1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jonathon Ogdon tells Ravens to assume he is retired

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Seems to me they will need anothe LT which isnt real good for us if we need one to drop to us.

From today's Las Vegas Sports Section

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/16591431.html

Ravens' Ogden keeping busy as retirement nears

Injuries have slowed down Henderson resident

By TODD DEWEY
    REVIEW-JOURNAL

[​IMG]

Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden, an 11-time Pro Bowler in his 12 NFL seasons, and his wife, Kema, sit inside L.A. Boxing, a gym they opened in Henderson on March 1.
    Photo by Ralph Fountain

Jonathan Ogden is a perfectionist on the football field.

That trait has helped the Baltimore Ravens' 6-foot-9-inch, 345-pound left offensive tackle earn 11 straight trips to the Pro Bowl.

But that trait also appears to be the reason the Henderson resident is leaning heavily toward retirement after 12 seasons of toiling in NFL trenches.

Ogden, who has lived at Anthem Country Club since 1999, has never needed surgery in his career, but injuries to his hamstring and left big toe have hampered his play over the past two years and hastened his decision to retire.

"It's just frustrating, because I couldn't play, especially this last year, at the level that I'm used to playing at, and that kind of irritates me," Ogden said at L.A. Boxing, a gym he and his wife, Kema, opened March 1. "I'm a perfectionist out there on the football field, and that's kind of why I'm leaning toward retiring.

"I have not officially retired, but ... the Ravens know to proceed with their offseason plans as if I'm retiring. So if I come back, it's great, they said, but they're proceeding as if I'm not."

Ogden, who made a career-low 10 starts last season, injured his toe in November 2006 in a game against the Cleveland Browns -- tearing tendons beneath the ball of his foot and partially tearing a tendon beneath his big toe. The injury still hasn't healed.

"I taped it up the other day when I went running," Ogden said. "It just hasn't healed 100 percent, and I don't know if it will. The doctor's still not sure.

"I can still play, but ... I don't want to play if I can't play at the level I'm capable of playing at."

Ogden grew up in Washington, D.C., and was a four-year starter for UCLA, where he won the 1995 Outland Trophy, presented to the nation's best interior lineman.

He was the inaugural draft pick of the Ravens, and the fourth overall selection, in 1996 and made 45 straight starts to begin his career.

Ogden started all 16 games in six of his first eight seasons and has missed just 16 starts in 12 years.

Ogden, who also has two touchdown catches, helped Baltimore win Super Bowl XXXV in 2001.

"I remember being on the field with the confetti falling and 'We Are The Champions' playing and I was like 'wow, we did it,' " he said.

Ogden, 33, said he considered retiring after the 2006 season, in which the Ravens went 13-3 before losing in the playoffs to the Indianapolis Colts.

"I definitely considered it, but I thought we had a chance to do something special again. But we didn't, obviously. We went 5-11," he said. "I only played in one game we won this year, the last game of the year, so that was stressful."

Ogden said he's happy with Baltimore's decision to hire John Harbaugh as coach this offseason.

"He's a fiery guy, very fiery. He's going to get guys motivated and going," Ogden said. "He's going to be a change for those guys around there, but it's going to be good. I think they need a little kick in the butt, in a good way."

Ogden said he will stay busy with his many charitable foundations and his passion, playing golf.

"I love golf," said Ogden, a 15-handicap who lives in a house on the 14th hole at Anthem equipped with an elevator and super-sized ceilings and doorways. "We live on the course, so I just hop on a golf cart and go."

Ogden has been married to Kema, a Las Vegas native who attended Chaparral High School and UNLV, for three years. The couple has a 3-year-old son, Kayden.

"The only thing I'm putting in his hands is a golf club," Ogden said of his son. "That's it."

Ogden long has been involved in community service, establishing the Jonathan Ogden Foundation and the Ogden Club in the Baltimore area, among other endeavors, and he and his wife established the Ogden Foundation in the valley last year.

Ogden also is planning to host his seventh annual charity golf outing on April 28 at Southern Highlands Golf Club.

"I'm not an athlete who feels like the public owes them something. I owe the public," he said. "That's the way it should be. I've gotten so much from playing football, I figured I would give back."

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    No we dont need a LT ,but a OT we do need.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Ravens have MANY holes to fill. All their talent has grown old and they'll be rebuilding for quite awhile.
    About the only talent they have on offense is at RB and TE. Having a low #1, they might go after a QB or WR.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Out of whose rear end is he going to pull them. I suspect AJ's lower GI has been emptied by this time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    RC, you're killin' me!! :icon_rofl:

I knew Ogden was a huge guy, but 6'9"?!?! And 345. That's one big mofo. :yes: Baltimore is sure gonna miss him. They're definitely heading into the rebuilding stage. Cleveland should win that division this year.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I hope not he did not impress me at the combine... I saw an interview with him and for a fighting irish alum he did not come across too well. He will be a serviceable player at best in this league. But not good enough to get more time than Ryon Bingham even.

I hope we pass on him.

7. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm still getting more and more intrigued by Kentwan Balmer, who could allow us to move Igor inside.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Why would the Chargers move Igor inside?

9. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Brutally strong, less mobile than ideal for a DE, but faster and more mobile than most noses. The techniques he's learned at DE will serve him rather well. His reach makes him an obstacle in a QB's throwing lanes.