1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Montana was a dolphin?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This season the Dolphins have one of their "home" games in the London. Here is an article talking to some Londoners about their knowledge of the Dolphins.

Brits aren't quite Dolphins experts yet

LONDON — Londoner Tim Pickergill said he cannot name many Miami Dolphins.

"Just Joe Montana, really," he said.

Actually, Joe played for — well, never mind.

That's not important now, as we take a break from Wimbledon and stand in line for fish and chips in the shadow of London's Wembley Stadium.

What matters is knowing that Dolphins fans are not so much losing a home game Oct. 28 against the New York Giants as gaining brother and sister Dolfans across the pond.

The historic regular-season contest to be played at Wembley no doubt will tap into pent-up demand created by the closure of developmental league NFL Europa, announced recently amid reported annual losses of $30 million.

The only trouble seems to be finding the same fans whom Miami coach Cam Cameron met on a fact-finding trip here.

"Everywhere we have gone the people have been very welcoming, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the depth of knowledge of the people over here," Cameron said. "They really know about our sport and our team."

Let's ask around. Your favorite Dolphin, sir?

"The Rock," said North London's James Day.

Technically, it was the Miami Hurricanes for whom the wrestler and actor once played, but let's call that partial credit. It's more than Day's goofy Yank questioner knows about British sports, which is limited to tennis and the phrase "Bend it like Beckham."

Day's pal Ryan Kuhn offered the most common response on the British street: a friendly shrug and four words.

"Football's my sport, really," Kuhn said.

Perhaps an NFL advance team mistook those words for an expression of rooting interest. What our new friend meant is that soccer is his sport. Over here, what the Dolphins play is American football.

Maybe this explains something about NFL Europe, known poignantly toward the end of its life as NFL Europa. Soccer remains the undisputed king of sports in Europe, where fans tend to have fiercely loyal tastes. In Britain, there are some 92 professional soccer teams.

"Unless you find a way to break that monopoly, you're pretty much buggered," Pickergill said.

Still, he catches a few highlights of American football on satellite TV.

"That Bears quarterback — What's his name? — he played so well until the final," Pickergill said. That would be former Gator Rex Grossman at the Super Bowl at Dolphin Stadium.

Mudassar Zaman, who works at Nico's At Wembley Fish & Chips, said he might watch more often "if it was not on at 4 a.m."

But the signs are certainly there for a tremendous upwelling of support. After all, someone is buying the tickets, with the first batch of 40,000 snapped up quickly.

The cultural cross-currents go back a long way. Rugby gave birth to modern football. Ceramic artwork on the walkway leading from the Wembley Park underground station contains what are believed to be representations of American football among other sports. In one panel, a Stanford-era John Elway appears to be wearing a Formula One racing helmet, or he may in fact be throwing the first pass on the moon.

And there is at least one representation of Dan Marino within hailing distance of Wembley. It can be found in an advertisement for American Bowl '88, an exhibition of yesteryear, framed on a back wall at the First Class Sports Bar.

"The Miami Dolphins are one of the teams I'd know about," said bar owner Alan Coulston. "They're one of the most successful teams."

Another man leaned in from the direction of the bar to say, "I wish it was the Patriots."

Coulston continued, "Always room for one more sport. Absolutely. It's wonderful they're bringing the Super Bowls here."

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    In London, the drivers of certain cabs (the ones you want to take as a visitor) must pass a test called "The Knowledge". They know every street, every landmark, every possible route to a destination. It takes like 2-3yrs to complete.

I believe it should now be mandatory for them to pass the NFL's version of "The Knowledge" test before they are allowed to wear official team gear and go to the games. :lol: Until then, they'll have to wear soccer or NFL Europa garb.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why is the NFL doing this?

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    pretty stupid, joe montana might as well of played for the dolphins, and hell that might be my response some drunken nights. he didn't play for the chargers, he didn't win me a ring who gives a ****. how many americans without google know what team eric cantona played for? or george best? roy keane? anybody?

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If I'm not mistaken, George Best played for the LA Aztecs for a few fortnights.

:lol:

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    To job the Dolphin fans out of a home game? :icon_shrug:

7. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

8. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Joe Montana sucks, I bet he can't even throw the ball more than 40 yards anymore.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hell, they just lost $30+ mill a year in Europe, why do they think this is going to be any better?

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Wow I'm impressed, Roy Keane getting a mention on Bolttalk!!, without a prompt from me. :icon_toast:

Oh and I gotta tell u about something that happened today. I wear my Bolt colors with pride loads round Dublin. I have 4 tees (with 2 on the way) and 2 jerseys!.

I was in a cafe in a large dept store here today, I had my 'lights out tee' on (there is no 'chargers' ref on it). I ordered a coffee with a slice of cake. The guy serving me is Irish (rare in the service industry here now due to the influx of the poles etc). He hands me my coffee and cake and says 'Oh by the way'. I look at him wondering 'what, is the coffee free today or something?', and he says 'the Chargers are gonna win it all this year" with a big smile. I was stunned, nobody, not one person has ever acknowledged me wearing my colors. I said 'Wow, right on man!'. My day was made!.

11. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    that's cool db, i have an alex cole jersey, eric cantona and a few other man u's without name. most of them are from the mid nineties with sony on the front. my roomate in seattle (lived there 97-99) was straight from belfast, he had me saying oooohhh aaaahhhh cantona i hate fuqing liverpool within a month. and of course you can't bring up english football without saying george best, how's that song go about him?

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Didn't George play for the Liverpool Beatles expansion franchise?

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    OOOPS. That was Pete. George played soccer.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hey apologies to those who don't want to read about the other football!....

U mean Andy Cole right?... pity ur roommate was a Manc fan :tdown: . Uv got a Liverpool supporter here!!. :yes:

I guess he told u George was from Belfast?. Did u hear they re-named the airport there?. It is now George Best Intl Airport.

I hope ur following all the purchases Alex is making this summer. He has spent almost 200m dollars on players. :icon_toast:

I'm not sure what george best song u are referring to but I can tell u the words of 'You'll never walk alone' though. :tup:

Having said all that Roy Keane is a Legend in these parts. So much so, some people were #16 jerseys with the letters 'GOD' on the back!.

15. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    yes i meant andy cole, just typed faster than my noodle could think

16. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    [​IMG]
    Edited: RICKY NOT YOU - Put down that baseball bat!

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Those 4 SB rings and 3 SB MVP awards are heavy and keep tweaking his throwing arm. :lol: :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I couldn't name a single sports star from Europe. Outside of the NFL and a little NASCAR, I don't get into many other sports. :bolt2:

19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    You got that right. I forgot with all that hardware he probably can't even lift his arm for a hand off now. Hahaha, what a loser! Philip Rivers can out gun him any day.

:icon_wink: :tup: