1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Joint McShay/Kiper Draft.....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, May 1, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,649
    25. San Diego Chargers

McShay's pick: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

Analysis: Kiper made a great pick with Fuller, which makes for a tougher call here, but cornerback is a need position, and Verrett is just a good player. He plays bigger than his size and can stick to guys in coverage.

Perfectly happy with this BUT FOR THE FACT BARR dropped to 30.

57. San Diego Chargers

McShay's pick: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

Analysis: Nix would have been a good fit here had he dropped, but Richburg will help solidify the interior of the offensive line.

Xavier Sua'Filo goes one pick later...... Like the pick but for the fact the best pure guard is there

89. San Diego Chargers

McShay's pick: Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming

Analysis: Our receiving corps was hit hard by injuries last season (making way for 2013 third-round pick Keenan Allen's 71-catch season), and despite all of the receivers to go off the board already, Herron still represents a solid value at this point.

Again, fine pick but for the fact that had we gone Barr, Philip Gaines is there for the taking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    Per TT, the Chargers are not going to draft on a "need" basis in the Draft, it was reported by CBS 8. To me, it doesn't mean that the Chargers are going to be drafting QB, RB, RT, LG, ILB, S or everything else which they do not need. I think what Telesco is signaling is that since most draft experts are penciling Chargers for a CB at # 25, do not be surprised if he addresses other long term needs first by selecting the BPA (per Chargers' evaluation)

The more I see experts predicting a small frame CB for us, the more I'm convinced that TT will either go OLB or will trade down for more picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    If Fuller and Verrett are gone I'm betting it's Attaochu or Van Noy, either thru trade down or right on 25....preferably trade of course.

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    i see us trading down tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    God if our second and third rounds go that way I'm going to be pissed. Weather Telesco says he won't draft based on need, not drafting a NT in the first 3 rounds is a huge mistake.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,649
    Disagree strongly. Besides Nix and Daquan Jones (and I'm not sure about either) the top two NTs IMHO are Day 3 picks; Justin Ellis from LA Tech and (my fav) Zach Kerr from Delaware.

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    justin ellis is a tank,hes all power and demands double teams. Hed make manti and butler even better

9. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354

Fact is the 3/4 just doesnt work well without a good NT. And I would take my chances with either of them instead of waiting till day 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    This draft is one of the deepest drafts in the recent past, both qualitatively and quantitatively, from the 2nd round through the 4th and perhaps beyond. This is the kind of draft where a smart and ambitious GM must take advantage of to add quality depth top the roster. If opportunity presents itself, TT must seriously consider trading down for more 2-3rd round picks, instead of trading up in order to acquire a "marquee" player (there won't be any past the 5th to the 6th pick) I will not be too upset to trade away one of the late rounders to move up in the 3rd or the 4th for the player who we must have, but that's the limit of my generosity ;)

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I feel like Al Pacino in the Godfather when it comes to Roby

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

Part of my interest in him is my self conscience preparing for him to be our selection and part of my interest is the idea of what we could have. If we get the guy we saw in 2012 and the latter half of the 2013 season before he got hurt. We got ourselves one hell of a steal

12. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    I for one am fully prepared for TT not to draft him. TT made it clear last year that he wants guys with a good head on their shoulders, and love the game.

Roby has questionable work ethic, and gets in trouble off the field. Just doesn't seem like his "type" of guy. But hey I am wrong a lot when it comes to the draft so agree to disagree I suppose.

13. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    So, pretty much we could've drafted Barr, Sua'Filo & Gaines? That would be better than what they picked IMO.

Would be very happy with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Technically Allen doesn't fit the bill for love of the game or good head on their shoulders, Last year he was ready to walk away from football after his 3rd pre season game because he thought he wasn't getting it, I think he said it was his mom or dad that talked him into staying.

And he's always doing or saying stupid stuff on social media from posting that picture of himself in a raiders hat to using curse words to describe something on social media. I know its not as serious as a felony or something like that, and times I wish it was (Raiders hat) but he is representing an organization so even showing classless taste can sometimes be just as bad. Having said that, I love Allen and couldn't be happier that he's a Charger.

