1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Josh McDaniels?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Dec 21, 2012.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    They were a 5-11 team when he left. He did not improve them.

And if you think I'm comparing the two coaches you're not following my point. I'm comparing the two scenarios. There's a very HUGE fundamental difference.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Besides, Bellichick was just one example. He is not the only successful HC to not do so hot his first go-around.

Mike Shanahan and Marv Levy come to mind.

I'm not saying McDaniels is going to be a great, or even decent HC some day. I'm just saying I'm not writing him off as a horrible one just because he stunk his first try.

He's still close to the bottom of the barrel of my personal wish list.

It'd also be a stupid PR move to follow Norval up with him regardless of any rational argument that could be made for or against him, so there's that as well.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
  4. SanYsidro Bolt

SanYsidro Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I think they need to get a big name coach. Ala Gruden or Cowher, or maybe a Whisenhunt if he's let go. They need a big name to bring the fans back. Or if we're going college I'd like to see Brady Hoke in the Q again.

5. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,045

OK, just as I'm picking myself off the floor after reading that Tina actually GOT a sarcastic post, now this ??????

Get the farg outta here !!!!....... The world must be ending shortly. ;)

6. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    To McDaniels defense, and I can't believe I'm defending him, Denver gave a 16yr old the keys to a lambo, and he crashed it. They gave him way too much power, way too soon. He was in charge of the draft, free agents, trades, just too much power, too fast, went to his dead. If he is the HC in SD he will not be handing drafts, trades, or bringing in free agents. He is a good OC, and if we did get him here, his success would be in large part based on what coordinators he could bring in. He did bring in some decent coaches to Denver, and has done well calling plays for the Pats. Given he has Brady to make him look good. I'm not in favor of him being a HC, but it seems a lot of the things people are attacking him on are things he would not be allowed to do if he was hired here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I'll agree to an extent. He did bring Mike McCoy there.

But, living in New England, listening to the sports radio they'll believe McDaniels will stay at least another year UNLESS the Cleveland job becomes available. And according to sources, he will want to bring Ryan Mallet wherever he goes. So I doubt he comes here and runs Rivers out of town. So, hopefully, Deano is smarter than how he looks and doesn't bring in this guy.

8. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    That report has already been debunked, McDaniels said he does not have interest in coaching in Cleveland, and while he moved his family to New England to have some stability, he would be willing to take a HC job with a few teams, but the Browns were not high on his list at all.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They were 5-11 in a year that the owner announced they were leaving. If you think that's trivial, well, let's hope the Chargers don't prove you wrong soon.

Okay, so you're comparing the scenarios, fair enough. Belichick's scenario provides little justification for hiring McD, who ran the Donks into the ground.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Just a few days left ;)

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    How do you know? AJ could be gone too, and the new HC, if Dean loves him enough, might get more control.
    Also, we've heard the 'OC argument' before. That guy is about to get fired.