1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaeding Extends Range

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    From Chargers.com:

The NFL’s most accurate kicker of all-time wants to become even more effective by concentrating on field goals longer than 50 yards this offseason.

SAN DIEGO – Nate Kaeding is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, making 86.5 percent of his regular-season field goal attempts. The two-time Pro Bowler is ahead of former Colts and Cowboys kicker Mike Vanderjagt by percentage points.

That’s why it’s impressive that Kaeding appears capable of improving a good bit. He made all 12 field goal attempts during two open training camp practices staged at Qualcomm Stadium and is 3-of-3 this preseason, including a make of 53 yards against Dallas.

“This has been probably the best camp that I’ve (ever) had. Just the day-to-day consistency and everything,” Kaeding said. “That’s kind of what you want is to continue to get better and better and to improve. I’m feeling really comfortable out there. I just think it’s a natural carry-over from the good work I was able to put in this spring and summer.”

Last year, Kaeding made 23-of-28. Of the five misses, one occurred during a groin injury that forced him to miss three games. Three others came on tries of 50 yards or longer.
    “One of the good things about kicking is you have that immediate feedback,” Kaeding said. “After each year you kind of take an assessment of how the previous year went. You look at some things you’d like to improve upon.”

Entering his eighth season in the NFL, logic says it would be a challenge for Kaeding to improve physically. He’s already got first-team and second-team All-Pro seasons. But by focusing on extending his range, Kaeding enters the third preseason game even better than he was last year.
    Head Coach Norv Turner said he has no concerns about Kaeding’s range and said Kaeding always has been able to hit from distance, citing a 57-yarder in ’08 and a 52-yard game-winner in ’09.
    “His range has been outstanding (his entire career). He’s an outstanding kicker. He’s got great accuracy from all distances and I’ve got a lot of confidence in him,” Turner said.

Kaeding is 10-of-19 for his career on attempts of at least 50 yards, including 1-of-4 in 2010. He was far more accurate from that distance in training camp this year. Good health may be a factor, but Kaeding attributes it to focus.

“One of my points of emphasis over the offseason was working on those longer field goals. Just feeling more comfortable out there, kicking a lot more of them,” Kaeding said. “Just to be able to stretch that range out a little bit and gain a little more consistency from farther out. Statistically and naturally you’re going to miss more field goals the farther out you go. That’s just part of the game. But you also want to be able to make as many as you can.”

Kaeding kicked nothing but 50-plus yard field goals for three consecutive weeks this offseason, intending to continually challenge himself and get out of his comfort zone until he felt confident. Assuming status quo for the next two-and-a-half weeks, San Diego’s kicker will enter the regular season ready to blast some long field goals and take advantage of the new rule that places kickoffs on the 35-yard line.

BIZARRE STREAK: Opposing kickers have not missed a field goal against the Chargers in 26 consecutive games including preseason and the playoffs.

Dallas kicker Nick Folk missed a 42-yard field goal against San Diego on Dec. 13, 2009, the last miss against the Bolts.

Opponents are 29-of-29 in field goal attempts since, including 19 consecutive regular-season games without a miss, the longest current streak in the NFL. Before the 2010 season, the last team to not allow a missed field goal during an entire regular season was Miami in 2005.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Did he cure his fragile psyche as well?

That was especially for you, Doug. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Man,

The Chargers really do seem to be cursed sometimes. How is it that no kicker ever misses a field goal against them?

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Do I need to add the obvious?

5. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    It is my profound belief that kickers are crazy. There is an obvious physical/athletic skill required, but the majority of their success or non-success seems to be predicated on their head. Maybe I'm gonna start calling him "Little Train" (with apologies to Lionel James)..."I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!"

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Extenz????

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    You remember when Vinatieri missed that figgy against us? That was amazing.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I hope this is the year that Kaeding gets the gorilla off of his back and wins one in the playoffs.

I think if CD were to adopt him that would start the good juju flowing to counter the bad karma....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Although it doesn’t happen as often as we’d all like, we have benefitted from a well timed miss a few times, like that 29 yarder that Adam Vinatieri missed at Qualcomm that would've won that sloppy rain drenched game a few years ago, but most notably in our Superbowl season when then Dolphins kicker Pete Stoyanovich missed a 48 yarder at the gun that would’ve advanced Miami to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh the following weekend, but we went instead…we all know how that trip turned out! :bolt:

Stoyanovich “made up” for that gift a few seasons later, this time while kicking for Kansas City when he missed a late season field goal attempt against Seattle (when they were still in the AFC West) that would’ve beaten the Seahawks, and given San Diego the divisional crown.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Did anyone look at ESPN's player rankings? At kicker they have Kaeding ranked as the #1 kicker in all of football. No I'm not making that up

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He is during the regular season. He needs to shine in post season to get the gorilla off of his back.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    So he extended his range. That means he can kick it just past Doug's house, right?

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    From my porch.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I've always found it ironic that the one time Nate was nailz in a playoff game it turned out to be useless. (2007 AFC Championship Game)

15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I keep reading the title heading as "Nate Kaeding extends his rage." If only that were true, it would make for a more interesting read methinks.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    How about let's work on PLAYOFF ACCURACY YOU PIECE OF ****?!?!?!​

Ugggh I hate Kaeding.​

NEVER FORGET
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Adopt him.

18. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    I believe it is impossible to work on play0ff accuracy if you are not in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

He has more playoff experience than most kickers. How many years now have I been doing this? It is starting to get old even for me.

20. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Hard to believe this was the last time we were in the playoffs... ugh.

21. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    585 days have passed since Kaedings last playoff kick attempt. So, like I said, it's impossible to work on playoff accuracy if you are not in the playoffs.
    "I can't go make January field goals in August. I'm anxious to get in that situation again, to make some kicks at the end of the year. But that's not now." -Nate Kaeding

22. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I hope this guy hits a 50-yarder to win the Super Bowl. All would be forgiven.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    While I hope this comes true as well... about 30 seconds before his attempt I would be wishing we were up by 10 or more points and he didn't have to make it for us to win.

• Like Like x 1
  24. skyblue

skyblue Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    He won't miss any this year!

All our points will be from touchdowns!

I hope!

25. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I remember crying on the floor when he ruined our hopes. Yes i am a bitch I was crying. Maybe I should be a kicker.

26. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I was at the Jets game, he was kicking into my endzone. That game was all bad...

27. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +272
    this is one funny thread. Go Kaeding... go big helmet.

28. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341

Just because we didn’t win that game, it doesn’t make it useless by a long shot. We were playing an undefeated team on their turf, in less than ideal weather conditions with a Superbowl berth on the line and if Nate Kaeding misses any 1 of those 4 attempts, then it’s not a 2 point game in the 4th Quarter and still within reach for us. New England pulled away late, but if we had gotten some points from anyone else, it could’ve been a different result.

The following postseason Nate kicked the game tying field goal against the Colts that sent that game to overtime, making Sproles’ heroics possible and the next week, he converted on his only attempt in Pittsburgh, another playoff game and it still counts, even though we lost.

It’s bunk for people to only focus on Nate Kaeding’s postseason misses, and to deny or try to dismiss the numerous times that he has made kicks for us in playoff games, just because he has also had some soul crushing misses.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Kicks Accurately Except During Important NFL Games

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I didn't mean to say they were useless in a sense that they didn't help. I just meant that, in the end, they didn't amount to a win.

You're right about the one against the Colts that everyone conveniently forgets, though.