1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

KC trades Tony G to Atlanta

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Apr 23, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    glad he's out of the division

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Matty Ice just lost his cool... in his pants...

[​IMG]

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Good trade for Atlanta. KC, not so much.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Wow...it'll be weird to see Gonzales in a different uniform. One less target for Cassel in KC.

6. Michael from Germany

Michael from Germany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    2nd Round next year? Nice how everybody in that division tries to become weaker!

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm sure Matt Ryan is happy!!!! :yes:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm sure we're happy, I know I am, this division should belong to the Chargers for the next 2-3 years (until all those chiefs and donks' picks start producing)

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Mrs. Buck is sad. :icon_sad:

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    cosign

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    With that said, it's a win-win situation... for us and Gonzo! :yes:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At least Pioli got something for an aging player. Take notes, AJ.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    A 2010 2nd round pick for a future HOF TE who is still playing at a pro bowl level is not something to be emulated. If that's all that's out there for a player of TG's caliber, then you are better off keeping the player and benefiting from his production.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's 33 & nearing the end of his career. Even with Tony, KC doesn't make the playoffs this year. Why not start really rebuilding instead of the half-assed attempts made by Petersen & Edwards? :icon_shrug:

BTW - next year's 2nd isn't a bad deal. They would have gotten no better than this year's 3rd or 4th, future HOF'er or not.

Did you see anyone slinging high picks at us for LT? :no:

• Like Like x 1
  15. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I agree 100%. This was a good deal for both teams. Atlanta instantly gets better. The Chief, get a second round pick for an aging star, dump a big salary and lose a guy who has already given up on his team. He has been making noise about wanting to get out of KC two offseasons in a row now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's exactly why I didn't want to trade LT. It's next to impossible to get fair value in a trade for a veteran player. Let's compare TG's production in the next four years to that of the player KC selects with that 2nd round pick. I still think they would have been better off keeping TG.

One of the unseen benefits of keeping a HOF veteran player is that he makes those around him better. He's an example to the younger guys and he motivates them to excel. Rebuilding and getting younger is great, but you need veteran players to lead the team. KC does not have very many veteran leaders.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Not really a fair comparison.

Injuries or not, LT had a down year last year and the perception is that his ability to keep producing is in question.

That is not the case with Tony Gonzalez. He was still putting up good numbers last year, even with Tyler freaking Thigpen throwing him the rock.

Something tells me Tony Gonzalez will have an even better year this year now that he has Matt Ryan to throw the ball to him.

18. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    That is exactly why KC trading Gonzo makes absolutely no sense whatever to this old fan. Granted they got "something" for him and that is better than a retirement - but I seriously doubt Gonzo would have retired or become so great a distraction that they would have been forced to act.

How would you feel if we traded LT for a 2010 2nd round pick? (Oh yeah, a couple on here would have leaped at that wouldn't they?)...:icon_eek:

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In reality, I think the Chiefs' hand was forced on this one. Gonzo has made it known that he wanted to be traded. I think this was the Chiefs making the best out of a bad situation, regardless of how Buck, sdchrger, et al. want to spin it. If Gonzo was happy in KC, I think he'd still be a Chief. I understand the approach of getting rid of a player a year too early instead of a year too late, but Gonzo seems to have a lot of gas left in the tank. The last two years have been among Gonzo's best, with 90+ catches and 1000+ yards each year. And you're giving up that production for a 2nd rounder next year because you think Gonzo's play MIGHT decline? That's crazy.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was all for keeping LT if a fair contract for both sides could be worked out (and it was).

But hell yeah, I would have seriously considered a 2010 2nd for him. Any GM worth his salt would.

Sure, KC's main impetus for trading Tony was his desire to be traded, going back to last year. I never denied that. I still stand firm that next year's 2nd for him is not a bad deal for either side.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We'll see. I think it's better for Atlanta. If the Chiefs want to challenge for the division this year or next year, I think they were better off keeping TG. I don't think you can accept a 2010 2nd rounder for LT because of one injury-marred season.

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This guy abused the Charger defense on a regular basis. Very glad he is gone.

Roddy White, The Burner, Gonzo, Ryan. Pretty nice O they are putting in there in the land of cotton.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This division may have changed the early drafting, with the trades of Cutler and Gonzo. What are the Donk's and the Queefs real draft priorities now? Will this make them a serious bidder for Gates when his contract comes up? Gives Antonio some leverage.