1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Theisman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Jrocthadino, May 30, 2006.

1. Jrocthadino

Jrocthadino BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13048347/

The only discrase here is Joe Redneck himself. I dont care if he was an argo, or if you won a superbowl too, I would still put you in the same breath as Trent Dilfer that Ricky Willams.

Has he ever heard of freedom of privacy and freedoms to make a living. We'll both these things are entrenched in our "Canadian Charter" (I don't know about USA). So maybe Theisman should take a day, and learn all the hardships Ricky has gone though and the reality of drugs in society. Until then, I think he better drop off a resume at FOX, becasue its the only Network that's as redneck as him.

I'm a TiCat fan anyways... you dont see me complaining. We gotta play him like 5 times this year!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hey everyone can express their opinions. He is not the only NFL figure to express, lets say distaste at the bad press Ricky Williams has brought to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jrocthadino

Jrocthadino BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Maybe thats because Ricky never really did anything to discrace the NFL. Ray Carruth and Mark Chemura discraced the NFL, and lots of players spoke up.

The NFL is a business that can cut you for any reason. Why is there such a double standard for Ricky and the NFLPA. People who work in the NFL do not need to make football their lives (eventhough its all Theisman has).

I just wonder why Theisman is the only person to say anything (he said more than anyting). Probably becasue nobody agrees with him. Or maybe its becasue he a huge dick that misses his 15 minutes of fame.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Your welcome to your take. In my opinion you are wrong. Dead wrong. I do not understand how you can claim that there is a double standard for Ricky, unless your saying the NFL put the weed in his system three or more times.

Ricky made his bed, he now has to deal with the results and the criticisms. Thats my opinion on the subject at least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ricky is a pot smoker who cares about bud, the money to buy bud and nothing about his teammates and his organization
    Beyond that he's swell
    I wonder why NFL alumni wouldn't like him:icon_huh:

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Ricky's made mistakes, no doubt, but to say he's a discrace to the NFL? We are all individuals and all make individual choices. Ricky was wrong when he just quit the first time, but he felt that he needed to explore more of his life than just being a RB in the NFL. I can understand that. The reason he was wrong, is he did it with no warning while his team was counting on him.

Yes, Ricky smokes pot. Yes, pot is a banned substance according to the NFL drug policies, but let me ask this question. Is smoking a little pot worse than Barry Bonds (aledged) use of steriods and other performance enhancing substances? Pot is not going to make you play better, run faster, get stronger. Yet Bonds still plays and a big deal is made when he tied Babe Ruth's record. How many other celebrated athletes has it been later discovered used illegal performance enhancers?

Ricky has made a choice. He doesn't feel there is anything wrong with being a pothead. By all accounts, when he did come back last year, he was dedicated and worked hard. If a player enjoys a few drinks on his off time, it's socially acceptable, even encouraged. Smoke a little pot though and you're a discrace? Sorry that doesn't jive with me. More power to ya Ricky. Live your life the way you feel is best for you!

And to you Mr. Theisman, stop trying to grab a little bit of the spotlight by bashing an easy target. You're 15 minutes of fame ended when when your leg was snapped like a twig. The reason you can so easily condem Ricky is, you have nothing in your life besides football. Ricky doesn't want to follow your template and end up an ex-jock constantly reliving his glory days in his mind. He's chosen another path. Respect him for that and stopping being such an *** hole!

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ricky made his bed. I doubt he even cares about Theismans words. Theiser should take a chill pill though.

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Exactly, and much more to the point than my long drawn out post. What does Theisman gain by making these statements, except his name in the headlines for a few days. Besides, Ricky is an easy target. Sad Joe, very sad.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont take it that way. Joe is the man on Monday night football now. Joe is a respected football analyst. He doesnt need 15 seconds of fame. He has always been passionate and out spoken, as most QBs are. I think this time his temper ran away with his mouth.

I imagine that he honestly feels the Ricky has blemished the sport he loves and has made his living off of. I am not condoning or agreeing with what he said, that is just my take on the situation.

10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I don't give a crap about Ricky's right to earn a living. If that basket case had to try to function in the real world he would be scrumped. Try doing what he has done and get a good job. Not going to happen.

I agree with Theismann's take. It makes the CFL look cheesy to accept a guy that has been suspended for substance abuse. The unintended message that they are sending is that they have lower standards than the NFL. If they are fine with that so be it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    A real pity to make millions for dollars and lead the easy life, so what does he do - blows it on drugs. I do not feel sorry for him the least bit. He could only function in the real world at remedial jobs. It's people like RW that give sports and various leagues a bad image where drug testing should be done on all athletes instead of randomly.

Fours carries for seven yards. I do not think the CFL is a joke, just Ricky.
    http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=sked&func=review&sked_id=179

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    (I know monday was a couple days ago but....) This is the worst monday night broadcasting crew I've ever heard. From Kornheiser's ridiculous and drawn out "deal with the devil" analogy to Theisman's confession that he doesn't know what a forward pass is I think I'll be watching MNF on mute for the rest of the season!

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    For the second week in a row Tony Kornheiser managed to mention Dancing With The Stars on MNF... somebody shoot me please...

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The espn crew was by far the worst in all broadcasting, and now that they've added that idiot Kornholer, they're even worse. Does anyone really want to listen to Theisman and Kornholer talk about their fantasy teams or whatever stupid crap they bring to the show each week? They're horrible. Fire them asap.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Theisman is a tool. He just vaulted to from #2 to #1 shet in my book for his personal attacks by passing Irvin.

Don't you think there is a reason Al Michaels jumped ship shortly after they annouced that he would be replacing Madden in the booth.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I like Theisman...

*ducks for cover*