1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaeding moves past missed field goals in playoffs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour, 25 minutes ago
    8-3-2010

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Nate Kaeding(notes) knows he has no choice but to move forward.

It’s been a somewhat painful six months for Kaeding, who missed three field goal attempts in the San Diego Chargers’ embarrassing 17-14 playoff loss to the New York Jets.

They were hardly the only pratfalls that day for the one-and-done Chargers. Still, they were shocking because Kaeding, who made The Associated Press 2009 All-Pro team, is the NFL’s most accurate kicker of all time in the regular season.

Kaeding continues to take responsibility for the misses. He also plans to use training camp to try to learn from them.

“It made for an awful long offseason,” Kaeding said. “You get anxious to get back in here. The hardest thing is to kind of be patient right now, too, just focus on what you’ve got to do today, work on your game.

“As much as I want that first regular-season game to be tomorrow, it’s not for another month and a half. Shame on me if I don’t take the opportunity to get better this month and a half.”

Entering his seventh season, Kaeding has become the most accurate NFL kicker ever by making 87.2 percent of his regular-season field goal attempts—150 of 172.

He also has a streak of 63 straight field goals from 40 yards or less— again, in the regular season.

Having become so automatic, that’s what made his misses against the Jets so stunning.

Kaeding was wide left on a 36-yard try in the first quarter, sending murmurs through the crowd. With the Chargers leading 7-0, he was short from 57 yards as the first-half clock expired.

The third miss, wide right from 40 yards, came late in the fourth quarter with the Chargers trailing by 10 points. Jets coach Rex Ryan pumped his fist and smiled.

What made that miss stand out is that even though their face-plant was almost complete, the Chargers did score a touchdown with just more than two minutes left.

Unlike some of his teammates, Kaeding didn’t hide from the media that day.

He won’t shy away in August, either.

“I really feel like as bad as that game went, I picked up some lessons that next time I’m in a situation like that, it’s going to help me be successful,” Kaeding said.

“Obviously that’s just words right now and it doesn’t mean anything until you put the ball between the uprights, but I feel I took some valuable lessons and we’ll see how I apply them down the road.”

Kaeding knows kickers are going to miss field goals.

“The biggest thing for me was not being able to come back and make that last field goal,” he said. “I just felt like it was a thing where I didn’t respond to the first miss and I wasn’t able to come back and execute at the end, for a variety of reasons.

“It’s easy to say you can put the miss behind you and move on but I was unable to do that on that given day. That’s a lesson you learn from and the next time I miss in a game, just say, ‘Hey, no point sitting here thinking about it, let’s go move on and make the next one.’ “

Kaeding said he “just flat out missed the first one, which is going to happen every now and then. But you’ve got to come back and make your next opportunity. That was the disappointing thing for me, was not being able to do that.”

The misses were extra haunting for Kaeding because as a rookie, he was wide right from 40 yards on a wet field in overtime in a home playoff game against New York following the 2004 season. The Jets moved down the field and won it 20-17 on Doug Brien’s 28-yard field goal.

Quarterback Philip Rivers(notes), whose locker is next to Kaeding’s, is confident the kicker can bounce back.

“He’s dealing with it in the right way, you know—‘I can’t change it by telling everybody I’m working on it, I’ll just go out and keep going,’ ” said Rivers. “And much can be said about every one of us. He hasn’t played his best in the playoffs, I haven’t played my best, we all haven’t played our best, and that’s why we’ve lost.”

In eight career playoff games, Kaeding has made just 8 of 15 field goal attempts, or 53.3 percent.

Kaeding was voted to the Pro Bowl last season but injured his groin during the first practice.

“That was a bad ending to a bad couple of weeks,” he said. “It probably wasn’t the No. 1 place in the world I wanted to be at that given time after the playoff game, but I kind of arranged it in my mind, like ‘Let’s go down here and get back on the horse and start kicking again.’

