1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Justify Wins 2018 Kentucy Derby!

Discussion in 'All Other San Diego Sports' started by Gill Man, May 5, 2018.

1. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Oh well, had a GREAT YouTube video to show and it's now blocked due to copyright.

Justify is a CA horse, supposed to be extremely special and a once in a lifetime type horse. Is the first horse since Apollo, a 136 year old record, to have won the KY Derby and not raced as a 2yo. Undefeated this year and in all races so far. I hope we have another Triple Crown winner! GO JUSTIFY!!!!!!!

PS.....anyone with a video that works and isn't copyrighted please post. It was a GREAT race in a downpour and the wettest KY Derby ever. Mike Smith the legendary jockey won his second derby and ran a brilliant race keeping Justify at the front or in 2nd the whole way and staying out of the mud and clean. Outstanding!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,014
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +2,040
    Sign Justify up to kick for the Bolts.

4. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    the closest thing to the Bolts in that race was a horse Bolt d' Oro.....finished 12th. Typical. :D:abq1:

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +2,040
    I guess you could say Justify was a mudder...

6. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    no doubt. But probably is gonna smoke the field on a good track as well. You could see that horse from the start wanted to run. The big question before was could he take the pressure and the length of the race. That horse just is too good.....at the top of the turn once he turned it on it was all over. The mark of a great horse. Now he has to do it twice more....it's a tough haul with 3 huge races that close together but if any horse can do it Justify can. Impressive stuff. I had read the comments by observers, trainers, jockeys prior to the race and re: first encountering the horse. They mostly said they'd never seen anything like it. Jaw dropping impressive to those experts. Gonna be fun watching the next 2 races. Hope it happens. Always like a California horse to shock the horse racing world.

7. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +709
    Happy Mudder's Day

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    :tup::cool:

9. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    The thing that makes winning a Triple Crown REALLY tough is the horse that is trying to win it HAS to win 3 very grueling races all within a rather short time frame. So some of these laggards in the Kentucky Derby can skip the next leg of the Triple Crown and save up the energy for the last leg. It's really not fair but the rules allow it. It happend to a coupla horses IIRC in the last several years that were by far the best horses yet some 'cheater' decides to skip a race just so his horse can win the final leg and all that goes with that. I think Justify is good enough to weather that storm anyways. At least I'm hopeful. GO CALIFORNIA.

10. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    'There's no way': A behind-the-scenes look at the tense moments during Justify's Kentucky Derby victory
    [​IMG]
    Pat Forde
    Yahoo SportsMay 5, 2018, 7:02 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Bob Baffert stared at the TV screen on one side of Churchill Downs as the horses galloped around another side, navigating the far turn in a slanting rain that turned this Kentucky Derby into a quagmire. Everything hung in the balance.

Baffert was watching the Derby in the horseman’s lounge just off the paddock, wearing a clear plastic poncho over his suit as the day-long deluge continued outside. The noise in the room was escalating as the race reached its latter stages. Suddenly, the thoroughbred trainer’s voice rose above the din.

“C’mon,” Baffert said to the TV screen, “show me what a great horse you are.”

Justify showed him. Showed 157,813 soaked fans. Showed the entire sport and the entire world.

He is a great horse, perhaps on his way to becoming an immortal horse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View photos
    Justify and Mike Smith remained nearly dirt-free in their run to the roses in the 144th running of the Kentucky Derby. (NBC screenshot)
    It was the fifth Derby win for Baffert, second-most in history, giving him a legitimate argument to be considered the greatest American trainer of all-time. And this win immediately stokes anticipation for another Triple Crown bid. Baffert broke a 37-year Triple Crown drought three years ago with American Pharoah, and he regards the lightly raced Justify in the same category as the two best he’s ever trained, Pharoah and Arrogate.

“I was just in awe of that performance,” Baffert said. “He just put himself up there with the greats.”

