1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Junior Seau’s Family Will Not Be Allowed to Speak at Hall of Fame Induction

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jul 24, 2015.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    [​IMG]

Junior Seau will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in a couple of weeks, and it was his wish to have his daughter Sydney be the one to speak on his behalf during the ceremony. Now, the Hall of Fame has said that nobody will be allowed to speak for Seau.

Junior Seau’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame was always going to be awkward, a chance to celebrate a marquee player known for his bone-crushing career while not dwelling on his controversial death tied to it.

When his induction was announced at the Super Bowl, his family rejoiced and started thinking about what to say at the ceremony in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 8. Seau had told them if he ever made it, he wanted his daughter, Sydney, to introduce him.

Junior Seau, at his retirement announcement in 2006, had a degenerative brain disease widely connected to athletes who have absorbed frequent blows to the head.Junior Seau Had Brain DiseaseJAN. 10, 2013
    Junior Seau of the San Diego Chargers in 2002.Junior Seau, Famed N.F.L. Linebacker, Dies at 43; Suicide Is SuspectedMAY 2, 2012

But the Hall of Fame does not plan to let Sydney or anyone else speak on his behalf. Instead, it will only show a video that will commemorate his career, while avoiding questions about his suicide in 2012 and the subsequent diagnosis of traumatic brain injury that doctors said they believed was brought on by hits to his head. Nor will the video mention the lawsuit that Seau’s family has filed against the N.F.L., which is trying to curb injuries in active players and address brain disease in thousands of retired ones.

“It’s frustrating because the induction is for my father and for the other players, but then to not be able to speak, it’s painful,” Sydney said. “I just want to give the speech he would have given. It wasn’t going to be about this mess. My speech was solely about him.”

http://www.mighty1090.com/2015/07/2...e-allowed-to-speak-at-hall-of-fame-induction/

2. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Wow......the NFL has stooped to an all-time low with this stunt.
    What a bunch of f*cken bullsh*t. :poop::poop::poop::tdown::tdown::tdown:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Every time I think the NFL can sink no lower they keep at it. This is an absolute disgrace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Luckily for me, I passed the 1/2 century mark a couple of years back and the sport which I really loved with much zeal during my younger years, is making it easy for me to decouple from. As we get older, other priorities become more prevalent. Thank you to the NFL and the Chargers for making the decision very effortless for me to switch to a more pedestrian role ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Norval_Eugene_Turner

Norval_Eugene_Turner BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    We all thought that it would be dicey......BUT Roger GODdell and the League can make it better. I'll put some pressure where I can. Junior is deserving of having a posthumous, respectful acceptance WITH his family THERE and giving their take. The League is worried about the concussion/settlement BS. Unfortunate for US Chargers fans.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    The NFL going "hipster" these last few years is so nauseating to us old school fans.

7. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    tmp_28087-FB_IMG_1437831007071-1255721671.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Our GM can't take two steps without tripping over himself and this is what has your juices going?!

First, the league has stated that it has adopted a new policy (since 2010) regarding posthumous inductions due to speeches repeating material contained in extended videos played in the honor of the deceased inductee. So, an innocent reason is asserted for the policy that has nothing to do with the CTE lawsuit.

Second, let's suppose that the NFL's stated reason for its action is pure horse manure. So what?! It is entirely understandable that a host of any kind is not going to give control of a live microphone at his/her/its event to someone whose conduct has been harmful to the interests of the host. "And now let's listen to a few words from the people who are suing us!"

For goodness sake, if I were Goodell and somebody at the Hall of Fame took that approach, that person would be fired and his/her locker would be cleaned out before Seau's daughter had concluded her remarks.

If you want someone to honor your deceased family member, you might try not suing that someone.

And to be clear, that has nothing to do with the merit or lack thereof of the lawsuit. A person suing another may have every right to do so and may be 100% correct in the legal theory being asserted, but sometimes a relationship or relationships are lost in the process and tough choices have to made about what needs to be prioritized.

Anyway, I see this as a non-story or a story on the level of "Goodell spotted eating breakfast this morning."

Now, could we please sign Weddle and get more DL players that can stop the run?

• Old Old x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    ChainCrusher, you have officially earned yourself the coveted Troll status. I had often wondered if you had a cousin named Oz. I think that you satisfied my curiosity!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It was Junior's wish for his daughter Sidney to speak if he was ever elected to the HOF. But let's ignore the wishes of the man that they claim they're honoring, and adhere to some arbitrary rule they made up a few years ago to save time. After all, what's more important? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Read the "lawyer Talk" ;)

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    haha Blitzmeister. Do you have to be over 50 years old not to give a fark about what Sydney has to say? If so count me in!

