1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Keenan Was Robbed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Feb 1, 2014.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Running through A and B gaps for 4.1 YPC is pretty much the same, whether you're doing it in the pros or in college. Which is why it's not all that unusual to see a rookie back put up 1000 yards. A rookie receiver putting up 1000 yards is much rarer. That should tell you something. Rivers is a great QB and he certainly aided in Keenan's production. But Tutu never had 1000 yard receiving season, not even close.

Just because Mathews hasn't been given the ball 300 times a season doesn't mean he hasn't had more impressive seasons than Lacy's. Mathews averaged 5 ypc two seasons ago and caught 50 passes. That's certainly more impressive than what Lacy did this year.

2. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Have you ever watched football? Receiver is a much more complicated position to play, which is why it usually takes 2-3 seasons for receivers to develop in to serious contributors. RBs come in and put up big numbers as rookies all the time. With the exception of kicker, RB is the skillset that transitions easiest to the NFL. WR and QB take the most work.

3. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Yes, long overdue. Guy was so much better than his contemporaries that it's just ridiculous. The only two guys that really compare in that regard are Jim Brown and Bambi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Have you ever formulated an argument that anyone in his right mind should take seriously?

5. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    The way I look at it, without Lacy's efforts in Green Bay this season (especially with Rodgers injured), they wouldn't have had a shot at winning (m)any games, much less staying afloat long enough for #12 to come back for a playoff run. In other words, I feel like he was more integral to the Packers' success than KA was to the Chargers', though not by that wide of a margin.

Either way, both players put up great performances this season, and the fact that they've been splitting all of the major offensive rookie accolades is a testament to this.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Not buying it…shameless self promoters are a dime a dozen (esp. at receiver)
    leave the "Hey! Pay-attention-to-me" antics to guys who can't get attention from their play...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    You can't dispute anything I said. Receiver is a much more difficult position for a rookie to play than RB. Any GM or scout in the league can tell you that. Even Matt Millen could tell you that.

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Pointing to the name on the back of his jersey is a pretty tame celebration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    I'd rather that you just answer the question.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Eh - I'm fine with it. He's not a trouble maler, he works hard, he's damn talented, he shows up on Sundays and he's got a chip on his shoulder after feeling snubbed in the draft. You bet he's telling everyone "remember this name" :) so long as he's scoring TD's in lightening bolts and not causing problems he could do handstands and and a jig for all I care.

At the end of the day, it's a game and it's for entertainment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,859
    While there's context for everything (TO and Chad 85 were obviously over the top) I never buy into the droll "let your play do the talking" mantra. To me that suggests they should all be mindless drones out there just doing their job.

They're playing a game for a living. I'm ok with a little fun involved. I'm not Roger Goodell in favor of a No Fun League. A little celebrating is perfectly ok in my book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I agree that compared to some crap, his celebration is "pretty tame"…for my money though, I'd still prefer that he skipped it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Lacy was a first round pick. Running Backs chosen in the first round are supposed to make an immediate impact and Lacy did. When Rodgers got hurt, GB leaned on him and he responded.

Allen was a third round pick. If it were not for injuries to our top two WR's, Allen wouldn't have made the impact he did. He gained Rivers confidence and in 15 games caught the ball 71 times for 1046 yards and 8 TD's.

I understand why Lacy won it. I also understand why Allen didn't.

But the real test will see how Lacy & Allen will respond in their 2nd year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    They both had seasons that could not be ignored, which is why I believe they should've shared the award, just like when Peyton Manning & the late Steve McNair were Co-MVPs in 2003.

• Like Like x 1