1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Trotter of SI, says VJack's future not with SD?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, May 21, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#4615

Jackson not long for San Diego?

Going directly against the grain of many of the other opinions we've heard, Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated tweeted on Friday that not only will Vincent Jackson not be back with the San Diego Chargers in 2011, but that this season was no certainty either. Let's review the voices from the other side of the fence:During an ESPN.com chat session on May 6, Football Scientist KC Joyner opined that out of all of the Chargers' big-name players in need of new contracts, "Jackson would be No. 1 on that list."

Following the news hitting the wire back in April regarding Brandon Marshall's new $47.5 million deal, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted that Miles Austin and Jackson were likely quite pleased at the outcome. They're both in line for new deals, and Marshall's deal set a lucrative new benchmark for game-breaking wideouts.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune thinks the time is right for the Chargers to ink Jackson to a new deal. Acee notes that by getting a deal done now, they will have significantly less competition than if Jackson hits the open market next offseason. Thus, they'll have to pony up a slightly smaller ransom to hang on to their No. 1 wideout. ESPN's AFC West blogger Bill Williamson thinks Jackson's payday is somewhat of an inevitability, so the Bolts might as well bite the bullet now if they can get him a little below market value.

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the chargers aren't bringing in a bunch of new wr's for nothing. Jackson just might be out of here eventually. I didn't think he was that much trouble. He kind of ranks up there with shaun phillips on dumb stuff. Maybe theres more going on with him.

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Phillips separated himself from the rest by showing absolutely no remorse for his stupidity.

I'm going to be livid if we let Vjack walk for nothing next season. The guy is a consistant 70 catch 1000+yd reciever and a huge matchup problem, we can't afford to lose him now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think Trotter is just taking a contrarian view in order to sell print.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Always a possibility in May.

But I think Vjack will end up holding out, and I hope AJ doesn't alienate him into demanding a trade.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    VJ did the same exact thing when he whined about the cop who pulled him over, rather than just taking ownership for being an idiot and riving without a license or registration

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    As long as he continues to make our passing game so much of a threat that we can annihilate teams with it even with a ****** run game he can whine about cops and refuse to take ownership for his off field actions all he likes.

Just as long as he doesn't get himself suspended or jailed I don't give a **** whether or not he's a jerk off the field because it doesn't affect me.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, since driving on a suspended license, is what will end up getting him suspended, I guess you should care

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Right.

I care that he was dumb enough to get himself suspended.

I don't care that he's whining about it because that's not going to get him suspended for more games.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do. I spend a lot of money on this team every year, and I want the players salaries who I am paying to stay the hell out of police cars. I don't expect angels, but I don't want immature morons who don't even own up to their mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, it isn't that hard to say "Sorry, I screwed up" when you get caught. He has never once apologized, and even tried to blame others for his stupidity.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I don't think the chargers would let VJ go unless they got very good compensation. I don't understand the letting him go possibly this year though. He'd have to have done something really stupid to trade him this year. Or maybe he says he will hold out. Or trotter doesn't know what he's talking about.

On the bright side. I'm sure some teams would give up alot for him.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I would trade him for a hefty haul of draft picks.....but I don't think that's going to happen....and I definitely wouldn't want to see him walk for nothing.....so they should continue to leverage his off-the-field stuff to get a discounted, incentive laden long-term deal. He shows better judgment and maturity and kicks some *** on the field, and he'll get rewarded.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I want the players who I indirectly pay money to help the Chargers win to help the Chargers win.

Vincent Jackson does that.

I'm not saying refusing to own up to his off field issue is honorable. In fact, it's down right childish. I'm just saying I don't care about it because, as long as he doesn't do it again and get himself suspended more (or worse), it doesn't affect his ability to catch Philip Rivers' passes.

To be quite blunt, if getting himself arrested didn't risk taking him off the field on Sundays I wouldn't care what he does off the field at all. Aside from risking suspension/jail time it doesn't negate his ability to catch passes. It's only because getting into trouble can lead to suspension or worse that I even have some amount of care about it.

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    consider the source. Trotter for whatever reason, doesn't like AJ.

Remember when HE was the bolts guy, before Acee? He's one of the media people, much like Chris Mortenson, who do not like AJ Smith.

Shefter has been much better since shifting to espn, from nfl network. Maybe it's just the time removed from Denver. But I on NFLN, I hated that guy and his love of Shanahan and all things Broncos... he was much better last year. I'm interested to see how he treats the Skins this year.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thats because unlike Acee, he wasn't willing to suck up to AJ.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    You can spin it however you like.

Someone can word the same thing you just said as "he's never willing to give AJ any credit" and have essentially the same claim take on an entirely different connotation.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    TJ Simers, Pete Pricsco, and Michael Silver are the same way.

Haters be hatin'

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Except that he has given AJ credit.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I will admit, I never followed him when he was the Chargers beat writer, but I have read a lot of his stuff since going to SI and heard a ton of interviews with him on XTRA and XX, and I have never once heard him say a negative thing about AJ

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I've been a Bolt fan since the Speedy Duncan day's and I don't ever recall being media darlings.:icon_shrug::icon_huh::unsure:

21. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Trotter was a GREAT Chargers beat writer. He truly had some great inside info and was far more on the money than Acee who simply sucks up to AJ and throws darts.....Trot had a lot of respect in the lockerroom and had good measure of the pulse of the team. I don't think players like Acee very much and he's probably seen by more than a few as AJ's propoganda minister.

One thing I do like about Trotter with SI is that he still focuses on the Chargers more than other teams due to the vast network of connections he still has in SD.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah I don't follow Trotter that closely, but the other 3 guys are flat out douchebags. Simers is "Hacksaw" Hamilton in print.

23. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    2 people I don't take much stock in their opinion when it comes to the Chargers .. Trotter and Canepa.

The are more often than not, just plain wrong.