1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jokeland One of 5 Under NFL's Radar??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigmike.x.09, Aug 13, 2008.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8445928/Five-teams-flying-under-NFL's-radar

:icon_huh: since when can you go from 3-13 to a team that goes at least 500? i mean dont you have to start with talent to win games? i mean defense wins games, and well... jokeland doesnt seem to scream "defense" to me, and they kinda lose cuz of penalties half the time...

idk, just my two cents. :icon_shrug:

this has left me confused, i say jokeland doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of winning more than 5 this year.

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Well, there have been a few instances of teams going "worst to first." In fact it almost seems like at least one team does it every year now.

That being said, it ain't gonna be the Raiders. We're talking about a team who biggest weaknesses are on the offensive and defensive lines, with a virtual rookie at QB, a passing game that, in Lane Kiffin's own assessment this week, has a long way to go, linebackers who their own fans complain can't tackle, and NO depth.

There are so many things that can go wrong with that team it's almost beyond counting the possible combinations of ways the Raiders will finish below .500 again. I'm probably one of the few, but I think it's very possible the Raiders could be worse than last year.

3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Given that the Donkos and Chefs are both...well...AWFUL, it ain't inconceivable the Raiders could finish second in our division. With that said, do I think they'll be a factor in the end... ?:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

NO F'ING WAY!

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    We should know, we did that but with far less fanfare and far less 'big name talent'. The issue is that the media made the same stupid prediction when it was Kerry Collins, Randy Moss and Warren Sapp. Crazy Al bought a bunch of moderate talent made outstanding by the bad pieces around them (DeAngelo Hall, Javon Walker, Gibril Wilson) and some real pieces of crap (Kwamie "Ole!" Harris) so by media logic they could surprise.
    I think the Raiders are going to be the 'strongest competition' but that's because the Broncos are crap and KC's rebuilding. Raiders for all their 'talent' bought lemons and they will be very unhappy very soon (except for us, we'll be laughing our ****ing asses off).

5. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    haha, yeah, itll look like this

Chargers 13-3
    Raiders 4-12
    Broncos 3-13
    Chiefs 3-13

haha STACKED

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    This has happened each of the last three years. Those ****s will suck once again this year. My only wish was that we could shut them out at the **** Hole opening day like in 2006.

7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    omg that was AWESOME. slap in the face AND tea-bagged.

9 sacks right? :icon_rofl:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I lurked on RF.net and found out that Kwame Harris suffered a shoulder injury.

Oh, and uh something possibly major:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/injuries/OAK

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    does anyone else look at the schedule and totally not see the raiders games on accident.... just because they suck sooo bad :icon_huh: well at least we know we're not going 0-15 EVER!!

10. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    yeah... theyre kinda screwed for the season i think lookin at their schedule.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'll take this into consideration... What have they had/done since the team's 2002 Super Bowl?

They aren't saying they're as talented as that team but most talented since. So I guess they feel the Raiders will win more than four games this season.

I say... "if they're extremely lucky they'll finish at 4-12.

Bolts 0-2
    Quiefs 1-1 (Home game victory)
    Donkos 0-2
    @Bills L
    @Saints L
    Jets L
    @Ravens L
    Falcons W
    Panthers L
    @Dolphins W
    Patsies L
    Texans L
    @Bucs L

I say 3-11!

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I may be in a minority, but I think they will win 7 or 8 games and finish second in the division. The team that will really disappoint I think will be the Broncos. No more than 7 wins for them, and possibly as few as 5. They could go 1-6 into their bye week.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Look at their schedule.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    That isn't really saying much, their best season since 02 was 5-11, so maybe they'll go 6-10.

I don't see it happening though with Fatass Russell.

15. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I really like their personnel, but then again, I've really liked their personnel several times since 2002, and it rarely translates on the field.

I will give the Raiders some hope, because I think their running game could be special (Bush and McFadden are both potential #1's and little Huggy Bear is solid), but like many teams, it comes down to how effective their young QB can be.

I still think they are a year away from competing, but they have some pieces. Let's just see if Al gets out of Kiffin's way. I actually think Lane knows what he's doing.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    They are the Tennessee Titans with a slightly better core of running-backs, only without the defensive front-seven and without the ridiculously mobile QB. And their offensive line is just plain bad at pass-blocking. Vanden Bosch is going to run over that third-round draft pick they're putting in at LT this week. I honeslty will be surprised if they let J-Russ throw more than five or six times against you, and they'll all be three-step drops.

Every team in the NFL is going to utilize the exact same defensive gameplan that you guys used against us last year... 100% commitment to stopping the run. The difference will be that the Raiders aren't going to be good enough to beat that by making big plays in the passing game. And their defense isn't good enough to help them win a war-of-attrition.

Trust me... I have seen the Raiders for years now. If there's two things you can bank on it's that their offensive line will get J-Russ killed, if not physically at least in terms of confidence, and even if they manage to keep a game close their defense will fold in the fourth quarter.

