1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just Finished "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Anybody else read this book? I have to say I am a HUGE Helleno-phile, big fan of Roman History and greco-roman classic art.

I gotta say ***** stars on this book [got the HC for XMAS] if anybody else has a chance to pick this up, well worth it I believe the paperback is available now.

Thankfully living out here in LA Co. I get a chance to play around the Getty on Mulholland and the one in Malibu when it was open, although I think they are re-opening it or it has already.

Check it out. :tup:

Stan :rivers17:

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'll have to check it out. I'm finishing up "God save the Fan" and I highly recommend it to those interested in what's wrong with sports media. It is also a very humorous read. I'm tired, good night.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can we hijack this into a recommended reading thread? Sure there's an old one somewhere, but seems like this will work nicely. :yes:

4. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Suggest Reading

I was thinking of starting a new one after reading this one... but since you suggested a hi-jacking :icon_twisted:

Joshua - by Joseph F. Girzone... there is an entire series, someone gave me a set with 3 of them (this one, along with Joshua in the Holy Land and Joshua and the Children). They're well written... best sellers too. I particularly liked them because they're centered around views closer to mine than most. There are also some very good life lessons in them. They are from the Christian fiction genre. Finished them just before starting the book below.

If you're into SciFi (of the storytelling Asimov class) - just finished Treason by Orson Scott Card. He's a very good story telling author and is great bringing the characters in his stories to life. His writing, like Asimov's was, is focused more on the interactions of people than it is the sci-fi side of things. His Ender series was great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography, Clapton. Interesting if you like to hear about the seedier side of your rock'n'roll heroes' lives.

Not sure what's next. :icon_shrug: