1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Johnson dead at age 68

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    RIP Coach Johnson.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    IMO, one of the finest defensive coordinators in NFL history and a LOCK for the HOF (albiet posthumously).

Condolences to his family and friends, the Eagles organization, and to all their fans. Sad day indeed.

Here's to you Coach! :icon_toast:

[​IMG]

6. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I remember before we hired Marty, I was hoping we'd give him an interview.

But, he came out and publicly stated that he was staying as the DC in Philly.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Wow thats horrible

The guy was easily one of the top 2 DCs in the NFL over the past 10 years (Dick LeBeau), and produced great assistants.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hate hearing about people losing their battle with cancer.

But he went with honor! RIP.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What a loss, I hate it that cancer can still beat a human. This sucks and I wish nothing but peace and Gods care for his family. Mr. Johnson, you are with the angels tonight, say hi to mom and dad for me.:yes:

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera on Jim Johnson:
    "Jim was most certainly a very good man, a very decent man. He was definitely a mentor, not just for me but for several guys in the league right now that are coordinators and head coaches. He was just a real caring person. He gave me my start and my opportunity. He took the time to teach me. I'm extremely grateful for everything he did for me.

"Going into my fourth year in the league, he showed me how to script (plays). He showed me how to put together a game plan. Then he'd have me write his game plan up for him and he'd ask me, 'Why would you do this?' He'd tell me why. 'That's not good enough,' or 'That's a good idea.' He was most certainly a teacher.

"You talk about people giving you a start and helping you along the way. I got my first job coaching with Dave Wannstedt, but I got my first opportunity to be a position coach with Jim. He took the time to teach me and show me. I wouldn't be where I am today without him mentoring, showing me and giving me the opportunity.

"Leslie [Frazier], Steve [Spagnolo] and I ... we laugh about our time with Jim all the time. We were the three young guys on the staff and Jim was hard on us. I remember just after I was hired in Philadelphia, I had just finished signing my contract and he walked into my office and closed the door. He said, 'Listen. I'm an old linebacker coach. Don't take anything personal when I come in and take over your meetings, when I take over your drills. I can't help myself. Don't take it personal when I'm hard on you because I'm just trying to teach you.' That's exactly what he did. You take a step back and look at the success we've all had. The direct correlation was Jim Johnson."

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Very sad to hear this. RIP coach Johnson. You will be missed.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He led a full life. His defenses were always fun to watch and a ***** to play against. RIP