1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jordan on IR; LB Speegle signed...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Oct 11, 2006.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/jordan-placed-on.htm

that's one big LB... :icon_eek:

Offensive tackle Leander Jordan fought the battle for weeks, doing everything he could to make it back on the field, but his inability to recover from a neck injury suffered in the third week of the preseason ultimately cost the veteran lineman his 2006 season. On Wednesday, the Chargers placed Jordan on Reserve-Injured.

Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said: “Given the fact that he’s missed a considerable amount of time and we’re still not sure when he could return, it just seemed that it was in our best interest as well as his to just go ahead and put him on injured reserve and give him a chance to fully recover.”

Jordan started nine games for the Chargers in 2005, eight at left tackle and one on the right side. In order to fill Jordan’s roster spot, the Chargers added linebacker Nick Speegle Wednesday. Speegle was a sixth-round draft choice of the Cleveland Browns in 2005. He appeared in 14 games as a rookie, mostly on special teams. Speegle finished fifth on the team with 11 special teams tackles.

“He’s obviously a very bright kid,” Schottenheimer said. “He was a good special teamer in Cleveland. Those are positive things. He’s got size and speed.”

Prior to his time in Cleveland, Speegle (6-6, 250) was an All-Mountain West Conference performer at New Mexico. With the Browns, he gained experience in the 3-4 defense and was extremely active in the community.

Also, the Chargers signed cornerback Gabe Franklin to the practice squad on Tuesday. Franklin attended the Chargers training camp in 2005. He spent this past summer with the San Francisco 49ers.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    damn that's a big mamma jamma
    thus ends the not so good career of Leander Jordan with the San Diego Chargers

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    uhhhhhhh that doesn't really leave us with a whole hell of a lot of depth at tackle now does it? hope oben is ready to suit up, post haste!

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has a perfect blend of durability, toughness, quickness and power … Plays with reckless abandon, hitting everything in sight … Has fluid backpedal skills dropping off in the zone, showing good hip turn and the quickness to make the cut-off … Displays good hand usage sticking with the tight ends in the short area, getting proper separation while controlling and locking on … Goes low and drives hard with his legs to rock the opponent back … Has natural explosiveness when closing and a natural explosion behind his tackles … Has the vision and anticipation skills to mirror receivers' moves in man coverage … Gets an excellent jump on the ball and is very aware of his assignments within the zone … Glides out smoothly and shows impressive lateral agility in pursuit … His hip flexibility and body control are evident in his ability to quickly drop back in pass coverage … Shows urgency getting to the quarterback on the blitz and the creativity to knife his way through the pile to collapse the pocket … Avid film studier who is highly regarded by teammates and coaches … Takes great pride in his work habits and is completely focused on improving his talents.

Negatives: A little tall in his stance for a linebacker and could possibly shift to defensive end … Sometimes gets too tough and reckless in pursuit, overrunning the plays … Has to maintain better hand contact with the blocker to escape low blocks … Little bit too high in his backpedal, causing for a choppy motion on his breaks … Will struggle to pick off passes, as he lacks natural hands.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/speegle_nick

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    An injury to a tackle really could screw up our season. Oben's return is HUGE at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, It will be good to have oben back. Next week I believe. Or is it the week after. Lekkekerkkekkerkekker right now is our backup o-tackle i believe.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    is there any dropoff from Jordan to Lekkerkerker?

I mean, Jordan is proven (to be really bad) Lekkerkerker is unproven which might be better :icon_shrug:

8. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I was thinking the same thing. Here's to hoping it is true.

You don't suppose they are bringing in the LB to turn him into a tackle do ya? :lol:

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    No it doesnt. We need to sign another one quick. Oben could end up on IR as well.

The LB sounds good but then again...he wasnt on anybodies roster. We have McNeil with broken hands...Jordan is on IR and Oben could be next and we bring in a OLB?

10. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

Think it either means that they really believe Oben will be back next week or maybe there's a donnie trade on the horizon.