What the colt overcame to win this race was substantial – from the history books to the elements to the pace. The so-called “Curse of Apollo” is dead at last, with Justify becoming the first horse since Apollo in 1882 to win the Derby without having raced as a 2-year-old. Any concerns about the sloppy track junking up the race and producing a fluke winner were discarded as well, despite hours of concern from Baffert as the downpour never subsided.

“I couldn’t believe the weather,” Baffert said. “I was not feeling great about it. I was preparing my wife [Jill] for a loss. We were ready to head out the gate the minute they hit the wire.”

But most of all, Justify, the 5-2 favorite going in, justified his hype by winning when lesser horses would have folded in the stretch, cooked by those stout early fractions. It takes tactical speed to win the Kentucky Derby, but too much front-end speed has been the demise of countless Derby runners who cannot sustain it in the stretch to finish 1¼ miles.

That’s why horsemen and horseplayers keenly watch the early Derby fractions when they are posted, using them to extrapolate how the race might end. Too quick too soon, and things can end badly.

When the first quarter mile was covered by speedball Promises Fulfilled in 22.24 seconds, that was a concern for the Justify camp. Their colt was sitting just off Promises Fullfilled’s shoulder at that point.

Watching the race in the same room with his brother, Bill Baffert saw that 22-second split and murmured at the TV, “Take it easy.” Ten feet away, Bob thought to himself, “He better be great.”

The half-mile split was more of the same: 45.77 seconds, with Justify still sitting just off the front runner. Baffert misread the number as 46, and his wife corrected him, shaking her head with her hands clasped in front of her face.

Baffert’s thought at that point: “This poor little horse. He’s going to lay down. There’s no way.”

In fact, Baffert and Smith both could be forgiven if they had a brief flashback at that point to the 2012 Derby. In that race, Smith took Baffert’s colt, Bodemeister, to the lead in strikingly similar times to what unfolded Saturday: 22.32 seconds for the quarter mile, 45.39 for the half. That day, the pace was unsustainable – Bodemeister was passed in the deep stretch by I’ll Have Another.

This time, Smith was on a horse that would not be caught in the run to the wire. Good Magic, who tracked Justify but couldn’t catch him, wobbled home a tired second.

“When my horse started rolling, I hoped [Justify] would get tired,” said Good Magic jockey Jose Ortiz. “But he didn’t.”

Said Smith: “To go 45 and still finish like he did was incredible.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    View photos

Before he’d even run a race, veteran Santa Anita Park clocker Gary Young called Darren Rogers of the Churchill Downs publicity department and told him he may have seen the Derby winner. Bill Baffert said he was present for Justify’s first workout, and remembered his brother’s appraisal afterward: “He’s a f***ing monster.”

The monster was finally unleashed in a race on Feb. 18 at Santa Anita, and he rolled to a 9½-length victory. Justify won an allowance race three weeks later on the same track – but this time in the mud, a key piece of track experience that might have helped him handle the bog he slogged through Saturday. When he backed that up four weeks later with an easy triumph in the Santa Anita Derby, the hype machine went into overdrive.

Justify arrived in Louisville as the clear favorite – but Baffert has been in that situation before and come away with a loss, and he wasn’t taking anything for granted. Especially against an accomplished array of competitors, considered the best Derby field in many years.

“This is the toughest bunch that I have ever been involved with,” Baffert said. “There’s some really good horses in there.”

But maybe only one great one. We’ll find out for sure in the coming weeks.

Justify may well have scared off a lot of Preakness competition. Baffert has dominated that race in the past, having won it six times (including all four of his previous Derby winners), and the group Justify just defeated here will have a lot of improving to do over the next two weeks. Even if Justify comes out of the Derby tired and regresses a bit, he could still be a winner in Baltimore.

The Belmont, of course, would be the hard part. Trainer Todd Pletcher hates running horses back off just two weeks’ rest, so he’s much more likely to give Saturday’s third-place finisher Audible some rest and point him toward the last leg of the Triple Crown on June 9 in New York. Other Derby entrants could well do the same.

