1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jyles Who? Chargers play on without ‘Lights Out’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Cutler provides Tucker with motivation

Link

Not much, but Tucker will hear about, and I would guess that Cu-n-tler might know who he is after Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

Let's hope so.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

What a baby back b*tch. I hope tuckers heres this and destroys ****ler. Hopefully this will get him motivated for not only the game but the whole season.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

Dude! Over at the F2FA Bronco equivalent I was warned for calling him C-u-ntler and then re-warned for calling them Donkies. Whatever the pass rush is gonna be vicious. I hope ****ler doesn't mind the taste of dirt.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Not many people (who are not Chargers fans) know who Tucker is but this is his chance to make himself known!!! :yes:

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583

It has to be, and it BETTER be this game.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-nomerriman&prov=ap&type=lgns

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler was on a conference call with San Diego reporters Wednesday when the subject veered from the injured Shawne Merriman to one of his backups, Jyles Tucker.

“Who?” Cutler said.

Jyles Tucker, it was repeated.

“Nothing,” Cutler replied.

It turns out Cutler does know a little bit about Tucker, who’s played in only seven regular-season games for the San Diego Chargers in his two-year NFL career. Tucker will be asked to help fill the chasm left when Merriman told the Chargers on Tuesday that he will have surgery on two torn ligaments in his left knee.

“Didn’t he just sign a new deal?” Cutler said about Tucker, who indeed was given a five-year contract extension late last month—despite his limited experience—as uncertainty surrounded Merriman’s situation.

“He’s going to come out and want to fill the role that Merriman had. I don’t know if he’s going be able to play at that high level right away, but he’s definitely going to make some plays for them.”

Tucker didn’t seem to care that Cutler doesn’t know who he is. Perhaps the two will meet up Sunday, when the two-time defending AFC West champion Chargers play their first division game, at Denver.

“That’s cool,” Tucker said. “As long as we win the game, that’s all that matters. It’s not about me, it’s about winning the game and getting to the championship. That’s all that matters.”

The Chargers were upset 26-24 by the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, then found out two days later that they’ll be without Merriman for the rest of the season. Merriman was placed on injured reserve on Wednesday. The team said it didn’t know when he’ll have surgery.

Merriman had an NFL-high 39 1/2 sacks in the past three seasons and played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Nicknamed “Lights Out” because of his punishing hits, the normally media-friendly Merriman remained mum for the second straight day. He didn’t return e-mails seeking comment, and a team spokesman said he wasn’t at Chargers Park.

An associate of Merriman’s said the linebacker probably wouldn’t talk until doing a radio show on Wednesday night. It’s believed that Merriman is paid for doing the show.

Late in training camp, Merriman said that the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee were torn.

He spent several days getting opinions from four doctors from outside the organization, all of whom recommended that he have surgery. But on Aug. 27, he announced that he was going to play.

Merriman had only two tackles on Sunday.

Coach Norv Turner said it was hard when he spoke with Merriman on Tuesday. Turner doesn’t think the linebacker will have any regrets about trying to play.

“He gave it a shot, he gave it a chance, and he found out that he’s not able to do what he is capable of doing,” Turner said.

“He’s a football player, and he’s as tough a guy, as good a competitor, as you’re going to be around,” the coach said. “There’s a reason he did what he did. He wanted to play. It’s hard on anyone when you get put in a position where you can’t do what you love to do. Obviously there’s a process he’s going to have to go through to get back on the field.”

Turner said the Chargers might fill Merriman’s spot by committee.

“We have a number of guys who’ve played there, have experience at outside backer, so we’re going to come up with the best group of guys, the best package,” he said. “We’re going to evaluate a lot of things this week and come up with a good plan.”

Said Tucker: “Everybody’s practicing and everybody’s going to play. That’s all I know about that.”

Tucker said the loss of Merriman “will have everybody more eager and willing to do what they’ve got to do, to try to win that championship, because everybody knows what he means to the team.”

The Chargers are also without inside linebacker Stephen Cooper, who was suspended by the NFL for the first four games this season for testing positive for a banned stimulant. Cooper led the Chargers with 179 tackles last season, when San Diego reached the conference championship game before losing 21-12 at New England.

Playing opposite Merriman, Shaun Phillips has been known as “The Other Guy.” He doesn’t expect any more attention now that Merriman is out.

“It ain’t about me. It’s about this team,” Phillips said. “As long as we keep the focus about this team, we’ll be OK.”

Phillips said Merriman was “a bit upset because his knee was hurting” after Sunday’s game.

But he added that the Chargers have a number of young, eager linebackers.

“It’s unfortunate, but the band must play,” Phillips said.

Notes

The Chargers elevated linebacker Antwan Applewhite from the practice squad to the active roster. … Two-time defending NFL rushing champion LaDainian Tomlinson didn’t practice but said a jammed right big toe shouldn’t keep him from playing Sunday. CB Antonio Cromartie (hip) and tackle Marcus McNeill (neck) also sat out, while TE Antonio Gates (hip) had limited participation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Certainly no better time than this Sunday. :tup:

I hope ****ler thinks the Invesco Field turf is mmmm-mmmmm good!! :lol:

9. Tned

Tned BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

I'm the admin over there. I'm not sure about the donkie thing, unless it was done outside the smack forum. We try and keep the non smack forum straight football talk, no mudslinging and stuff, where in smack people can call names, and such.

