1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Edmonds gone

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, May 9, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Jim Edmonds gone?

According to Tim Sullivan on AM 1360, he is.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sorry, this team is a joke and I have not been able to make myself give a rats *** about the Padres for like a decade now. Same thing every single god damn year. Hey lets bring in a 40 year old Ryan Klesko, how about a 45 year old Mike Piazza... still no? Okay, a 50 year old Jim Edmonds... still not good enough? Maybe Ernie Banks is available.

This organization is a ****ing joke that has completely FAILED to demonstrate even the slightest interest in acquiring top tier talent.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

OUCH!!

and I thought I was bitter!!

:lol:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Jody Gerut come on down, your the next contestant

thank god, the move to acquire edmonds was a bet that didn't pan out. Thankfully it didn't cost us much

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    confirmed

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8122046/Padres-to-release-veteran-OF-Edmonds

Jim Edmonds' tenure with the Padres lasted 26 games.

The Padres plan to release the center fielder, whom they acquired last Dec. 15 from the Cardinals. An announcement is expected Friday.

Edmonds, who turns 38 on June 27, will become a free agent after he clears release waivers, which is likely to be sometime next week.

His agent, Paul Cohen, said that Edmonds, a 16-year veteran, wants to continue playing.

"Obviously it has been a real bad three weeks for him," Cohen told FOXSports.com. "He wishes he would have played better for the fans and the teams. But in the right situation, he's going to play."

It is highly unlikely that another team would claim Edmonds and become responsible for the remainder of his $8 million salary, of which the Cardinals are paying $2 million.

Edmonds opened the season on the disabled list with a right calf strain and never produced for a team that has lost 17 of its last 21 games.

He hit one home run in 90 at-bats, and his batting average/on-base/slugging line was .178/.265/.233.

6. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Nah nah nah naah. nah nah naaah naah..hey hey hey...Goodbye!! Oh well, Still doesnt do much for the pads this year. padres suck until they can put better product on the field.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sweet, now our new center fielder can be... Uh... Hmm...

Good thing we didn't resign Cameron or make a trade for a young prospect.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Don't worry. They will go out and find some more LEFTY power to play in Petco. :rolleyes:

They barroided right to center and now any normal lefty has to get all of it to put a ball out.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :icon_party::icon_guitar:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    It's easy to make an organization look bad when you cherry pick their bad signings/acquisitions and ignore their good ones. (Adrian Gonzalez comes to mind.)

Especially when you do so during one of their losing years. (something that hasn't happened in half a decade, I might add.)

Ryan Klesko didn't exactly suck at the time of his acquisition either, I might add. You just don't remember it because he was hitting home runs right and left when the rest of the team, outside Phil Nevin and Trevor Hoffman, sucked and wasn't winning anything.

He was befuddled by injuries and started to go downhill quick at the wrong time. (right before the move to PetCo)

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sorry Leo... bottom line for me, in the past few years even when we did crack the playoffs were you actually excited about the team? Did anyone who's been watching think we had a snowball's chance in hell of winning a post season series? I don't dig mediocrity.

Jake Peavy and Adrian Gonzales do not justify the long list of guys we have released rather than payed as they experienced career highs. But it never pissed me off until the organization begged for a new stadium and promised an elevated commitment...

Where is it? :icon_shrug:

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    2005, no
    2006 and last year? Yeah

But **** happens. :icon_shrug:

In 2006 they had the 2nd best record in the NL and lost to a team that got hot at the right time.

Last year they had the 3rd best record in the NL....unfortunately the two teams with better records played in the same division.

The Rockies had to win 13 straight games to surpass the Padres. How often does that happen?

Where's this long list?

Jason Bay and Oliver Perez?

The last time there was a long list of guys the Padres let go who went on to be perennial all stars Tom Werner was in charge.

Oh, wait, do you mean Xavier Nady, Josh Barfield, Sean Burroughs, and guys like that?

Adam Eaton and Aki Otsuka? Who did they get for those two scrubs again?

I'm not going to sugar coat it, the team sucks this year, but you can't just blow off them being in the playoffs or playoff contention every year since PetCo opened just because they didn't "excite" you.

If they sucked as bad as you make them out to be they would be as horrible as they are this year every year and there wouldn't be any playoffs for you to say that they don't have a snowball's chance in hell in.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Mike Cameron is a human being not a slave.

They can't exactly order him to sign a contract....

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    How about Phil Plantier, Greg Vaughn, and Fred McGriff?

How about Derrek Lee, John Vander Wal and Mark Kotsay?

And weren't we supposed to get Miguel Tejada the year after the stadium was built?

Even if the whole world thinks I'm 100% wrong about letting guys walk... answer me this, did the organization not promise an elevated commitment and WTF is it?

We let talent walk and skip on the best player available for guys like Sean Burroughs and Matt Bush.

I'm sorry but I can not find anything in this organization to enjoy, respect or appreciate. When I was a kid baseball was the greatest thing in the world. But given the embarrassing operation of "my team" over the last 20 years I honestly don't even like the game anymore.