To say Roby got in trouble off the field is fair but the word "off field issues" just bugs me, it's like "BPA" but his trouble should not be a knock on the guy at all. He got in a fight at a bar, what 21 year old kid hasn't gotten into a fight at some point while being intoxicated, (I know I have my fair share of scars) and this last incident was probably the most ridiculous of anything I've ever seen, he had the equivalence of 1 beer (who is of legal drinking age) while sitting in his immobile car with the keys out of the ignition and out of reach.

Coming into last year with the 1 game suspension Roby admitted to not being prepared, and then later admitted to playing to his potential. Once he did you could see how much better he got, luckily coming into this year, he'd have Weddle, Johnson, Freeney, Butler, and just guys with good work ethic like Stuckey, and T'eo, ETC. to help keep him motivated.

He even said he's friends with Jhaleel Addae, who is a machine and has been training to get better for this season ever since last season ended.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    And while you may be right about fitting the bill of TT. Keenan Allen also fell to the third round. Due to injury and failed drug test. If Bradley Roby is their in the third for our taking. Sure. I have no problem with that. But you are banking a first round pick on a guy whether "stupid or everyone has done it" or not has 2 run ins with the law in 12 months. Not to mention was less than average last year.

The difference between you and I doing those things, and him, is that he is making these poor choices with million's on the line. You and I? We get to go work our asses off for the same poor salary we got the day before. :)

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Yeah I think the bottom line is you just don't want to risk whiffing on a 1st round pick....just for the sake of the couple inches of height he has on Verrett, who was not only consistent throughout his college career but is squeaky clean off the field. There is simply no way I would ever select Roby over Verrett, Fuller, or Dennard based on the information we have right now.

Now if all those guys are gone, and we're not sold on Attaochu and we traded back and picked up a few more picks I would be fine with picking him up in the early-mid 2nd round just based on the raw talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I hope Malcom Floyd can stick around and rub off on KA some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,728
    I love Malcom…really…gifted athlete…good character guy.

But given that he has never been able to stay healthy enough--in a decade--to make
    as many catches (71) for as many yards (1,046) as KA did in his very first campaign…
    I must admit I winced a bit at the notion of Malcom rubbing off on him...

• Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Phrasing!:eek:

20. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Floyd's a standup guy and hard worker. I think he's a great guy for a younger player to be exposed to. Doesn't mean KA will emulate him, or that he even needs to. He's so young that just maturing in age may be enough to alleviate any worries people might have about him. Anyway, having a great guy like Floyd around can't hurt.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    agreed with the last sentence my friend

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Based off of Rotoworlds team meetings and work outs list, aside from Roby the othe DB's brought in are versatile to play both safety and CB

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    :abq1:
    In that case. I'm going to need TT to pick up my boy Lamarcus Joyner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    hes only 5ft8, thats one inchl esst han verrett,hesa 1sr round pick.

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    And? The point of this is because he said TT is looking at S/CB hybrids, which Verrett and your boy Roby are not.

26. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    i agree, il ike jouner bettert han verrett if were talking about undersized cbs.but that opinion

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    There's no reason to believe that Roby can't play safety. His skill set actually may project better as a FS than as a boundary corner, particularly in a scheme that asks the DB's to press (not that we've seen evidence that ours does, but we sure seem to have been making a concerted effort to grab at players who fit that "press-corner" cookie-cutter).

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    I don't see the two as exclusively linked. If we drafted Joyner we'd still need CB help.

I'll also say I'm not a supporter of replacing Addae with such a high pick at this point, I think he deserves a chance to prove his performance in December and January were not a fluke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    I don't like Joyner better than Verrett by any stretch of the imagination. I just like what Joyner brings. He beings an attitude and passion for the game that this defense sorely needs. He is a little guy that hits like a LB. I just love watching him play is all. But if its Verrett or Joyner I'm going Verrett.