They seriously have a LOT of work to do on their lines. They have neglected both lines for years now and they are going to continue paying the price for it. Their linebacking core is weak, and as soon as their offense gets good enough to consistently score we will discover how awful the Raiders defense really is. Teams haven't even been trying to throw the ball on them the last two years. Why would you when you know they can't score 20 points and the only way they'll beat you is if you turn the ball over? As soon as they get to where they're a threat to score 20+, that defense will get exposed.

17. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Flying under the radar? I hope the predictions aren't based on their first pre-season game. Sure, they have a lot of "talent" but it's suspect at best. Walker and Hall are already whining. Sure didn't take long. Just keep working that magic Al, thanks for helping us keep first place in the AFC West!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'll also have to give them a W against the Ravens. They're just a mess right now. Lots of injuries, uncertainty at QB, old defense another year older, Ogden gone.

They may be able to split with the Donks as well.

Their D has shown some toughness at times. 5-11 is reasonable on the higher end of the spectrum.

19. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I have 5 wins for the Raiders in 2008.

1 win each over Denver and KC plus wins over the Falcons, Panthers and Jets. (Cannot predict a season without abnormalcy.)

Plus the team that goes from worst to first in 2008 I have will be the Philadelphia Eagles.

20. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    OK then, here's how I'd see it.

Week 1 vs. Denver W
    Week 2 @ KC W

Week 3 @ BUF L
    Week 4 vs. SD L

Week 5 Bye Week
    Week 6 @ NO L
    Week 7 vs. NYJ L

Week 8 @ BAL W
    Week 9 vs. ATL W

Week 10 vs. CAR L
    Week 11 @ MIA W
    Week 12 @ DEN L
    Week 13 vs. KC W
    Week 14 @SD L
    Week 15 vs. NE L

Week 16 vs. HOU W
    Week 17 @ TB L

There's 7-9. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sweep Denver, or pull out a win either @ Buffalo or vs. New York. That would push them up to 8-8.

Here's Denver. It's ghastly.

at Oakland - LOSS
    SAN DIEGO - LOSS
    NEW ORLEANS - LOSS

at Kansas City - WIN
    TAMPA BAY - LOSS
    JACKSONVILLE - LOSS
    at New England - LOSS

BYE WEEK
    MIAMI - WIN
    at Cleveland - LOSS
    at Atlanta - WIN
    OAKLAND - WIN

at New York Jets - LOSS
    KANSAS CITY - WIN
    at Carolina - LOSS
    BUFFALO - LOSS
    at San Diego - LOSS

5-11, yikes. And 1-6 going into their bye. Can you imagine the chaos reigning in Denver if that were to happen?

It's possible they could win one or two more to get them to 6-10 or 7-9, but no better than that. I'd peg them at about 6-10.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If it were a home game for the Raiders, I would agree.

22. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

I might give them a win over the Jets... Favre is old, and learning a new system on team that has about a third as much talent as GB. New chemistry, and from the interviews I've seen he doesn't seem to have his heart in it.

I'd also give it to them over the ravens. The ravens were terrible last year, also have a new QB, and haven't really done anything to improve. Sapp is old too.

And finally they COULD be the broncos. Shanahan is a better coach, and the broncos are usually more disciplined, Cutler seems to be coming into his own, however, I don't think any of there offseason aqucistions will help them, they've been bitten by the injury buy, seem to have some chemistry problems, and have been on the down side for last two years. So I could give them one win there.

I'd say 6 to 7 wins. The bucs could give it to them if they are already locked for the playoffs, and rest their starters.

23. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I'm thinking more like 5-11. Which isn't much of a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Raiders won't win more than 6 games unless they have blindingly amazing luck in a game or two.

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I watched the Faiders-niners game and I have to say the Raiders still suck...out loud. The o-line is probably the worst in the league and the Defense couldn't even stop 2nd-string San Francisco. They will do nothing...again.

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Even Kiffin is starting to sound cynical. He said they have a ton of work to do in the passing game. He was talking about Kwami Harris' shoulder injury and his replacement at LT having to go up against Vanden Bosch and said "well, that should be interesting..." He also made a comment recently about not having enough players. I don't think Kiffin is looking at the Raiders' gig as a long-term career, if you take my meaning.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    How cheerful would you be in that stinkin situation?

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You can't evaluate the Raiduhs on their roster alone, which IS full of holes. Kiffin's position with that team is compromised by Davis and once the misfortunes start to pile up, he may lose control of that team. The Raider Town atmospher could become as toxic as Jupiter.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    just watch the Faider game tonight against the Titans. You will see one of the most dysfunctional NFL teams out there. They got lucky against the niners. The Titans are playoff contenders, though and the Raiders won't get lucky tonight...mark my words. Boo Raiders!!!!

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder how this pair will swell their injured lists?