1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaeding chocker or what?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by P88F, Jan 7, 2008.

1. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I dont even want to bother with a write up but does this dude suck in the playoffs or what?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its spelled "choker."

But yes, he is.

God I hope it doesn't come down to his leg in Indy.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Mr. WideRight?

4. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    let hope not because if it does, he is going to take Ryan Leafs spot as the most hatted charger.

But hes a good kicker and a good kid so lets send some good vibes his way when he attempts his next kick :abq1: :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Nate Kaeding=Eric Parker X 3

6. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Notice the Pro Bowler Bironas missed his 2nd half FG going the same direction.....the wind was a factor on both misses, but Keadings obviously looked worse. He will be fine, I don't see him missing in a big spot indoors next week. He will get the monkey off his back as well like the Bolts did as a team yesterday. He is not 100%, but will come through anyway.

7. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I asked the same question in the game day thread. I don't know what to think about Nate. On one hand you have bad weather conditions (talking about the Jets miss) and his hurt plant leg (this game) so he does has a plausible excuse, but on the other hand both misses where in playoff games.

I don't know what to think of him :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

8. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I thought it was the wind, mostly. Like, his planted foot was pretty close to the ball - but I'm no kicker so I have no idea how that works out.

But, yeah, Bironas also missed his field goal in the same direction. That guy's a really good kicker, so I think it was the wind.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I am an ex-kicker, so I'll chime in here. Your plant foot really dictates where the ball will ultimately go.

Plant forward of the ball and it will push to the right (for a right-footed kicker), plant behind it will pull to the left.

Plant too close like Nate did yesterday and it works like a golf slice, since you are effectively mirroring an outside-in swing path. That's what caused the hard left-right action on the ball, moreso than the wind since it was kicked low.

10. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    we keep hearing that he'll be fine but thing is I don't see any reason to think that.

He had a pretty good regular season I'll give him that, but he isn't a good post season kicker and that's pretty much a fact backed up by his horrible play. It's not just my opinion.

That kick he missed was awful.

If we can just have him attempt fieldgoals no longer than 25 yards we'll be ok though.

11. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Good analysis. It was exactly like an outside in golf swing which causes the ball to slice from left to right.

I've had plenty of golf swings like that. :unsure:

12. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    if his other leg is bothering him that much not to do kick offs he shouldnt even be doing FG's, we cant risk not getting points on the board vs. the rest of the other teams in the playoffs thats for sure

13. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Haven't we all? :yes:

14. Justachargerfan

Justachargerfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Those who say that both Bironas and Kaeding misses were in the same direction are wrong, they were not! and look at the flags in the posts, there was no wind, they just missed.

I think Kaeding is no good until now in playoffs pressure kicks over 40yards, against Oakland he was kicking ok and he was supposed to be better this week, since he hit that ball it was a bad kick, a knuckler, very low.

Truth is he hasn't come trough in playoffs yet, hope he does in Indy!!

Go Chargers!!!

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    First, it’s hard to argue the opening post logic…He does miss in the playoffs. But, yesterday during the radio pre game, Hank Bauer eluded to Nate having a more severe injury then what we are hearing. He stated that he did not kick AT ALL during the week and that a secret source led Hank to believe that the injury was very serious. Hank would not comment further.

That first FG attempt was High Schoolesque.

16. rapscallion

rapscallion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    The problem is, who else is going to do it better? Raynor was let go from the Chiefs for a reason - his percentage was terrible. You would rather have him than Nate? Granted, he has had post-season kicking issues, but I still like the chances better with Kaeding.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The missed FG wasn't a game winning attempt, which means his detractors would have blown it off had he made it and I tried to use it as an example as him making one in the playoffs.

Doesn't seem quite fair to me.

He made one later in the game.

Let's save the criticism for if he misses another one with the game on the line.

Besides, just like is said about Rivers in the game day thread, it's pointless to say we should **** can the guy now....unless you want Rayner kicking the FGs?

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ask me again when we need a FG to win a playoff game.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I said earlier that in order to get that kind of spin his foot had to be moving more across the ball than through it. Thanks for backing that up with a kicker's view, BFDC. :tup:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Maybe he's a lefty...

...who wants to tell him? :icon_shrug:

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he's also injured and it was obvious he was in a hell of a lot of pain during the game

22. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Happy to help there sir! :yes:

23. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No he's a freakin soccer player.
    He's just wants someone to scream "GOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL" everytime he kicks the ball.

And its hard to lift your shirt over your head and slide in the grass when your wearing football pads.:icon_shrug:

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Injured my ***. If he is 'so' injured what the hell is he doing trying to kick FGs/taking a roster spot. Until Kaeding kicks a game winner when it really matters and repeats it again I don't rate him.

He can kick the 'no pressure' 30-45 yarders all day in the regular season but once it's primetime even the 35 yarders are proving beyond him nevermind anything longer than 45.

The camera was on him after he missed the kick, same goes for when he missed against the Jets in 04, his body language says 'jeeez I so don't wanna be here'.

I challenge you Nate, sit ur *** down if ur not healthy enough to kick a game winner else front up and kick the friggin thing through the posts. :tup:

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I was thinking the same thing. When I got home and got to see it on TV, it looked like when he planted, his foot slipped a bit and he got it too close to the ball. I would imagine it was the slick field more than the wind.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nice post. Maybe I can use this to roll fewer gutter balls, too.

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    My friends & I thought the same thing that Kaeding sucks in the clutch. WTF was that FG he missed, a wounded duck? I actually think Rayner should kick anything beyond 40 yards. Kaeding is good in the regular season but just tanks in the post season. I think he's still spooked from that 2004 miss against the Jets. I wish we look for another FG kicker in the draft to be honest with you.

28. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I have been iffy about the kid since day one, he just doesn't seem to have that "screw you I am going to make it swagger",maybe he makes the game to big for himself in pressure situations, and tries to hard, maybe thinks more than just acts, All in all I think we could do better at this spot but also know it could be a whole lot worst.

He went to the pro bowl for a reason and if you look at guys like Vineterri, who is super clutch; he missed a game winner here, so **** happens! Looks like he slipped; and shanked it, oh well stop acting like it was the game winner he missed; apples to apples; it was a gimme that went wrong same happened to Birronas... thankfully, we win end of story NEXT... the weather cant be a factor in IND and another week should diminish the injury excuse.

I think Kaeding is a big field goal away from getting his confidence where it needs to be, I believe that when the real clutch big chance is his way he can and will make it happen, ONE PLAY AT A TIME,
    right?

The only attempt he should care about is the next one... I think we will be fine... THE KID WILL COME THROUGH... :yes: One of the many aspects of our game that will need to be FLAWLESS, if indeed this is our year!

29. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    If he misses one more though screw him, NEXT make a trade next year or do whatever it takes to address the kicking same way we addressed the need for a WR. Bring in a big name and see how that works...