1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Josh Barfield traded to Cleveland.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Nov 8, 2006.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Holy ****!!

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    speculation is that Marcus Giles is going to be acquired.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    we are SOOOO going to regret this
    ****!

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    We'll see.

For now I'm not happy, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop before I put forth a real opinion.

(A trade like this isn't made without something else behind it.)

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    your the baseball guru of bolttalk; any ideas what other shoe? Marcus Giles? Alfonso Soriano?

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Who died and made HIM the BB guru??:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :no:

• Like Like x 1
  8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I do not like this trade what so ever.:tdown:

:tdown: :icon_evil: It is going to bite us in the ***.:icon_evil: :tdown:

:icon_mad: :mad2: I guess we are on either rebuilding mode or on the fire sale track. I do not like at all:mad2: :icon_mad:

9. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Im not going to blow up just yet. If this leads us into grabbing Ramirez, or Soriano, then I will be happy. We can always grab a decent 2B. But we have negative power on this team and Im hoping they make a big splash with this trade. Until then, Im holding the lava in.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    THIS IS BULLSHIT, IM GONNA BLOW UP!!!! The kid was sick as hell and only getting better!!!. He had amazing range and speed, potential power and definatley could hit for average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is yet another ****ed up decision by the Padre brass, Bochy going was ****ed up, Roberts going was worse then ****ed up, and now we trade a guy I thought could have been the 1 2 punch with Gonzo for out offense!!!

ADVICE TO THE BRASS!NEVER TRADE A FORMER PRO'S SON, ESPCIALLY FOR RUSSIAN GUYS IVE NEVER HEARD OF!!

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Another project for 3rd Base?

But all I can find out about brown is that he has an above average fastball, and started out in the Dodgers organization, and was the player to be named in the Milton Bradley trade.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I wonder if we'll ever come out of the "trasition" phase if we keep trading proven players for minor league players????
    Dumb shits.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Sandy said he'd like to bring in Alfonso, but he also cautioned that if other teams "go crazy" on him that he'll go elsewhere...and I agree with that.

the rumors that are going are circling around Marcus Giles, but I haven't heard anything definitive just yet.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    This was not a "transition phase" move, it was simply a move made.

Sandy was interviewed on 1090.

He basically surmised that 2nd base is easier to fill than 3rd base is, and he thinks we found our "3rd baseman of the future"...but also went on to state that that doesn't neccesarily mean Kouzmenoff will be starting there next year. (ie. implying they may still try and bring someone else in that's proven for now.)

Sandy said that 2nd base is traditionally easier to fill and that he wouldn't be suprised if the Padres went through 5 or 6 2nd basemen between now and 10 years from now.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    As far as my personal opinion on this...I always make it a point to keep an open mind on anything done in the offseason until it appears the next season's team is finally put together.

Using this move as an example?

(Keep in mind, none of this is an indication of what they're trying to do...just saying if here)

If they were to sign Soriano and have him at 2nd I'd love the turn of events.

If they were to trade for Marcus Giles and still bring in someone else for 3rd base I'd be iffy on it, but not entirely displeased.

If they were to, say, resign Todd Walker as our everyday 2nd baseman I'd be pissed.

16. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Omifreakingawd, the texts hit my phone this afternoon!
    everybody was freeking out. i knew some sheet had hit the fan cause my phone was beepin like crazy.

I didnt think Dusty would agree with the program and Bud Black was the best choice.

WTF with JBarf gojng. They'd better have a replacement BETTER than, not equal to, him.

I guess this Kouzmanoff was player of the year at the AAA level last year. He can flat out hit at the AAA level.

17. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Yesterdays hot rumor was the Liney for Giles trade. I dont think Giles warrants Liney, but maybe they do.:tdown:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Retarded move.

• Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Padres are too much *****s to shell out the dough for a player like Soriano.

And why would they even consider Marcus Giles when we shoudl be focusing on getting rid of Brian Giles???
    I hate Brian, the guy is a washed up sack of **** at the plate, im pretty sure he used to juice by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    They have 35 mil to play with this offseason.

And, I emphesize it's 35 mil they were spending last season...therefore I see no reason why they won't spend it this season.

• Like Like x 1
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Its the fuggin padres here! They arent going to match up with anyone but the dodgers. I dont see this team in any world series in the near future. We are nothing but a farm team handing out talent. We give up on kids too easily. WE BETTER GET SOME KEY PLAYERS OR I WILL NEVER ATTEND ANOTHER PADRE GAME!

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I can make a similar argument about the Chargers...and it'll make the same amount of sense.

Stop living in 1992, they aren't just giving away talent anymore.

What are the examples?

Bay/Ollie?

You win with Bay, but that's pure 20/20 hindsight, as he had a grand total of 4 games at the major league level when he was traded.

Ollie sucks now

Nady?

We traded him for Cameron... that was a GREAT deal.

Barfield?

The book is still open on that, it was just done yesterday.

But, I will add that he was not traded for nobody, he was traded for young talent.