American Pharoah was able to handle all of it three years ago, becoming just the 12th Triple Crown winner and establishing his place in history. Now here comes Justify, just the ninth undefeated Derby winner ever, looking like the next immortal horse.

“You know how I feel about his ability,” Smith said. “There’s no telling what this horse can do.”

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  11. captaind

captaind Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Ratings:
    +137
    Not to mention the length of the Belmont makes it especially difficult. I’m not fond of the horses that skip a race, either.

Thought Justify was impressive considering they had three inches of rain yesterday. They obviously felt they had to get out front early. I wasn’t sure he was going to stay at the front of the pack the whole way, but he did.

12. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    yeah, ALREADY onwers/trainers who just got stomped in the Derby are admitting they are gonna skip a race. :rolleyes: But that's really what ends up weeding out the great horses from the legendary horses that win a Triple Crown. We'll soon know whether Justify fits the legendary category. By all appearances thus far he does, and I love the historical perspective in that article I just posted above "There's No Way".......if you read the comments from folks in the know who saw the horse before he ever ran a race, well he's just that special. He's living up to that hype thus far. And yeah the Belmont is a killer. The last brutal leg of the Triple Crown. This horse will be tested to the limits as all Triple Crown winners are.

Can't remember the name of the horse the year before American Pharoah won the Triple Crown but he was another with huge hype and expected to join the legends. Then after the Belmont and the disappointment the owner/trainer were crying about the horses that skipped the Preakness in order to knock off their horse. Happens a lot. I'm not sure but I think some of those horses in the Belmont that year didn't even run the Derby either so they were totally fresh. Doesn't seem exactly fair but hey if a horse can overcome that you know it's legendary. Hope Justify is gonna be the latest greatest. If he does it he'll be at the top of the list of all time greats....simply because he broke that curse of Apollo and won the Derby never racing as a 2yo. He'll probably become the 2nd horse in history to win the Triple Crown never having raced as a 2yo. Impressive and historical if it happens. It's what makes this year really special now going forward into the next 2 legs. I'm gonna be watching really closely.

Maybe if we're really lucky that horse wins the Crown and still races like Pharoah did and maybe he comes to Del Mar!!! Sometimes though they just retire em after that and rake in record stud fees from there on out. Might be the smartest business move.

13. captaind

Ratings:
    +137
    Won in three inches of rain.

Won in three inches of fog.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +741
    If get a chance see this movie.

In 1940, Seabiscuit would finally win the one race that eluded him.

The Santa Anita handicap, a race worth $125,000 and called “the Hundred Grander,” has been the nemesis of Seabiscuit. He’d come close to winning it in the past, but never crossed in first. After losing his first comeback race after the injury, it seemed like 1940 would be a repeat of the past. After being blocked from the start and trapped in third near the end of the race, Pollard brought Seabiscuit between the leaders and surged into the leading, winning by a length and a half over his stablemate Kayak II. The win was so thrilling for the onlookers that they stormed the track, making it impossible for anyone to reach the winner’s enclosure.

15. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    What a horse! 2 down and 1 to go. I hope he does it. CA horse. They KNEW he was very special and he's proving it and doing it thus far in historic fashion never having raced as a 2 yo. Unbelievable. This race was closer but when it counted down the stretch he just put it in high gear , got out by a half length and kept it there beating off any challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    yeah loved that movie:tup:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,983
    who really fawking cares?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Hey, come to think of it, maybe you just came up with a great name for the future SD pro football team.....the San Diego Seabiscuits. Fits in with Del Mar Racing. Fits in with the sportfishing and sailing and yachting industries here. Perfet. Also fits it with the 'small guy' 'small city' that was given up on only to prove everyone wrong in the end. Dick Spanos can call his team the LA Admirals. FUDEAN.

19. Concudan

Concudan Meh... Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,581
    Seabiscuits... Isn't that what the sea lions at La Jolla leave floating in the water?

20. captaind

Ratings:
    +137
    Wire to wire. Unreal.

21. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +709

Justified!