1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just for Pointy ....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is Atogwe worth big money?
    Playmaking safety is now a FA, so who is buying?
    Matt Bowen
    June 02, 2010, 06:00 AM EST

The Rams’ O.J. Atogwe officially became a free agent at midnight, and now that the safety is on the market—at the rarest of times—I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of clubs make him some strong offers.

There are mixed reviews on Atogwe from people in the league that I talk to when it comes to placing a certain value on the veteran safety. We can’t deny his ability to make plays on the football, and that is ultimately what you pay for when it comes to free safeties in this league. Forget the ability to tackle in the open field or play with fundamentals—turnovers win games on defense.

And Atogwe has forced plenty of them in his career. In five seasons as a pro, the safety has 19 INTs and has forced 14 fumbles. Those a big numbers.

In my opinion, those are priceless. Look at a team like the Chicago Bears. You think making upgrades at the safety position was big for them this off-season? Of course, and that is what they drafted Major Wright from Florida and then went out and made the trade with Carolina for Chris Harris. We can say the same about the Chiefs, using the fifth overall pick in the draft on Tennessee’s Eric Berry.

Playmaking free safeties were once a luxury—but now they are becoming a necessity to a successful defense.

The flip side to Atogwe? Even with the amount of turnovers he has produced, he is coming off a down year when we look at his overall numbers and he is starting to get banged up. Will be come back in 2010 and still make plays? Does it matter that he be 29-years old when the season starts? Is he worth big money in June? Are previous injuries a concern?

Clubs who target Atogwe as a starting player in their defensive scheme will have to weigh those issues and count on the safety being able to stay on the field while making game changing plays.

If you listen to the rumors, the Cowboys, Dolphins and Vikings are the early favorites. Even the Lions and 49ers are in the discussion. Realistically, the Rams could still find a way to re-sign Atogwe, but if they couldn’t get it done yesterday, why now?

We know Dallas needs a free safety to complete that defense. I still see the Cowboys as having a championship level defense—minus the hole they have in the middle of the field. Miami doesn’t have a starter in place, and just like Dallas, plays in a pressure scheme that will ask a lot of the free safety when it comes to driving downhill on the football or making a play down the field.

Minnesota has been mentioned, and although they don’t pressure as much as a Dallas or a Miami, the safety position up north is average. There isn’t a playmaker right now at the safety spot for the Vikings, and just like Chicago, you still need a player who can show up in Cover 2, Cover 3 and in various zone blitzing schemes.

I like Atogwe’s game, and if you have the need for a safety—and the money to spend—then you go ahead and scoop him up. Forget the injuries, and forget the idea that the Rams just let a solid football walk into the free agent market.

Make a move—he will produce results.

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rather use the money to sign one of our RFA's.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I wish AJ would sign this guy to replace that sorry *** weddle

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Knew what this thread was about before I opened it.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Could Atogwe land in the AFC West?

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    6-3-2010

There’s not much available on the open market so the arrival of brand-spanking new free agent Oshiomogho Atogwe has to be met with some degree of intrigue here in early June.

The excitement needs to be tempered somewhat. Atogwe is a solid, not great player. The safety, who turns 29 this month, is not a defense-changing player. I don’t expect an AFC West team to become an obvious favorite to land Otogwe. The teams most mentioned as favorites to land him include Miami, Dallas, Minnesota and San Francisco.

I don’t think Denver and Oakland will become major players because they are both in decent shape at the position. Kansas City just drafted Eric Berry at No. 5 overall, but the Chiefs could look at Atogwe to further shore up the position. Still, that’s a long shot.

I think San Diego is Atogwe’s best bet of landing in the AFC West. But I wouldn’t say there’s a great chance of it happening.

There is a potential need at the position in San Diego. Second-year player Kevin Ellison, who started the final nine games of the season in 2009, was recently arrested for allegedly being in possession of a controlled substance. He was kept away from the team’s minicamp. The Chargers are giving fourth-round pick Darrell Stuckey a chance to emerge. But he is a rookie.

Atogwe certainly would be an upgrade for a team with serious postseason intentions. He’ll be tempting. However, the Chargers are very conservative in free agency, so a move like this would be a tad out of character.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Time to be a "tad out of character" and try to bring this guy in! We definitely need help at the safety position so AJ should at least ask what kind of $ he wants.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Imho I don't believe for one second we need someone like Atogwe. He wouldn't be enough of an upgrade over what we have already to justify the spend. Forget about him.