1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Just wondering What you guys think/ does our lack of picking up free agents hurt this team?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Oct 17, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I have been wondering, a lot of teams fill out their rosters and bring in Vets to help their team.
    When we get free agents they usually are basement quality type. We don't go after Julius Pepper types. I think this has hurt the team. I think living on the cheap is hurting this team in the long run.
    We don't have to spend a boatload, but we should be more active and get some good players. You can't live on all your drafts alone. Especially when you have been whiffing with some of the picks. What do you all think? Would this team be better if we brought in more FA talent? It seems to help other teams, why not us? Thoughts?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm ok with this.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    AJ doesnt like free agents so guess what? We don't get free agents.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Yes, it does.

Plus AJ's abilities in the draft are looking more and more like a mirage every week.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't know, his last two drafts have been quite good IMHO, but yeah you need some better FAs Still let's not overlook Patrick Crayton, that was a heck of a pick up and it showed today.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    QFT

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I have a theory...

AJ doesn't go for many FA Veterans because he likes to mold rookies so that they get used to his way of doing things with regards to contracts etc.. A veteran FA has been around the traps and knows how things can work, and won't put up with AJ's tactics.

The FA that Aj does get are usually so happy to get on a team that they will tow the line no matter what!

Dare I say it...but was Archie Manning right all along?

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Yes 100%!! We don't need a team of FA's ala Jets, but a key FA here or there, would be good... Maybe even someone who performs on the field, and is boisterous??? {{{{{BLASPHEMY}}}}}

9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I think our lack of quality depth shows at times. Just think if we had a player
    like Julius Peppers. We would definatly have a pass rush. Thats just an example of course.
    We could beef up our o-line for sure. But they don't want to spend any cash.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Thats what i'm saying a few key veteran pieces. To shore up our weak areas.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Archie Manning didn't want his son to play for a loser, Archie Manning tells Chargers not to draft son Eli - that's why he said no to San Diego, not because of AJ Smith or negotiations

I don't think that's what your implying

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I'm starting to think you have a point there. AJ is starting to seem like a dictator in manner. I disliked all the distractions before the season.
    I know we can't be held hostage, but I think it could have been handled better. It really made him look like a bit too much of an ***. As for the Mannings they are asses. That was before AJ got the big head.

13. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15

Now it looks like he was right. AJ has to fill holes on this team with some FA's. How do some teams improve soo much from one year to another and we don't.

14. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    What makes the last two drafts good? I'm fine with giving a draft time to tell us its true colors... but I'm not seeing anything great at this point. Mathews may end up a stud, but even I saw we had multiple holes and AJ gave up two high picks to plug one hole.

I just think that two of the picks AJ has been most praised for were SM and AC, and neither has worked out long term for our team.