The legend of Oz lives on. Do not falsely praise ChainCrusher. Do not sign Weddle. Do not collect $200.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Glad to see you back stranger :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Nah. That ain't Oz. Though I have no doubt that Chainlicker was booted off another site and ended up here.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Have you recovered from last night's Lions meltdown? Still can't believe they lost.

17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Maybe from TX State Bar? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Carlsbad, you don't need to quote my post to speak about yourself as you did in your post.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I see. I must be a troll if I take a different position than you do. Is that pretty much it? My view is that this Seau business is an unimportant non-issue. Who cares?! Seau might have wanted things a certain way, but he is gone now. And a smart host does not allow a party the chance to harm its event or it. That's how I see it and it doesn't make me a troll. Got it?!

How can some of you guys get your panties in such a twist over this non-issue and yet seem perfectly fine when the team looks like it might have some real issues such as whether or not Fluker will do better if he is going to stay at RT, what can be done with the DL to get better against the run, the lack of quality depth at OLB and RB (especially with D. Brown somehow still on the roster and Mathews somehow gone (although I am sure Philly thanks us for helping to give them what ESPN calls one of the top 5 offensive position groups in the entire NFL), the contract situations of Rivers and Weddle, whether or not we should keep Gates, et cetera? These are some of the real issues.

20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    What "lawyer talk" are you discussing? You don't need to be a lawyer to have enough common sense to recognize that if you sue someone, that might have a chilling effect on your relationship with that person or business and the person or business being sued may not treat you as favorably as they otherwise would have in the absence of the lawsuit.

That's why the NFL taking a harder line with the Seau family is not really a surprise at all.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Don't go bringing me into this! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I have no issue with you not favoring the stated new rule.

Frankly, I also have no issue with the NFL deliberately not providing a platform to the Seau family who is suing the NFL. That result makes perfect sense to me.

As for Seau, he's gone, so we are only talking about how the decision will impact the emotional well being of the family. My hope is that their legal representative anticipated this kind of issue (chill from the NFL) and discussed it with them before they decided to file a lawsuit.

Sometimes a person may have a good chance at prevailing in a legal action, but that person may have other reasons not to proceed that the person thinks are more important than whatever the person hopes to accomplish via the legal action. Because this situation is biting the Seau family now, I hope their choice to sue the NFL was an informed one.

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Except that I didn't ask Carlsbad what I am. Why would I? If past history is any indication, the response is too likely to be wrong for me to put any stock into such a response.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The NFL is being petty, and so is the HOF. Wait until the movie Concussion comes out.... then they'll have something bigger to try to handle. Protect the shield, not the players...... We get it. Just a bunch of self-entitled owners covering their backsides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    While I can't rule out the pettiness that you suggest, I see it as more of a pragmatic approach by the NFL. It does not necessarily have to be petty on the NFL's part. They are taking a practical and safe approach to prevent something from being said during Seau's induction from the main microphone.

Not that I have a great deal of sympathy for the owners, but if I had a significant stake in a multi-billion dollar industry, I would probably dedicate a considerable effort to the protection of that stake, so I can't totally fault them for taking a CYA approach.

I was not even aware of the movie Concussion until you mentioned it. I read a little on it. It sounds kind of sad and it's apparently being released on Christmas day.

27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    That was fargin' awful. That football game is going to bother me until the playoffs... (assuming BC makes it, and beyond if they don't).

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    You are such a pompous, myopic bookyak, you can't POSSIBLY BELIEVE that others want to comment on something else? All we see is you piss, b!tch and moan about EVERYTHING. Those of us who are adults know that certain aspects of the team will play themselves out. This thread isn't about THOSE ASPECTS. It's about honoring a Charger Hall Of Famer.

STILL you try and hijack the thread. Classy, REAL CLASSY.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    To some of us, tradition is very important. Maybe it is an age factor. This thread is clearly about Seau and how the NFL has shunted his daughter to present him posthumously (as he apparently had wished) while the other 4 (albeit alive Hof'ers) are being presented by someone of their own choosing. This is the essence of this discussion thread!

You on the other hand, use every thread as an opportunity to raise issues which you have somehow made yourself a an imaginary active party too! You came on this thread with your guns blazing toward Telesco and used this platform yet again, as you do ever so incessantly and nauseatingly to highlight what a buffoon Tom Telesco is. The sheer fact that you hijack every thread to pile on your points ad nauseam makes you a TROLL. On top of that you brought that up in the most uncouth manner, belittling a much loved Chargers icon's family (there haven't been too many of them lately, have there?) because of their law suit against NFL! Totally devoid of any empathy and sympathy like you were representing the NFL as their counsel on this matter!

In parting ways, I can't resist by saying this: Farg Ryan Mathews and his top 5 offensive prowess which he magically brings to Philly and whilst we are at it, Farg you too :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Anyone else feel the love in here? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1