1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just a coincidence?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    First :
    What a ridiculous rule that we where deprived of watching a great 11-5 patriots team in the playoffs and instead got the undeserving Chargers team. THE RULE MUST BE CHANGED!

Second :
    What a ridiculous rule that we where deprived of watching the MVP play in overtime and a coin flip decided the game (never mind that if the colts defense had held precious Manning would
    have gotten the ball back). THE RULE MUST BE CHANGED!

I don't think we would have had this much outraged if Rivers had not gotten the ball in overtime, I get the feeling that we would be reading about how Manning won this playoff game in OT

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    It is what it is. ON TO PITTSBURGH!!! :yes:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Talking heads will always cry when their precious little darlings get slighted in some way (in their minds).

Fuk 'em.

4. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Let them cry, I love it.

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

This are really crazy firsts and seconds.

rules are to be called before the playing starts.
    So everyone knows how to play and what to look for.
    It's possible to change rules after considering the pros and contras.

to first: Yes there is a possibility, not to play in 4 divisions
    but in a conferencial system, so that the teams with the best record will go to the playoffs. But this will change the interest in playing strong in a lot of ways. I say I don't want this change.

to second: Yes this item has been discussed a thousand times. Other games as college have other rules. I predict:
    This NFL rule will be changed in the next 7 years. There will be drives for both teams before sudden death so a team can answer a FG or TD.

But this year the rules have been in favor of San Diego and
    I never will held my head down because of these crazy opinions. word.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree that it would suck to finish 11-5 and not make the playoffs as another team gets in at 8-8 but that the way it goes.

No, it must not be changed. Because at least one team from each division must be in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, after all, let's not mention that Manning had the ball on three possessions in the 4th quarter and failed to score. He failed to even reach the Chargers' 45 yard line.

One more score in regulation for the Colts and they win.

But, no, let's (meaning the media whores) complain that Manning didn't get the ball in OT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If you want to make the Playoffs, win your division.

If you dont want lose in overtime because you never touched the ball, dont let it get to overtime to begin with, win it in normal time.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Two sentences that don't compute for the failers and wailers.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

If you want to make the Playoffs, win your division, it's that simple.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's a given. Though it would suck to be 11-5 and it not being enough but that's the way it goes.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    As far as overtime is concerned, though the college system makes for some thrilling games, Boise St. beating OU in the Fiesta Bowl, it's not as good as the NFL's. Sudden death really evens everything out. Both teams have an equal shot at the first possession and then they have to execute or the defense has to to hold strong. It's that simple. And just ask Donovan McNabb, defenses can and will step up in overtime.

13. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    from Peter King

I think the Chargers had to do a little more than just win a coin flip, if I'm not mistaken they actually had to drive down and score.

14. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I support changing the overtime rule. Its not whining. No rule change will go back and change past results. But rule changes do occur when it appears to a majority of people the system doesn't work in an ideal manner. That is why we have the now have the red flags and review system among other changes.

Overtime rule - The vast majority of the time the team that wins the coin toss wins the game. That is not how games should be decided. My proposal - the team that receives the ball on their first possession is not allowed to kick a field goal.

Playoff seeding - Despite an 11-5 team sitting home and an 8-8 team hosting a playoff game I am okay with the system. Right now this seems just to be a weird abdominally, if it becomes a frequent occurrence it may need to be looked at a later date. However,

Draft order - A team should NOT get rewarded with both a home playoff game and a draft pick in the mid teens. While a team that does not make a the playoffs picks in the 20s.

32- sb winner
    31 - sb loser
    29-30 AFCCG/NFCCG losers
    25-28 losers on division weekend
    21-24 losers on wildcard weekend
    1-20 non-playoff teams

Following year schedule If a wildcard team advances further than the division winner in the postseason then, the wildcard team should have the harder schedule the following year. E.g. based on 2007 results Giants should have had to play the #1 spot and the Cowboys the #2 spot.

