1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Just Curious ...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by dice, Sep 17, 2005.

?

Who is Chargers Franchise QB?

1. B. Philip Rivers

100.0%
  2. A. Drew Brees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dice

dice BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't been to your site, so forgive me if this is a topic that you guys are tired of discussing. I'm curious which QB do Chargers fan want to see as their franchise QB.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    I'll support which ever QB is back there, but if Brees has another strong season, then he definitely will be our QB of the future.

Dice you being a Phins fan, would you guys trade for Rivers?

3. dice

dice BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I really like Rivers. I love the fact that he is a huge fan of football (too many guys seem to lack his passion for the game), a student of the game, and was a VERY accurate passer in college. I think accuracy is possibly the most important attribute in a good QB. You can teach a QB to read defenses to some degree and help him in many ways, but I'm not sure that you can do much about accuracy. Much like trying to teach a RB to be an instinctive runner ... seems like you have it or you don't (to some degree anyways). Rivers has it.

All that said, I am not sure that Rivers is a good fit for Miami's new style of offense. Scott Linehan (Miami OC) likes to attack deep down the field, and I am not sure that is a strength for Rivers. While I have not seen a lot of Rivers, my impression is that he is probably better in the short and medium routes, where his acuracy is best. I don't believe that getting the ball down the field is a strength for Rivers.

Not trying to duck the question, I just don't know what to think. Do you find a QB that is the best fit for your OC? Or do you find the best possible QB and adapt your offense to the the strengths of your offensive talent?

4. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    OC come and go. A good QB will adapt to any offensive scheme. Rivers is accurate, but does have a strong arm as well. He hasn't had the opporunity to show case his deep throws here. But he can get rid of the ball quickly and with velocity.

River's arm is stronger than Brees, but the QB with the strongest arm in SD is Cleo Lemon our 3rd string QB.

5. ChargerBoy

ChargerBoy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Gee I wanted Brees to be the QB around here, but so far in the season he seems a little rusty, I really want him to do well, he's just not all there yet...

6. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    I want him Brees to succeed too, but he is looking like the Brees of old. That pick he threw to Baily really was the turning point of the game. Yes he was under pressure a lot, but his decision making skill are just not the same as last year.

In the 1st half he was very sharp, but man what a 360 in the 2nd half. Cameron as is to blame. We became too conservative after that INT. Why had off the ball to LT when there are 8 guys stacking the line? What happend to the audibles? Brees looked timid and could not get them team gong until they sustained that last drive to tie it at 17. He overthrew McCardell twice today on play action passes. He also should have done a better job recognizing the blitz on pass plays. Man this loss sucked! We had it won.

With all the offensive weapons we have, we should have scored more than 3 points in the 2nd half.