rebuild, they would definantly accept a deal like that. And we dont need 2nd day picks right now, they would never play for us.
    And plus we would still have 1 more 1st rounder this year.

AJ could end up turning this franchise into a dynasty if it all works out.:abq2: :icon_toast:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

to get a calvin johnson he'd need to: A not get picked by the turds and B. probably use our two firsts

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    And then some. I would LOVE to get Calvin as I was the first person at Bolt Talk to mention him in the Draft Forum :yes: :lol:, but the price we would have to pay would be WAY too much.

I would rather let AJ work his magic with two firsts, and five day one picks.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Let AJ work his magic with the 5 picks.

Gambling 3 picks on a wideout does nothing for me, I don't care how surefire everyone claims him to be.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    The chargers should try and get Dwayne Jarrett. He would be a good first day pick.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd rather they go after Steve Smith, but you've got the right idea.

I like Smith because he was solid the whole time he was @ USC. The only reason he is not being mentioned as an elite is because he had to play alongside 2 of the best recievers and 1 of the greatest backs in college fb history in Jarrett, Williams, and Bush respectively.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    frack jarret or any wr. Get us saftey reggie nelson who will pick jarrets or any wr's pocket their whole careers. :yes: :bolt:

just my opinion.

11. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I think it'll be a good idea cause then we have 2 1st round picks we could bolster our WR core or draft a replacment running back:abq1: :abq2:

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yep. A shutdown safety first. WRs in the 3rd round and no sooner or FA if we don't get an extra 1st.

Only way we go WR in 1st round is if we have two picks and then it has to be the 2nd one, not the first.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Forget WR, Safety, RG and LB in that order...

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I would like to see AJ get creative in this draft, and package multiple picks to move up.

We don't have a lot of roster spots available given our talent, and the number of players locked up. And I would prefer that we address most of our needs through free agency anyways; we could use more of a veteran presense on the team.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Is there anyone WORTHY of such a move?

Even Calvin Johnson is having his detractors come forward about his game translating to the NFL but that is always the case.

I do not see anyone worthy of moving up and packaging two picks at this point but then I do not watch as much college ball as some of you dudes.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd rather AJ stay the hell away from USC WR's.

BMW (Bust Mike Williams) is fresh in the mind, and all these years with good QB's (Palmer, Leinart, etc) and how many Trojan WR's have been great pro's lately?

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    How about zero?

I agree, stay away from 'SC receivers. Whatever happened to Keary Colbert? At least he had a promising rookie season in Carolina before he disappeared. No other Trojan WR has done anything for the last ten years.

18. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    There are plenty of guys that I'd like to get if we could move up to the 10-15 range. But this is looking like a pretty weak draft overall.

Poor Raiders, they picked the wrong time to suck ***. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'd sooner grab Ken Hamlin or Kevin Kaeshvarian or Deon Grant in FA instead

20. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    If the chargers get the jets 1st round pick, isnt it deep in the first round? I would try to trade a bit closer to the top 15. Im looking at Houston hard at 8th pick. I like the chargers to grab a nice safety and then a WR with their 30th pick.

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    It's a known fact, the Jets were looking to Michael Turner.
    But wouldn't it be better to trade him to an NFC-team to get
    the Nr.1 draft , so he won't play against the Chargers during
    the playoffs ?

22. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Jets suck, they wont make the playoffs.

23. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    For those of you who think it is easy to move up in the draft, without giving up too much, please look at this guide for draft pick value, which has been pretty accurate in year's past at predicting value of each pick.

[​IMG]

Say the Chargers were to acquire the Jets pick, which is currently projected to be #25 (720 points), trading into the top 15 (1050 points for the 15th, to 1300 points for the 10th) would require at least another 2nd round pick for the 15th slot. Trading both the 25 and the Chargers 30th could possibly get the Chargers slotted in and around the 10th spot. Now, imagine trying to get into the top 5 to land Calvin Johnson. It would probably cost an arm and a leg.:tdown:

This is all assuming that we can even land a 1st round pick for Turner. Even if we did, I trust AJ's draft genius to get us the best player for the team.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know, I didnt think we would get so much for Sheli.

25. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    But were talking about the trade/draft master extrodanaire that is AJ Smith. If he wants Calvin Johnson, he gets Calvin Johnson.

But, we shouldnt put all our eggs in that basket. You should also recognize anywhere in the top 15 will get us a shot at guys like Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn jr, Sidney Rice, Robert Mecheam, and Dwayne Bowe.Plus Reggie Nelson and Laron Landry to top caliber safteys.

Deep draft for the positions we need. I love it.

26. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    No, i totally agree that if it is feasible for AJ to do such a deal, then fine... But I'm not a big fan of trading up if it means losing two first rounders for a top 10 pick. I'd rather stand pat and take my chances with our staff's scouting ability. However, should a trade go through for a player of need, then I'm all for it.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Our drafts sure have been fun to watch over the past couple years and A.J. continues to provide!!!:abq2: :abq2: