1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jordan Todman, RB UConn

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, May 2, 2011.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Loved this pick, and really he just topped off my favorite chargers draft in 5-6 years.
    Can do everything sproles can, but for 1/20th the price, but also is bigger, faster and stronger than sproles

OH, and maybe now when norv calls that stupid shotgun draw play on 3rd down, it might actually work!

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Oh you didn't enjoy it when Sproles get's nailed in the backfield for a loss on that play? :mad:

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    This kid can move like another back that we used to have, but has some pop and zip to his moves.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I have no idea who you're referring to. ;)

This kid has a good build and nice body lean.......

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    "at the NFL Combine this past week where Todman scored one of the fastest 40-yard dash times (4.4) and with his 203-pound frame racked the 225-pound bench press 25 times. His 38 inch vertical jump tied him for second for running backs"

The kid's combine workout was impressive. And he obviously produced in college. So that bodes well for him. Seems like a very talented guy to pick up in Round 6.

7. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    fixed it for ya! ;)

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Actually, you didn't....... I seriously doubt Sproles is as fast today as when he was drafted. Sproles ran a 4.49 40 yd dash at the combine.

Watching his carries from last season, and lack of production, only confirms that Sproles isn't the threat he once was.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Not really. Sproles is cat quick, but is only above average when it comes to long range speed

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    After 6 years in the league, I doubt he's anywhere near as quick or has the long range speed of Jordan Todman.

Frankly, what Sproles is best at, is picking up the blitz....... he's way ahead of Mathews and Tolbert as a pass blocker on 3rd down.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oh, and since were making Todman to Sproles comparisons, the fact that Todman had zero fumbles in over 600 carries is significant.

Fans killed Mathews and Tolbert for coughing up the ball last year, which they did, but Sproles was hardly better. Both Mathews and Tolbert had 5 fumbles, losing 3 of them. Sproles only had 3 fumbles, but lost all 3.

Personally, I welcome the addition of a player who has a history of holding on to the football.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Where did we get this stat that he had no fumbles?

Ryan Mathews ESPN page says he didn't fumble a single time in college either, ESPN is known for F'n up stats.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You're right....... I found a mention of one fumble he had against Temple when his arm was heavily bandaged.

I might give him a bit of a pass on that one. Lets just say he doesn't have a reputation as a fumbler, OK? ;)

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Damn, I like our RB committee now. Tolbert and Mathews will probably switch off every few drives being the lead back and Todman could be our 3rd down back. Hell, maybe Todman will be the Brady of this draft and become our starter. I'd totally go with that

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    we scored big time by landing todman. He's gonna help us out big time with filling in for matthews. and if sproles goes. Even if sproles stays to have todman coming in on certain situations will be great. The kid is very quick and fast.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the problem with matthews and his fumbling was. He just wouldn't go down. And kept trying to get extra yardage. Which leaves him open to other defensive players coming in and stripping the ball when another defensive player has slowed him down.

I'm guessing matthews just has to either get vice grip arms or go down when he's being tackled.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey Foobs. Miss the Yoda AJ avatar. Yeah, he also has to use him blockers better. Mathews showed us what he can do esp. in the last game against the Donkeys. He should do better with season 1 under his belt. But yeah, I'm real excited on what Todman can do. Like some of you have mentioned earlier, I wouldn't mind if he took the No. 1 RB spot, but just adding him as another threat out of the backfield is nice. :D

19. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Todman was a good pick up for us and gives us good depth for the future.