As to C-u-ntler, outside of our adult forum cursing isn't allowed, including doing things to circumvent the language filter.

The C word, in particular, whether used for Cutler (never heard that before lol) or in a more traditional way, is completely forbidden, as it is arguably the most offensive to women.

Bottom line, in our main football forums, we are all for good football talk, but reserve the names and smack for the smack forum.

10. Tned

Tned BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

Cutler isn't much of a trash talker. I watch his post game interviews and he is typically just kind of a folksy, matter of fact talker.

It might get Tucker fired up, but I doubt very much it was an attempt at smack, versus the reality that he didn't know who he was. I'm sure he will learn about him as they do their gameplanning, but as BOLTS4LIFE says, not many people outside of Charger fans know who Tucker is. I know I don't.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Welcome Tned. That's just some of us talking smack. We can call him whatever we want here in this forum, but lets tone it down on the Broncos board people. Tned came here in peace and I respect that. I myself didn't think the Cutler comment was a big deal, but hopefully JT can use it as motivation. Let's not troll and act like Faider fan on other boards people!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Come on. If you're the starting QB you know who your opponents are putting on the field. If you don't, you shouldn't be playing. If, by the very rare chance Cutler doesn't know who Tucker is, you certainly act like you know him anyway. But really, it doesn't bother me, it will just serve to motivate Tucker. Just like Marshall served to motivate our entire team last season.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

Excellent point :) No need to be rude to the classy fans.

As for Cutler and the "who?" comment - I tend to give these guys the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious they are being jerkfaces - Especially considering JT isn't exactly well known [Yet! :)]. That said, I am looking forward to the day when EVERYONE knows JT - it's on the horizon :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Well, then high time Tucker's name appears on his dance card for a proper introductions for the slam dancing contest.

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Yup RC. This is a good time TO make a name for himself! Cutler will then say after in the post game press conference, "I didn't know him before the game but I know him now (after 3 sacks)". THAT'S how you make a name for yourself! :bolt:

That said, with Marshall back and Royal a big threat at WR, we better get to Cutler or we're toast......:icon_eek:

16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

This should be his dance [​IMG]

:tup:

17. Tned

Tned BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

Aggieman has posted some great stuff, I just wanted to clarify what happened, as we are pretty strict on circumventing the word filter. More concerned with the impression we made. We love to talk with opposing fans, so I wanted to make sure he knew it was the language issue more than the mispelling of the name.

Anyway, back to the game. I am big time excited about this game. For those of us, like Cutler, who don't know this tucker guy, how will he do filling in for Merriman?

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

He was an undrafted FA, another AJ find out of Wake Forrest. He has a tremendous motor and skills and against the Raiders last year collected the AFC Defensive player of the week with 3 sacks and was a monster. Then again, it was the Raiders we're talking here. Nobody will be able to replace Merriman, for "Lights" is a special player with 39 sacks in 3 years. IMO I feel Merriman is Seau 2.0 as a good friend of mine always says. Question is, can Tucker perform at a high level all season? We're going to find out soon enough.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I sure hope we're still going to show up this Sunday, if not I'll be pissed. I hate quitters. :icon_evil:

20. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I think all our backups to merriman can equal that of merrimans performances. JT, Applewhite are no push overs. Just gotta perform.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    They've gotta be sent on actual blitzes by Cottrell, if we do this BS prevent thing again then we are screwed.

22. Tned

Tned BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The Broncos could be vulnerable to blitzing. If Nalen is out again this week, then none of the 5 linemen will be playing where they did last year.

LT Clady rookie (first start last year)
    LG Hamilton (missed all last year with concussion)
    C Wiegman (14 year veteran FA signed from Chiefs this offseason)
    RG Kuper (played LG for 11 games last)
    RT Harris (2nd year player, first start last week)

This is an O-line that really only has one Broncos veteran on it (Hamilton), but he missed all of last year with a concussion suffered in training camp.

So, it is a big unknow how they will handle blitzes and how the very young, inexperienced tackles will handle good pass rushes and blitzes. Also, the young tackles will likely be inconsistant.

Look for Daniel Graham (TE) to be in quite a bit acting like a 6th linemen, but he can only help out one of the young tackles.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

Good attitude. Someone has coached him well. You have got to know there is a little burning feeling inside him that want to ensure he introduces himself to Cutler on Sunday. Controlling that urge, focusing on the play not the hate, can only bring good things to Tucker and the Bolts.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Check this out... I am amazed Acee writes this, even if it is true;

The injury might make him cheaper -- for someone else. But I don't think so. I think he comes back next year, has double-digit sacks and gets big bucks when his contract is up here. Also want to clarify, money not the only reason he won't be back. They have Tucker, they have other players to sign and they wonder about Merriman's long-term commitment to maintaining his high level of play.

Merriman must be unhappy that publicly it appears someone on the Chargers staff thinks he is Shane Olivea. :icon_huh: