1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Montana Joining Oaks Christian Staff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Buck Blincoe, May 14, 2009.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Joe Montana joining Oaks Christian staff
    By Bob Buttitta (Contact)

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oaks Christian School football coach Bill Redell prides himself on trying to get the best coaches available in order to ensure the continued success of the Lions program.

With that in mind, Redell opted to break one of his long-standing rules of not having a father coach his son when he asked Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana to provide his expertise and knowledge for the 2009 season.

Montana’s son Nick, who will be a senior this fall, is the Lions’ starting quarterback.

After watching his son from the stands last season, the former San Francisco 49ers great will be in the coaching booth this fall at the request of Redell.

“I guess you can say he’s a consultant to me,” Redell said. “He will be in our booth on Friday nights talking with our offensive coordinator.

“He is not here on a daily basis, but when he is here, he will come to practice and be out on the field. If one of our coaches asks him his opinion, he will give it. He is part of the staff, but he is really not coaching.”

Nick Montana transferred to Oaks Christian from Concord De La Salle last July. He won the starting job and threw for 2,404 yards and 33 touchdowns last season.

“He (Joe Montana) is a great guy,” Redell said. “He does not interfere. He wants to stay in the background.

“He’s had his day in the sun and wants his son to have his day.”

In addition to Montana coming on board, there are a few other changes on the Lions staff. Clay Matthews, who has been the defensive coordinator, is stepping down to have more time to travel to see his sons, Clay Jr. and Casey, play in Green Bay and the University of Oregon, respectively.

Mark Bates, who has been the offensive coordinator, is now defensive coordinator, and Casey Clausen will be the new offensive coordinator.

“Clay will be here 80 percent of the time, but he wants the freedom to be able to get up and see his sons play,” Redell said.
    Source

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    My Auntie is a teacher at Oaks Christian. I've seen Joe at the games as well as Will Smith. This makes me wonder if Joe will still coach after his son graduates.