1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just Say No - Players In Free Agency Or Released By Teams

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Okay, this is probably going to fill up pretty fast during the offseason. As some teams are releasing players throughout the league, it is inevitable that a BT member will ask a question or start a thread asking if it would be a good move by Bolts management to aquire the player in question. This thread is simply to sum up the player that is released, and to state that his services will most likely not be needed in San Diego.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Jacoby Jones. (Bal) No.

3. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Reggie Bush. (Det) No.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Raiders release Tyvon Branch? Interesting.

5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Falcons cut Stephen Jackson, um hell no! And Tyvon Branch played like 5 games in the last 2 to 3 years, gotta say no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Haaaaale no!

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Before I proceed with my snarky remark....are you saying that anybody who was cut by their former employer is not somebody the Chargers should sign? Or are you simply creating this thread as a means to state who we don't want?

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I'd sign home town Reggie for a home town deal. If we don't draft Melvin Gordon lol.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Actually he's been pretty malaise for them... and that's when he's actually fit to play, which hasn't been what I'd call consistent.

Given our team's predilection for getting themselves dinged up as is, I'd prefer to steer clear of guys who have shown to be injury prone.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I also prefer safetys who are tall, fast, strong, smart, and perfectly healthy as well. Let me know when you find one.;)

Sarcasm aside, I don't think this is the draft class where we finally aim high for a safety, and Gilchrist has played himself out of a job. After two injury destroyed seasons Branch will come cheap, and he's got Pro Bowl upside.

Considering Addae and Stuckey are the alternatives Branch might be worth a roll of the dice.

11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Free agent City of Carson......

Awwww Heeeeeeelllll to the No-No!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I'm all in for Branch. He could immediately help fill out our IR roster.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Two interesting guys that we could probably get for at or near the minimum.

Kendall Langford, released by the Rams is a 300 lb 29 year old run stopping D-lineman who could play opposite Liuget in our 3-4. I think his release mostly stems from his declining pass rush and the fact that STL's d-line is stacked beyond belief. Seems like a guy worth looking at because he's instantly better than anyone on our d-line besides Liuget (who's merely average against the run anyways).

Byron Bell, free agent RT from the Panthers reminds me a lot of King Dunlap. Could be another interesting reclamation project who could be had on the cheap. He obviously hasn't been impressive in Carolina, but he does have a lot of starts at RT where he's at least been average. Also he's just 26 so he could give us a short term solution at RT/RG depending on what happens with Fluker. I just feel like this is the type of O-lineman that Joe D can get the most out of.

Since Darnell Dockett just got released I feel like I'll mention his as a bonus. Obviously he doesn't really have a natural position in our defense, and would require us to pay out real money to get him. However, even coming off an ACL tear Dockett is still probably crazy talented. I'd hand him the same contract we gave Freeney two years ago and hope we got some production from him.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Dockett doesn't have a natural fit in our defense? Erm... Arizona ran a 2-gapping 3-4 that would on occasion lean towards a hybrid 4-3 Under. Minus the 2-gapping versus 1-gapping (and it's not like Dockett hasn't shown in the past that he can 1-gap), that's effectively the way we scheme our front-7.

I'd argue that Dockett fits our defense more naturally than Langford does. And Langford is definitely getting the grass-is-greener treatment here I believe.

The #1 rule to remember in Free Agency is don't buy based on names. That's the surest-fire way to get your team into trouble.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    One guy we should consider is C Rodney Hudson, WHEN he hits FA he will be the best C on the market by head and shoulders. He's only 27. It would allow us to move Watt back to LG, to cut Rinehart (saving over $3M in cap space), with the added bonus that it hurts the Chiefs.

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Say no to every guy BFTB thinks we should sign.. Literally every player released it's "Should the Chargers sign _____?" Just stop..

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Seriously? :p
    That's where we draw the line? :cool:

Dozens of "YouTube GMs" watching 94 seconds of an Iowan O-tackle's better blocks,
    rambling endlessly about how their "footwork won't work in D'Alessandris' system" :rolleyes:
    (okay, I wrecked the reference by actually spelling Joe's name correctly)
    or "at the NFL level at all"
    despite the real scouts loving the guy...rambling on 97.7% of the time about guys who
    will never play for the Chargers, and posting endless mock drafts that establish nothing
    more than that they do not understand how the actual NFL draft works...
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.40.50 AM.png
    This we have endless room for in this tent,
    but no room for "Should the Chargers sign _____?" ? :confused:

No offense, (I'm trying to be polite) just wondering where we're headed if we start saying (certain) pointless rambling isn't welcome...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The last person here who should have any opinions about the draft or free agents, is you.

Not having the balls or the insight to form an opinion of your own, does not make you better than the people who do, no matter how many times you say it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yes but...Docket has been horrendous against the run. At this point in his career he's a slightly better version of Kendall Reyes, who is arguably among the worst 34 DEs in the league.

I think both would be better off in a 4-3, JMO.

Ngata, if cut, is a different story. He's still a top 5-10 player at DE/NT

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  20. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I can't wait until Trent Richardson gets cut... ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Nice play Moses. You got a winner there!

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Eagles release Cary Williams

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Free agent KR/WR Jacoby Jones will visit the Chargers on Wednesday night.
    Jones has received plenty of interest since being released by the Ravens; this will be his third visit after previously meeting with the Bengals and Titans. In San Diego, 31-year-old (in July) Jones would be an upgrade as a punt return man over free agent Eddie Royal and allow Keenan Allen to focus on offense.

24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Jones = 31 y.o. return guy ≠ $$ and roster spot

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Being a KR and PR, as well as a competent receiver ensures he will find a job somewhere. If he can still run.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    So, CJ Spiller...

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd be very interested if he wernt so similar to Woodhead and Oliver. I think we need a grinder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

29. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    San Francisco offering michael wilhoitte in trade for a sixth or seventh rounder. Filled in inside with Willis and Bowman out last year. 87 tackles, 13 passes defended and 2 ints. 28 years old, for our sixth I'd be interested.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Saints cut Pierre Thomas, and are trying to trade ILB Curtis Lofton.

Apparently they are in major cap trouble.