1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

just a head up on who might be cut from each team

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Feb 17, 2014.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    No mention of Clary's $6.25 million salary?.......... odd. ;)

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    yea i thought that was strange to . but i found this and thought it was informative

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Yeah saw this too. Clary, Royal and McClain are defo cuts. Hardwick might simply retire, if we don't get Alex Mack (and Hardwick chooses to continue) then bringing him back on $6m might just be acceptable. But if you are TT and choice is longterm Mack or Hardwick at $6m for 1 yr, no brainer for me.

I think they might ask Weddle to restructure too.

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    I remember last year that Weddle said he would be open to a restructure if needed.

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Not having Clary in the playoffs against the Donks hurt us. I'm just saying.....

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Not having a real backup RB hurt us even more. We had too many holes last year to be a true contender. Did mighty well despite that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Maybe he's NOT considered a big enough name to even consider ? ........ Or maybe the writer fainted when he seen his salary and hasn't come out of his coma yet ? :whistling:

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
  11. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    It must be hard to be a good run blocking RT when you play RG. :D

12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    I wouldn't mind seeing Clary return to compete for the RG slot as long is it was at RG pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Restructuring Weddle really doesn't gain us a ton of cap space because he only has one more year left on his contract. The only way we're "restructuring" him is if we also extend him to give us more years to defer the cap-hit from monies over. That's where I'm not sure people quite understand how a restructure works - it's not a pure "pay-cut," it's just shifting around the schedule at which the cap-hit is applied. Players very, very rarely take voluntary pay-cuts, unless they're getting some kind of other major concession.

Also, if Hardwick is released or retires, we don't save $6m against the cap (the prorated $1.75m portion of his $5.25m signing bonus remains on the books as dead money), it's actually closer to $4.4m - and we're not getting Alex Mack for that. We wouldn't be getting Alex Mack for even a $6m/yr average - that's below Top 5 position money for centers in the league... for a perennial Pro Bowl center. Mack's going to get a contract that averages at least $7.5m annually, quite possibly more.

I understand "the want," but I think people need to reside themselves to the notion that we're not going to be signing top-tier free agents - not this year and, I would wager, not even next season when we have considerably more available cap-space at our disposal unless a phenomenal opportunity comes along. It's simply not a philosophy that TT or the guys he came up under subscribe to. They build through the draft, supplement short-term with middle-tier free agents (and based off the way TT structured Cox's contract for example, he leaves himself a "way out" plan in the event things don't work out or the guy is no longer needed at his price).

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Yeah there are no positives from losing Hardwick at this point. Cutting Clary, Royal, McClain and Freeney + the cap increase (rumor is around $130M) should make plenty of space to re-sign Butler and Rinehart and stitch up some roster wounds with mid level FAs again. And if we're still tight a restructure of Rivers' deal seems more likely and potentially effective than Weddle, as long as they don't mind extending him or promising more guaranteed money later...and I can't imagine there'd be an issue with that as he is the primary meal ticket.

I don't see any big name FAs coming in though, it's not the way Telesco wants to work.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I know we talked about this before, but our current cap situation, we need Rivers to take a deal Brady took last year. Obvious age differences between the 2, but I wouldn't mind handing Phil an extended 3 years to 2018, which would make it a 5 year deal worth up to $75M and $35M in signing bonus.

I would love to re-sign Butler and Stuckey, and a NT, OLB, and WR in free agency, and then land Vontae Davis. Unlikely to happen, but it would eliminate a need in the draft, and we could possibly stash Aaron Colvin for a year, see how Derek Cox plays out in 2014.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Rivers could be done fairly easily - just depends on how amenable he is. We do a site-wide offseason mock on my site (it's in the early stage of kicking off right now) and the deal I proposed for the Chargers to offer Philip is based off the Brady deal, actually pays Phil $5 mill in signing bonus, frees up around $6 million in 2014, does negligible impact the 2015 cap-space available (at which point we'll be trying to re-up Liuget, Mathews, and Weddle, and then some), and still doesn't leave us eating more than $6-7m/yr in dead-money if Rivers retires at 35 or older. It's doable... Spanos just has to be willing to cough up $50 million or thereabouts in one year.

17. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
  18. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    As much as I like Addae, we need to make a move to get Sam Shields.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Why would one exclude the other? They play entirely different positions. That said, even with the cap increase, I don't foresee us being major players for "name" free agents. And after getting burned by Derek Cox, I wouldn't be shocked if Telesco is a little bit gun-shy about venturing into the free agent market for a CB again.

20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,139
    Yes, let's just get every player cut from every team. (Except for Okeland, of course...)

• Like Like x 1
  21. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    He just inked a 4 year deal ($39 mm) with the Packers.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    And sadly, just raised the price for the Chargers getting a CB via free agency.

23. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    • Like Like x 1
  24. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Antonio Cromartie coming back to the Bolts?? He's being cut by the Jets. Would we want him back?

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    He would bring a level of talent at CB that isn't there right now, but I doubt the Bolts would want to meet his price

26. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    In theory, if he was going cheap, he's still a very talented player.

In reality, he won't be going cheap, and I doubt we'd want him any more than he'd want to be here.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Cromartie was utterly terrible last year, think Shareece Wright minus the late season push.

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Besides the too-high price tag, I feel that Antonio was genuinely embarrassed in San Diego,
    as his irresponsible lifestyle unfolded in the press.

He made real and significant strides to be more of a grown-up the last few years,
    and I think returning to San Diego would probably be more difficult for him than any of the other 30 teams.

As far as on-field…obviously the right hip crippled his play in '13, and surgery is a real possibility…
    some GM will need to throw the dice, but it won't be Telescopo…

Edit: p.s.: I know the official story is that it was just a flexor strain (all of 2013) but history suggests that
    players--whose income depends on the impression that they're healthy--tend to err on the optimistic side

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,139
    I think not. And the San Diego School District will agree with this too, their schools are already overcrowded enough...

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    He's coming off of back to back pro bowl seasons, he's not exactly "terrible"