11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Totally agree, but let's keep the faith... AJ's done pretty well so far.

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    maybe... they move Manu to OT in an emergency...:icon_eek:

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    where's lekkerkerker's parent
    he;s now hte primary backup

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that Jordan was put on IR signals to me that Oben is going to be back soon. That's ver good news. But with the way McNeill has been playing, I don't think Oben will see the field unless there's an injury.

15. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14

exactly....:icon_shrug:

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Guess you have not seen the quotes from Marty and others that say they expect Oben back very soon. He's very close to being ready to go. That's why they placed Jordan on IR now. Because Oben's going to be back next week.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    depth on the o-line has always been a big problem for everyone. The teams that get lucky enough to be somewhat injury free all year, make it to the promised land.

gotta get warm bodies in there.

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd just like to say a huge THANK GOD Leander "The Human Turnstile" Jordan will be nowhere near the field or anywhere close to being responsible for Philip's blindside.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I rest my case

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    They also said they expected him to be ready for training camp.

I saw the quote...not quotes and im betting he is done for the year. He is elligible to come off the PUP list next week....doesnt mean he is ready to play. I also saw the quote where Marty and Rivers were saying Jordan was doing great in TC.....he still sucks!
    I dont know if id say Obens status has anything to do with Jordon being put on IR. If Jordon is hurt....he is hurt. He wont heal faster if Jordan isnt ready to come back.

21. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    We will be fine with Lekkerkerker and Jeromy Clarey if necessary(they can't be any worse than the Turnstyle!!!), these are the kind of guys AJ prides his teams with, quality backups....besides we get the wiley Vet in Oben back next week, so we are fine at tackle.

I say the OLB'er is prime candidate to take backup OLB status next year when Foley doesn't make it back, sitting behind Merriman, Phillips and Harris.....seems like an interesting prospect, both on special teams and at OLB'er. Welcome to Boltland Speegle!!! Ride the Lightnin' to Miami.:bolt:

What we NEED is a decent backup for Jamal....hopefully a first day pick in the April draft. An impact ILB like Willis would be nice with Donnie and Godfrey gone.....I liked AJ's quote the other day "my focus is the 2007 draft." That is why we have done so well on draft day, he starts his homework early!!!

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

You must be joking!

Im much better with the backup sitution at NT than i am with OT. Clarey will be fine? Lekerkerker may or may not be as good as Jordan. If he were, he would have been the next in line at the backup possition.

Sorry..that possition worries the **** out of me.

For NT i think Bingham is more capable than those OT backups.....and even if Jamal went down...Castillo could move in there and Cesaire would take his spot.

I think we could still use an upgrade at NT for Jamal, but its in better shape than OT. Moving Castillo inside isnt ideal, but thats what we got that would work for us.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Totally agree that Bingham is better than our OT backups. If 'mal went down I would expect them just to substitute Bingham and let everybody else stay where they are.

24. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I know may disagreed with me before, and while I wouldn't do it midseason, if Jamal went down in a similar fashion to Oben to where we couldn't count on him for next year, I would switch to a 4-3 with Castillo and Igor inside and Phillips and Merriman on the ends (or maybe Cesaire and Phillips rotate situationally). Maybe keep Merriman at LB and have Cesaire and Phillips on the ends.

I know it doesn't really put Merriman in the best position to succeed, but I am very scared of running the 3-4 without a NT like Jamal.

That said the OT position is much weaker as far as depth is concerned and we should fix that first

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, there have been several quotes about Oben's good health and how he'll be ready to come off the PUP list next week. I don't think they would have put Jordan on IR just to sign Speegle. It's very difficult to determine how long someone will stay out with a neck stinger. The Bolts could have kept Jordan on the active roster for a few more weeks, with the hope he could make it back. But they chose to IR him now, which sets the stage for Oben's return.

It's not a stretch to infer that Oben's status and Jordan's are linked, especially since Jordan was IRed the week before Oben is able to come off the PUP list.