“I went down there, jacked my leg up and then had to go through a few months of rehab. But this isn’t a business where you can sit there and feel sorry for yourself very long. So I just went back at it, got myself right and now it’s time to get ready for the season.”

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Go f*ck yourself Nate.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    All talk. There's no way he's ever going to be able to "move past" those misses.

Next season, Kaeding can come out and hit every single one of his field goals in the regular season. But if we're ever in a position where we absolutely need him to hit a field goal for us in a playoff game, we're screwed. No matter what he says or does until that time, when he goes up to kick a field goal in his next playoff game, he's going to think about how he screwed up against the Jets and it's going to get to him mentally.

4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Maybe Nate has moved past his missed field goals in the playoffs but I haven't... :icon_evil:

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't get me started again. :tdown:

6. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Nate the Great will raise again. :icon_tease:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Prove it, and prove it in the playoffs

I'll give him credit when he does something great but i won't until he makes them consistently in the playoffs

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Nate just go FVCK yourself.

I will start. The Chargers need a new Kicker for Feild Goals and either get one in Free Agency or Draft one. Just my opinion of course.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_banana:

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    :lol:

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    How many years have I been saying they need a new kicker? :icon_shrug:

I was considered insane back in the day. Maybe there is a chance that I am still an idiot savant? :lol:

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Lightning [​IMG]
    In eight career playoff games, Kaeding has made just 8 of 15 field goal attempts, or 53.3 percent.

We need a new kicker....... NOW

13. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Curiously omitted in these many critiques of our placekicker’s performance are the Charger playoff games following the 2007 & 2008 seasons, in which Nate Kaeding successfully made 6 consecutive field goal attempts in 3 different postseason games, two of them played on the road. The first 4 of that impressive streak were converted despite Nate nursing a broken plant leg, and the presence of another placekicker (Dave Rayner, currently Cincinnati’s kicker) on our roster.

This undiscussed streak of playoff excellence occurred after Kaeding’s well publicized struggles in his earlier postseason games, and I have absolutely no doubt that he will bounce back form this recent bad game as well.

Will he ever miss another playoff field goal attempt? – Probably, but he will undoubtedly make more of them as well, and might even win us a postseason game or more with one of his kicks. :yes:

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Im glad he's moved on because I know we haven't.....:icon_twisted:

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    2010 version of HollywoodLeo! :icon_rofl:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    When he makes a playoff FG we can discuss his moving past, until then

17. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Yeah, but we all know from recent history that if it is a short yardage kick or does not in itself win the game, than the Kaeding critics will simply dismiss it and claim that it does not count, just like they have with his numerous other successful postseason kicks. :helm1:

18. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    *Kaeding moves past missed field goals in playoffs*

Well I'm glad he has... because I haven't!

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Since the Chargers Drafted Nate. :lol:
    Hind site is 20/20 now and you are correct about Nate being a Great Choke Artist. :icon_toast:

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Word.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sounds to me like some of y'all need a drink or 12. He missed, game lost, time to move on and Nate is still with the team. Get over it because until further notice the fans are stuck with him.

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I had more than 12 and my mind has not changed. :icon_party:

We are not talking about 1 bad game. This is multiple playoff appearances.

24. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :yes:

25. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    As soon as he has some impact in a playoff game, I'll move on ..

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It doesn't matter what you, I or the turd in the toilet think. Until Norv or AJ have had enough, we as fans are stuck with him. You can whinelinson all you want and it isn't going to change a damn thing.

27. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm so relieved that he has been able to get over it for good. Now I'll have no worries when he comes on the field in the playoffs for that game winning kick.

:cussing2:

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    how do you know what the turd thinks?

:huh:

:flag:

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    THAT'S what I'm most upset about! :icon_twisted: Oh btw, somebody posted this on YouTube that I thought was hilarious.

K.A.E.D.I.N.G. (kicks *** except during important nfl games)

30. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I would classify accounting for all of our team‘s points scored in the 2007 AFC Championship Game at New England as “having some impact in a playoff game”...:tup: