1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Johnny Manziel to San Diego...Not joking.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jun 7, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11048210/johnny-manziel-drafted-san-diego-padres-28th-round

[​IMG]
    NEW YORK -- Just call him Johnny Baseball.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was selected by the San Diego Padres in the 28th round of the Major League Baseball draft Saturday -- the 837th player taken. Manziel was listed as a shortstop for Texas A&M, although he never played for the Aggies as he focused on football.

Manziel, the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy in 2012, was taken by the Browns with the 22nd overall pick in the NFL draft last month.

The quarterback took to Twitter Saturday afternoon to express his excitement:

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Oh it's disgusting, even though he'll never play I hate that we're linked to this little **** for all eternity.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    The Padres GM is awful. Manziel didn't even play baseball in college is what they said on TV. The Padres GM said" he was the best available athlete".
    They need to fire that idiot. His players can't hit, the team is terrible again and he is drafting guys that didn't play baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    I guess it was just a formality and a part of the baseball draft. The Pads just had to pick somebody... Then again, once Manziel gets knocked out of football in a couple of years, he can always back his way into Petco Park as an unknown shortstop. And the Gaslamp Quarter is just steps away from the clubhouse, he can meet up with friends at Merriman's old place.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It's round 28 in the baseball draft.

GMs across the league pull this kind of **** that late in the draft all of the time.

Not that I'm a big fan of Byrnes or anything, but this barely blips the radar in reasons why I don't like him.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Padres; trying to win the retweet battle because they won't win it on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    They do, .....later in the draft. Kaepernick was a 42nd round choice for example, not 28th. There are some potential gems in the 20's. Ryne Sanberg was a 20th round selection.
    Keith Hernandez a 42nd.
    Jason Bay, 22nd round
    Roy Oswald, 23rd round
    Jeff Kent, 20th round.
    Mike Piazza , a 62nd rounder,,lol.

The list goes on and on.

If it were the 40th round I wouldn't care since we know he isn't going to play baseball.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    And there's plenty of busts in rounds 1 and 2.

I'm just saying it happens all the time and the Padres aren't making some kind of glaring display of atrocity by being one of them.

Round 28 is still round 28. For every Mike Piazza drafted in round 62 (who was only drafted as a favor, by the way...talk about dumb luck. He's the equivalent of a Johnny Manziel draft pick actually working out somehow) there's litereally hundreds, possibly thousands of scrubs who'll be lucky to see AA.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
  11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Bottom line is the Padres are a joke. Can't get an owner that gives a damn! Till then, no support from me. Even the most recent playoff teams were a result from a terrible division. They were a.500 ballclub.

Wired via Nexus 5

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Yet you'll continue to support the Chargers? Both teams' histories are eerily similar.

I mean, yeah the Chargers are looking to be headed in the right direction for now but they still haven't proven ****.

The Padres' most recent playoff years are irrelevant to their current standing because that was under different ownership and different management.

I don't know what to think about Fowler and co just yet but, as stated earlier, I'm not a big fan of Josh Byrnes as GM.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    At least the Chargers spend money and make an effort to get better and make the playoffs. The Padres do not and don't make the effort while having high ticket prices.

Show me effort in the FO and I'll support it.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The Chargers also work in a league with a salary cap that keeps things even. The Padres have to compete with the Yankees' pocket book.

Look, I'm not saying Padres management/ownership has been the pinnacle of success. They have not been. I'm just saying that the Chargers' have paralleled them in terms of success and management, yet many football-first fans have a double standard in how they choose to support or not support both teams.

Case in point, the current Padres ownership is only about 2 years old but your holding the misgivings of previous regimes against them.

Fowler hasn't impressed me yet, but he also hasn't given me reason for doubt. Of course, I don't approach Padres baseball and MLB's lack of a salary cap and expect ANY owner to come in and spend a lot on free agency. (I don't expect that out of the Chargers either, even with the cap)

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    They dont have to compete with the Yankees pocket book. Oakland manages to have good teams with a low budget but their GM happens to be a good one. The current Padres management hasnt spent on players either. As for the Chargers, salary cap or not they stil spend up to it. The Padres always have one of the cheapest team salaries.

True only two years with current owners but so far its been the same. Crappy team, no good players and didnt spend for any. The Chargers deserve a new stadium, the Padres do not but im glad they got one. They just continue to suck and dont seem to care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +315
    Wow....this post made me yack in my mouth. :sick:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Wipe your chin please... Tictac?

18. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Expecting Manziel to actually come to SD to play baseball is just like expecting to see Santa come down your apartment's faux chimney on Christmas night to deliver presents...

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    What.... But Santa is real! He is! HE IS!

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,165
    ^^^ I hate to break it to you big guy...

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Evil disinformation! You are an AntiClausite and I will not listen to your lies any longer! AND STAY AWAY FROM THE EASTER BUNNY MISTER!