1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jue still hoping to push for starting role with Bolts

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 5, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    <strong>August 5, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/08/05/sports/professional/chargers/21_30_578_4_05.txt">The North County Times</a>

SAN DIEGO ---- Bhawoh Jue admits he's trailing Jerry Wilson in the battle for the starting free safety's spot. But Jue's hopeful of closing ground as the Chargers close in on their exhibition season opener.

"It's coming up fast,'' Jue said.

His absorption of the Chargers' defense is considerably slower. He's being exposed to a 3-4 alignment for the first time, and it's something which isn't easily consumed.

"Right now there is still a learning curve; the defense is completely different,'' Jue said. "In the (Green Bay) scheme, I knew when to be aggressive and when not to be. I knew my personnel pretty well and was totally comfortable in the defense.

"Now I'm really trying to get completely comfortable with this defense by the first preseason game.''

That comes Thursday night when Jue, the only notable free agent the Chargers signed last offseason, returns to his old haunts. The Chargers hoist their exhibition season curtain in Green Bay, where Jue spent the first four years of his NFL career.

He exited Wisconsin, in part, to become a starter. He never got established with the Packers, coming into the league as a cornerback, switching to safety midway through his rookie year when LeRoy Butler suffered a career-ending injury and then ricocheting between the two positions.

Some Packers observers said Jue blew coverages at both positions, which deflated whatever confidence Green Bay's coaches had in him.

"I wasn't at one spot long enough to settle down,'' said Jue, who has 11 career starts. "They say jack-of-all-trades is a master of nothing.

"It was pretty frustrating because I was moving around a lot. I was playing nickel, dime, corner, safety. I wanted to get out there and play, but nobody is going to hold your hand when you get on the field.''

Packers fans often held their breath with Jue's play.

Currently, he's realistic in his bid to unseat Wilson, a two-year Chargers starter.

"Jerry is ahead,'' said Jue, who had 34 tackles and an interception last year. "No. 1, the playing field isn't exactly even due to the fact I'm just learning.

"I'm trying to learn as much as I can so when we get into the preseason games, I can let it loose."

Bolts and bumpers

The Chargers and the California Speedway are teaming up with an offer which includes a ticket to the Sept. 4 SONY HD 500 and the Chargers' Nov. 20 game against the Bills.

The cost is $145 per person, and includes transportation to the race or game, a pre-race pit pass and other souvenirs.

For information, call (909) 429-5000 and mention "Bolt to the Races."

Quick hits

Nothing new to report Thursday on the contract impasse with Pro Bowl TE Antonio Gates. ... Chargers missing all or a portion of the practices were T Courtney VanBuren (knee), DE Igor Olshansky (hamstring), WR Malcom Floyd (calf), LBs Ben Leber (ankle), Randall Godfrey (knee) and Marques Harris (back) and TE Ryan Krause (calf). Veteran T Roman Oben was held out to rest. ... The Chargers practice today at 8:30 a.m. (in pads) and 4 p.m. (special teams). ... The Chargers' Fan Fest is Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium. Gates open at noon for the 1 p.m. practice. Numerous activities are available for spectators, in addition to watching the workout. ... The Chargers have their first off day of camp on Sunday.