1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joyner: Eight overrated players...NO CHARGERS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Feb 20, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3243675

I've been promising the chatters on my weekly ESPN SportsNation chats that I would do my annual overrated players column. Now that the season is over, it's time for me to keep my word.

Here are eight players whose metrics and statistics say they aren't as good as their reputations (with Pro Bowl berths weighing heavily in measuring reputation):

Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland -- Anderson had nine games this past season with a passer rating of less than 80 and topped that mark only once in the final five games of the season. His 19 interceptions tied for fourth most in the NFL. His 82.5 season-long passer rating was lower than the passer ratings of Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub, Chad Pennington and Sage Rosenfels. Leading the Browns to 10 wins was impressive, but the sum of Anderson's accomplishments should not have equaled a trip to Honolulu.

Dallas Clark, TE, Indianapolis -- He often is mentioned as being among the elite tight ends in the NFL, but 2007 was the second year in a row he posted a mediocre 6.4 yards per attempt. If Clark played for a non-contender, he would be a relative unknown.

Donald Driver, WR, Green Bay -- He tied for 17th in the league in receptions, was 20th in receiving yards and was 21st in receiving yards per game. Four other Green Bay players had more touchdown receptions than Driver did. It's not that he is a poor receiver by any stretch, but nothing in his numbers suggested he should have been in the Pro Bowl.

Shaun Rogers, DT, Detroit -- He was named the NFC player of the week at one point during the 2007 season, but his 4.4 YPA allowed on point-of-attack runs was quite disappointing for a player who had been dominant in that area in the past. And that wasn't all: 30 of the 97 POA runs directed at Rogers gained at least 5 yards, and 11 went for 10-plus yards.

Richard Seymour, DE, New England -- He has to be given a bit of a break because an injury cost him seven games in 2007, but even once he returned he played nowhere near his typical level. He allowed 4.2 YPA on POA runs and posted a mediocre 10.5 POA success percentage. Add that to his 1.5 regular-season sacks and zero postseason sacks, and it shows Seymour has a way to go to get his play back up to his reputation.

Jeremy Shockey, TE, N.Y. Giants -- There is a reason for all the talk about whether Kevin Boss is the real long-term solution at tight end for the Giants. Shockey's 6.8 YPA this past season was mediocre, and that doesn't tell the whole story. Take away his 12-catch, 129-yard game against Dallas in Week 10, and Shockey averaged 3.5 receptions and 38 yards in every other game in which he played.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE, Tennessee -- Five of Vanden Bosch's 12 sacks were coverage sacks, and a sixth came against Renardo Foster, a rookie backup offensive tackle for the Falcons who had to fill in for Wayne Gandy in Week 4. Vanden Bosch also was a liability against the run, as evidenced by his 4.5 YPA allowed on POA runs and a somewhat average 16.2 POA success percentage.

Mike Vrabel, LB, New England -- Vrabel made the Pro Bowl largely on the strength of his 12.5 sacks, but he is nowhere near the elite pass-rusher that total says he is. Six of his sacks were of the coverage/scheme/run/garbage type, and he had only a single one-on-one sack in the last seven weeks of the regular season. Add his 5.6 YPA allowed on POA runs and zero sacks in the postseason, and it is clear his trip to Hawaii was based on past performance.

KC Joyner, aka The Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. His core passing metrics can be found in the ESPN Fantasy Football Magazine, which is on newsstands now. A free sample of his latest release ("Scientific Football 2007") is available on his Web site.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I disagree on Vanden Bosch and Driver.

They get an unfair wrap because they arn't your typical speedy pass rusher, or the flashy WR type, but they are badass players.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Vrabel and Seymour - hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! :icon_rofl:

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah I hated playing against him, which is the best indication that Vanden Bosch is probably pretty bad ***. Guy plays with incredibly heart and I don't think he belongs on this list.

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yeah, Vrabel does it all alright. He's a pro bowl caliber leg whipper for sure :tdown:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Fuk that gerble. That guy is overrated and a total piece of ****.

He was all over Merriman after his positive test. Calling him a cheater.

He plays for the poster child of cheaters.

And that leg whip on Rivers was a total cheater move.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I have to agree on Vanden Bosch, maybe even Driver. Can't quibble with the rest. Vrabel is a decent LB, but not the monster that his hype says he his. Can't quibble with the rest of the list. Andernson's second season will tell his story.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Totally agree. Hate Seymore Butts and the Gerbel the Leg Whipper. 2 cheater extraordinares.

Agree that Vanden Bosch should not be on that list. Dude is pretty fierce and has a non stop motor. Those lists are just his opinion though so I don't get too bent out of shape about them. They're like the mythical "Power Rankings".....:icon_shrug:

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He forgot ECry Manning. Regular season was so-so at best, managed to not screw things up while his defense won playoff games and the Super Bowl. Made ONE good highlight film play, and benefited from a ridiculous catch to steal MVP honors.

10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Totally agree!

If you remember last year's Superbowl, many people questioned whether or not Rex Grossman was the worst QB ever to play in the big game....any guess as to what his regular season stats were?

23 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions, exactly the same stats that ShEli put up this year! Rex won more games too, and captured the top seed in the NFC last year but lost in the big game.

Now, ECry got hot (and very lucky) in the postseason, first drawing the weakest team in the entire playoff field in Tampa, followed by 3 better opponents who all choked hard, but still could've beaten the Gnats if they had just made a play or two late in their respective games.

It would not surprise me at all, if the "defending Superbowl Champions" failed to even make the postseason next year.

11. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I Still Say It's Too Early To Say Good Or bad About Derek Anderson....I Watched A Few Of His Games And i Got To Say He's Not Too bad....Not Superior But Not The Worst....

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I actually agree on Anderson. He made big, big strides but a trip to the probowl? :icon_huh:

Dallas Clark is now the highest paid TE in the NFL :icon_huh:
    Good player but hardly in Gates league. 6.4 yards per catch is awful!

Richard Seymour is ALWAYS hurt. Every year he misses multiple games. IMO he IS overrated.

Vrabel is just a steady player....not an elite one. Nobody is saying he is a star so i guess he isnt overrated......unless im missing something and he is a star by someones standards.

13. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Derek Anderson went to Hawaii because Tom Brady begged off, and someone from the AFC had to go, and he was the 1st alternate....

Personally, I think David Garrard was more deserving but after the playoffs are completed, players tend to scatter to heal up and get a quick vacation in before the draft, and mini-camp.

Last year Vince Young made the Pro Bowl after Rivers elected not to go because he was injured, and 1st alternate Tom Brady elected not to go in favor of some golf tournament.

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah, i understand that,......and he shouldnt have been the 1sr alt either.

15. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    You're right about that....David Garrard was much more deserving....he led the Jags to 11 wins over some pretty good teams (to include us) and he only threw 3 picks all season....pretty impressive!

• Like Like x 1