1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Horn Kills Thieves... Hero or Homicidal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nickelbolt, Nov 28, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No... not that Joe Horn... actual 911 call (turn up the sound on this one)
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7jqLie6-Y0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7jqLie6-Y0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

THUMPER... is this you?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gP3OsajRB6BM1On6y5d66X8hodrwD8T5MN400

OK, move it to the lounge now... :icon_sad:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wouldn't call it Hero but I wouldn't call it Homicidal either.

If they were breaking into his house and he shot them... Hero.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If someone's breaking into my house, wants to hurt my family, i'll kill them without a second thought.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The only problem I see with this is the ACLU getting their panties wet especially because these guys were not white.

Other than that fuc 'em they got what they deserved. :bolt:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

EXACTLY!!!

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :lol:

[​IMG]

I certainly have no sympathy for the thieves. As far as I'm concerned... that's one less waste of life in our country!!!! :yes:

But of course the other question is how will the police and judge rule this.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The DA is gonna come after this guy hard. He has to because public pressure will be immense. If there is a trial I would think he's gonna want to take his chances with a jury. It'll be a close call for this guy, but I'd bet the farm that he gets off with a slap on the wrist.

Can someone get the odds into vBookie? :lol:

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    The dude seemed a little determined to kill those two dudes from the begining. Then again if the thieves weren't breaking the law to begin with they'd still be alive.

It's a tough call really. I would of just called the police and made sure to give the 911 Operator a very good description of the two thieves. I would of probably followed them 'till the cops picked them up and only would of shot if they posed an immediate threat.

Oh well, that's two less criminals in the world.

9. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    These guys were breaking into the neighbor's house, not Joe Horn's home. He should have followed what the 911 dispatcher had told him to do, stay in the safety of his house... The police were on their way, and they are the trained professionals. I doubt the average citizen could handle intervening in a robbery, in which they are not in any danger. This is different than if they were breaking into his house, and attempted to attack him.

He worked himself up, listen to the audio, "I'm going to kill them" That is pretty damning, there was no initial imminent danger, until he chose to leave the safety of his home to confront them.

If he shot them with their hands up, then he should have to face charges, if shot them for running away, he should have to face charges, if they jumped at him, even though he ignored law enforcement instructions, then this may be defensible. We do not have all the facts.

I'm not gonna shed a tear over these two criminals, but since when is theft punishable by death. Not to mention, making us judge, jury, and executioner.

As a gun owner, I feel embarrassed by Joe Horn, if we believe in the 2nd ammendment, then we gun owners, or supporters of the 2nd ammendment, should support responsible gun ownership, and responsible actions; otherwise we may face to lose such civil liberties.

FOUTS

10. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Raider fans? :icon_shrug:

11. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    No it does not and this guy should not be out killing people breaking into his neighbor's house period. His responsibility was to call the police. This man should not have a gun, ever. This is not heroism. This is vigilantism and a person with this philosophy could one day make a very grave error and shoot some "burglar" breaking into a house who turns out to be the teenage kid who lives there, and was locked out. This guy should have listened to the 911 dispatcher and stayed in his house.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    But what if they end up finding a decent amount of blood in Mr. Horn's yard? He'll have sufficient grounds to say he was merely defending his property as well as his own life... because they approached him and he felt truly threatened.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is very likely what wouldda happened to the Coronado police officer that shot Steve Foley if that wouldda happened in some neighborhoods (mine prolly) in Texas...that cop woullda got aired out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

He was not in any danger inside his house...and he apparently said he was going to go outside and kill them...he was told repeatedly by 911 to stay inside...he then proceeded to go outside and kill them. Cops were on the way and they would have arrested the burglars and they would have faced their prison time. This Horn guys is a loose cannon and a threat to his neighborhood...you can't just do this stuff. The next person he shoots might be someone innocent that he "perceives" as threatening. You can't just go around killing people.

Totally different scenario. And Texas or not, you have to follow the laws of the land. Or face the legal consequences. No one was breaking into this guys house, cops were on the way, he was told by a law enforcement representative not to go outside and he stated he was going to kill them before he went outside and did it. No one was in any immediate danger prior to that point. Let the cops do their jobs. It wasn't up to him.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I think LaDeezie21 couldn't have said it better in this statement... "The dude seemed a little determined to kill those two dudes from the beginning. Then again if the thieves weren't breaking the law to begin with they'd still be alive."

You say these guys were no threat to the shooter but like he said "I don't know if they're armed." Besides, his house could have been next. You can't just assume!!!

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Right or wrong one thing is for sure: Criminals won't be robbing anyone in that neighborhood for a long, long time.

The way I see this... if he really, really wanted to just kill these guys he would not have bothered with the 911 call until after he shot 'em. Just go hide and wait for 'em somewhere outside the house and blast 'em when they come out. Was it right that he went about it the way he did? NO. He should have stayed in the house, because if these guys had been armed with a gun he would be dead right now. But if he went out there and confronted them and they really did approach him and enter his property, then these dumb fu(ks deserve what they got. If someone confronts you with a shotgun and you approach them... are you accepting death as a possible outcome? :icon_shrug:

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :D It really kinda' frightened me when I took the online candidate matching test and my closest match was Rudy Giuliani. Took me a while to accept that one, but I guess I gotta. I mean, how could an online test possibly be wrong? :icon_shrug:

I wonder if Rudy would burn one with me. :nana_rasta:

'cause I'm pretty sure you still would. Right? :flwers:

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What about lil ole me?:icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Nobody loves you. :no:

[​IMG]

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    When it's all said and done, I wouldn't mind if Joe Horn was my neighbor. And you'd better believe I'd have a way set up for him to not mistake me for a burglar.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Too much potential to damage what the burglars were trying to steal. :yes:

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I actually meant to type "Shammy"... but I'm glad it wasn't you either. :lol:

24. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's not the reason I wouldn't use the shotgun in this situation. If it were inside the house, the shotty would be ideal. Outside I'd want to use something a little more precise and with a little more range.