1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Keenan Was Robbed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    Eddie Lacy has been named AP Offensive Rookie Of The Year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10388569/nfl-awards-announced-2013-season

I could understand if he & Allen had shared the honor, a strong case could be made for either one but Keenan had 1,000+ yards receiving to Lacy's 1000+ rushing, the Chargers won more games this season than the Packers did, and advanced farther in the postseason as well.

2. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    Im a firm believer that the media and mass public will always give it to the team with the larger fanbase. I honestly didn't expect any different. Soon as I saw it was him against a Green Bay Packer, I knew what would happen.

3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Rushing the ball through a crowd of big nasty men is harder than leaping up to catch it with one or two of the smaller defenders around you. In a close race, I'd always give to the running back.

As far as the respective team records are concerned... yes 9-7 is vastly superior to 8-7-1. :D

In the playoffs, they also had San Fran to our Bungles. What we did in Denver is a non-factor in any argument.

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Sour grapes and homerism.

5. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +214
    I think this slight will piss him off (kinda like sliding to the 3rd round when earlier projections had him going as a 1st rounder) and I can't wait to see the numbers he puts up next season! :bolt2:

6. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    Deez nuts and reality.

7. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Whatever. It makes no real difference. The Donks are playing tomorrow and we're not. Individual awards are not even good consolation prizes and this one will be quickly forgotten.

8. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290
    It's much easier for a running back to make an immediate impact than it is for a WR. What Keenan did was more impressive than Lacy.

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Don't know about that, Rodgers was out for 7 games and teams we're respecting Scott Tolzien, Seneca Wallace, and Matt Flynn and throwing 8 players in the box, yet the kid still had well over 1,000 yards and 11 scores.

Hope this is motivation for Allen for 2014 though.

11. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    Furthermore, I'd like to add that the AP is made up of a LOT of voters with SEC ties. The same group of people that will vote 10 out of 14 SEC teams into the top 25 every year. No integrity and serious bias. It's just no surprise me that Lacy won.

But as previously stated, it all means nothing really compared to the reality that the Bolts are not in the Super Bowl which is the most important hardware to strive for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    You really need to educate yourself. Receivers have a much more difficult transition to the NFL than RBs. There have been plenty of rookie RBs who have put up numbers like Lacy's but very few rookie WRs have had a season as good as Allen's. And that's not homerism. I'd be saying the same thing if Lacy was in SD and Allen was in GB, because it's a fact. If Allen were in Green Bay he would have won the award.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    There have been 8 1000 yard rookie receivers in NFL history. There have been 17 rookie RBs who have rushed for 1000 yards in just the last 10 years. It's no contest. Allen's rookie season was much more impressive.

14. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +214
    I think it will be.

Many prognostigators had Keenan going in the 1st round and he didn't get selected until the 3rd, and I believe that disrespect fueled his fire all season.

The same will probably happen next year, except he will likely start the year as our #1 wide receiver, as opposed to last season when he was not expected to play an awful lot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    What? I need an education to make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims like you. Well I can't imagine the tuition in that school to be very high. :roflmao:

16. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    So Keenan did with the Pepsi Next Rookie of the Year award which is pretty much a people's choice award. It says a lot.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I honestly could care less what a bunch of sports "journalists" vote on, considering they're also responsible for HoF voting and keep leaving out Don Coryell (he only changed the entire game of football, no biggie) and refuse to acknowledge just how incredible Ray Guy was at his position... but I digress.

KA has won all of the other ROY votes (as far as I'm aware) and he clearly had a tremendous season. Lacy can have this one, it's not like he didn't have a great rookie showing himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    Then just come back and post when the chargers win a SB, since you obviously only care about that award.

@Thread

If L.T was robbed of ROY, then Allen should come as no surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +214
    Punter Ray Guy was elected to the Hall of Fame tonite, and it's well deserved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +343
    Disagree. The ability to rush for over 1000 yards when you handle the ball 20+ times a game is much less impressive than having an opportunity to handle it 7 times or so game with the same production.

21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    But it is not the same production... (unless we reduce this to mathematics). Those A gap and B gap runs are tough yards. If these backs are so easy to come by and develop, why has this been such a tough slog for Mathews? Why do the Chargers seem to always find somebody... (be it Ajirotutu or whoever)... that Rivers can deliver the ball to without missing a beat?

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Okay, as a Cal Bear, I was admittedly--and shamelessly--the first one on the Keenan Bandwagon.
    That said, he exceeded even my grandest hopes, given where he began '13 (for "13"...an omen?) on the depth chart.

That said--and yes, I think he deserved it slightly more than Lacy--I do wish he would stop the
    pointing-to-his-name thing after TDs…let your play do the talking, Son, it really is enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I hope he follows the last OROY year snub the Chargers had......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I love it, Allen is the type of guy to take it very personal. We want him to have that chip on his shoulder.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  25. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290
    Is that true?

26. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    [​IMG]
    Craig "Bust" Davis, WR
    [​IMG]

27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    No ****? That's awesome :) and yes, VERY well deserved. About damn time!

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    It's a fact that players from teams with larger fan bases receive more accolades than players from teams like SD. You can go back and look at the data. Rodney Harrison did not make the Pro Bowl one year when he had 130+ tackles 8 INTs and 2 TDs, as a safety. He had one of the greatest statistical seasons of any safety in league history and he was not even named to the Pro Bowl. Forget about All-Pro. Not even the Pro Bowl.

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    No, I made it up. Yes, it's true. Even Jerry Rice only had 927 yards and 3TDs in his rookie season. It's very rare for a rookie receiver to put up big numbers. And some of the best rookie recievers, like John Jefferson and Randy Moss, have had HOF talent taking the pressure off them. Moss had Chris Carter. JJ had Charlie Joiner and Kellen Winslow. Keenan had Vincent Brown.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Lighten up, old man. These youngins today like their TD celebrations. It's not like he's kissing his biceps or ripping his shirt off like Superman.