Whehter that turns into a good move or not remains to be seen, but it's hard to say they "give away young talent" when they're getting the same in return.

23. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Ive been waiting since 1981 for both the padres and chargers to win more than division titles. Small market teams, arent going to win every year. Build for tomorrow so I can atleast hold up one finger stating we won atleast one championship. The pads cant build winners every year like the yankees have, or the sox or the cards. We dont have the money. But you can rent players and add to what you already have to buy a championship. thats all I want, is one. After that, simply whip cream.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Can you count on one hand how many times you've agreed with AJ Smith's decisions at the time he's made them on one hand?

By God, the guy let a proven QB go for a guy who's never started a game in his life!

Wait things out before you jump to conclusions is all i'm saying.

Sandy is a great baseball mind and I trust what he and Kevin Towers are doing, even if this looks pretty bad at the start.

PS: Blowing all your money one one guy is not the key to success for a small market team in Major League Baseball.

prime example: Texas Rangers + Alex Rodriguez.

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    josh was pretty down on going to cleveland, heard him on the scott and br show

26. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    If you dont put winning product on this field, we wont compete. If you dont put up comparable product on this field, you wont win. Yes we pretty much backended into 2 consecative division titles but only winning 1 game out of 2 series, not going back to the world series in 98'. Tell me this, Do you go to any padres games? If so, who do you go to watch? Dont worry, Ill wait. Trevor Hoffman? Brian Giles? Dave Roberts? Lmao while others go to watch Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez...etc...etc.. We have no one worth watching on our squad but yet us fans pay the money to support this team. Now one of the newer exciting players breaking in with the padres is gone. Yeah and Im excited to see his replacement..Marcus Giles, Todd Walker, Nomar Garciaparra, Mark Loretta..wow, thrill me. I hear hype about this kid they traded for, suppose to have great power. Better hope so or this club will die. I would rather them spend big bucks on an exciting player, and for me to go spend my money to watch this guy blast homers off the metal supply building, than to watch a team hit singles and doubles.

27. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Tboltzcali I go to the games to hopefully see my boy Ben Johson play. That is for thge most part then I go to see Khalil Greene play as well becuase I like his style of play at SS. Pure excitment out there on the field.

Now for Khalil I know that it is a homer way to think about our SS. I just like the way he plays. The same can be said for Ben Johnson as well. Both of them are not the flashy and home run hitting players but they are the exciting players to watch out there on the field.

So that is why I go to see the Padres play.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    If you're going to keep making excuses for everytime they make the playoffs you're not going to ever see your definition of a "winning team"

Quick. Name me the last time the Padres won back to back NL West titles.

I'm waiting.

Can't think of it?

Probably because it's never happend before?

Laugh about Trevor Hoffman all you want, the guy is a future Hall of Famer.

I like how you conviningently leave Jake Peavy, Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez's names out of your rant, not to mention Khalil Greene.

The Padres have only won 1 playoff game in the past two years, yeah... guess what? That's one more playoff game than the Chargers have won since 1994, but that doesn't stop you from calling AJ Smith "God" does it?

The Padres are doing what they can in the market they have to work with. They've stumbled some along the way. They've made some piss poor decisions along the way, but in the end they've been in the playoffs 2 out of 3 years since PetCo has opened. And in that year they weren't there they were in the hunt late September.

Am I satisfied with just that? Of course not. I'm not satisified with that any more than I was with the Chargers' 1 and out in 2004.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to start making false accusations of not trying to win when I see that they clearly are trying to win.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Oh, and I had season tickets in 2004 and 2006. (I was on deployment in 2005 season)

30. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Ive watched almost every game since 1981, Ruppert Jones, Gene Richards, Juan Bonilla, Sixto Lezcano, Garry Templeton, Goose Gossage,Terry Kennedy, Eddie Whitson, Juan Eichelburger, Steve Garvey, Carmelo Martinez, Kevin MAc, Tony Gwynn, so on and so on. Ive lived in San Diego almost 30 years. Winning the National League West the last two years in a WEAK DIVISION ISNT anything to really boast over. The most meaningful was the 84' series and the 98' series. I mean, If we were in the NL East, those titles would not be ours. But we won them and yeah, we have the flags to prove it..thats it. Trevor is pretty much at the end of his career. True the only bright spots on this team are AGon, Khalil, Jake, Chris but thats not going to get us a championship when our team cant even smack a single with RISP.

Never said AJ was GAWD. Quote me please.

I just dont see a winning product on this field yet. If they were so interested in winning, and not so satisfied with there titles, why the hell did they let bochy walk? NO NEED TO WAIT, CUZ I WILL TELL YOU. Cuz he couldnt get it done. Two years in a row and 1 win under his belt. Oh ok, lets not blame bruce, lets blame the mediocure talent we have on the squad. Until we get some big hitters on this team, we arent going to compete for a WS. True the dodgers waste money every year in FA, but atleast they GIVE THEIR FANS hope.

Never been a season ticket holder, but I used to go to the games alot since 81'. Does that make me less of a fan? HELL NO! Im wondering, how long you been following this team.