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The thing I disagree about the not trying a field goal is this. An if thing. It is 4th down on the 10 yard line going in on the opponents 10 Yard line. Do you want the punting unit to come in and punt the ball away or do you want to force the team with the 4th down to go for it?

In my opinion that is just not right.

Now for this. I disagree one more time. If a team on a consistent basis keeps on only getting in with lets say a 6 - 10 record is the best record in their division and in their division is very weak. Versus a consistent team which is maybe third in their Division with a record of 7 - 9. The 7 -9 record should go into the Playoffs because of the record. I do not like that what so ever.

That means then only the best Records get into the Playoffs and the rest just sit home. It also could mean that a whole division would be able to go like a 4th place ( last place ) team with say like a 10 - 6 record would go into the Playoffs. If that last place team has the best record on a consistent basis for the last spot in the Playoffs. In my opinion is definitely not good. It should be regardless the best in each division. Not maybe a last place team in a division going into the Playoffs. I would not want to see that.

16. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I heard that only 30 percent of the winners of the coin toss have won the game on the first drive!

That means there are 70 percent better defenses than Indy's that night!

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    How can the Colts pick heads? Everyone knows that "tails never fails."

18. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Well if you are 4th and goal on the 10 yard line and can't kick a FG you are going to go for it, not punt it. And if you don't make it the other team is going to take over with horrible field position. The problem with the current set up is if a team can get one or two first downs they are in FG range.

As for changing the playoffs. My comment is if it occurs on a regular basis it should be looked at in the future. And what that change would be would be based on what is occurring over several years. That is another way of saying "don't change it (for 2009)"!

19. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    During the regular season this year:

first possession = 47%

Team that received but did not score on first possession won an additional 27%

Total wins for teams that had the first overtime possession this past regular season: 73%

One game was a tie = 7%

The team that did not receive the ball first in overtime went on to win the game 20%

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree with this but. Another if thing. after a 4th down with the first team and a punt is made the other team gets it, they can not go in for the score of a touchdown and they have to punt even though it is in Field Goal range of their Field Goal Kicker, are they not allowed to Kick that Field Goal for the win? That is another way I understood your first post as if a team must score a TD for them to win in OT.

21. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I have seen some folks suggest no FG whatsoever in OT. That is not my suggestion. (although I would be fine with that)

My proposal is once there is a change of possession either team can kick a FG to win the game. Basically my problem with OT is it is too easy to get within FG range on the first possession.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I say.....Just leave it alone! :yes:

I'm tired of the NFL messing up the game that I fell in love with 40yrs. ago!

:SDC:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Leave OT alone. Its called Sudden DEATH overtime for a freaking reason.

NFL is where the men play, if want equal ups, then go play that ***** baseball game.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    let's make it a FG kicking contest (just like soccer :icon_tease: :tdown:)

I would only suggest a small change: kickoff from the 35 to start the OT, that way the team that gets the ball would probably start at their 20, no 2-3 first downs to get in FG range, the would have to go 50+ yards

25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times we have been in the same position you are in over the years. I know it seems like the Chargers have always been the best team in the NFL.......:lol:

Leave it alone. The system works. It's a game of do or die. No mulligans. No "do-overs".

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Someone who had the numbers said that 30% of the time the team that wins the coin toss goes down and scores. So, more than two thirds of the time both teams get to touch the ball.

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Well, except for Week 2 of this season. :lol:

28. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    All I've heard from the pundits is that the refs screwed the Colts by calling obvious penalties in overtime, that the overtime rule is unfair and should be changed, and that the seeding needs to be changed because it wasn't fair for the Colts to have to go on the road.......

Don't worry, I expect that Polian will have either the seeding or overtime rule changed this offseason.

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The coin flip has gone urban myth. The coin toss winner only gets the first score about a third of the time. Considering how many games are decided on fluke bounces or on what side of the bed the ref got up on, this is not a real earth shaking issue for me.

30. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Actually this year it was half (if you include the post-season) of the time the team that wins the coin toss scores on the first possession.

30% is based on what the stat was back before the kickoff location was moved and teams started with the great field position they have now.