1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just heard a stat

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    IN the last 3 games, out of 49 carries, our RB's have gained 2 or less yards on over half of those carries (26 of 49). Is that because our RB's suck, or could it be the line and/or scheme/play calling?

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's because Sproles is our best fullback.

3. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Ryan Mathews has obviously lost a step.

I'd like AJ and Acee to answer that question in comparison to how they dogged LT out of this city. The CMB should eat some LT crow too.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LT wanted out and he dogged it to make that happen.

Would that be an answer that would satisfy you?

5. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    It is a bad stat. It probably came from some radio host who was trying to prove his own point and make it sound official because it has numbers attached. Here is an example of what I mean.

Over the same period Chris Johnson gained 2 yards or less on 52.2 % or his carries. He gained 1 yard or less on 40.6% of those carries. Stats can be used to prove whatever we want to prove. Using the same Chris Johnson wk 5-7 data I can also say he averaged 4.46 yards per carry (much more important stat), averaged 102 yards per game, averaged 23 carries per game (none of our RBs come close to this), and led his team to victory in all three games all while gaining less than two yards on over half of his carries. I have not looked at the numbers, but I would guess AP and most of the RBs in the league have a similar percentage of 2 yards or less plays.

The running game is typically not 4-5 yards per carry, but -1, 2, 3, 8, 2, 6, 2, 1, 15, etc. resulting in an average of 4.2 yards per carry which we would all be pretty happy with. I don't think our running game is performing that poorly, it simply is not being used.

I am not trying to attack you with this, I just hear the idiots on 1090 constantly throwing out stats to prove their points when half the information is useless 50% of the time.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    LT had his chance to get out the year prior if he wanted out. He could have said "NO, I am not re-negotiating my contract to save the team money", and he would have been cut. But he took a pay cut to stay here, and you think he dogged it so could force his way out? Are you kidding?

7. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Lightemup, LT was held to 2 or under on only 45% of his carries over the last three games. Better than the others, but what do we expect from the HOFer.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yes.

But the smilies suck here so everyone looks like they're serious all the time.

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    And he said the offensive scheme as well as the Oline contributed to that. ALL OF SD AND THE FO at CHARGER PARK ran him out of town and said HOW DARE YOU. Apparently he was 100% right about our scheme and OLine.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Get over LT. If he's performing like this in the playoffs... and gets a ring at the end... then you can come back and sling all the shiit you want at everyone who ran him out. But if he ends up with nothing in the end, then he basically becomes another old back who ended his career with another team. See: every old back who ended their career with another team.

11. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Pretty pathetic way to treat a HOF'r who gave us 9 years. He's the Tony Gwynn of football to San Diego and thats the commentary from some fans?? Truly amazing.

Last thing, I dont want LT back. I dont need to see him in a Chargers uni. I want the FO and dumbass fans to admit they were wrong. We've neither done better without him nor seen him suck somewhere else. Both prophecy's by the brand and it's followers.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]