1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Keepers versus Walkers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Nov 28, 2011.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Now that the season seems to ringing the toilet bowl and ready for a final flush- is it too early to be thinking about which Chargers stay and which go?

Go
    Norv-five years- he's done enough damage
    Phillips- lotsa hype- little left in his tank- a real dik on twitter
    Castillo- he's just never going to be a factor
    Clary- human turnstile
    VJ- best for him best for us

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    We have SOOOO many holes to fill already without losing VJ, Phillips, and Castillo. I don't think we should blow it all up just yet, just look at the 49ers defense with Greg Manusky last year........look at it now. Thats what a good coaching staff can do.

3. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I've gave Norv the benefit of the doubt and tried to support him as much as I could, but I think I have finally jumped the fence. He's the first that has to go.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    With the right coaching this team might just surprise us. A few changes are made every year, they just need to make the right ones in Chargerville!

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    GO

Norv/Manusky - Duh
    English
    Vasquez
    Clary
    McMichael
    Castillo

MAYBE

Phillips - questioning his attitude
    VJ - same
    Floyd - constantly injured
    Tolbert - might be time for a trade
    Spikes - question if he has enough in the tank

6. SD Charger Fans in Austin

SD Charger Fans in Austin BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    The first to get the boot has to be AJ Smith. If he stays then nothing changes, he is the muppet master of the organization. Conversations about rebuilding are nothing but hollow as long as AJ is still behind the wheel. Get rid of Aj and then we can start fixing problems. The problems we have are all because of AJ. How can we expect him to admitt he was wrong, and put a serious effort to rebuild? We cant, he came and he failed... FIRE AJ SMITH!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Norv has got to be the first to go. I agree with Phillips and Castillo. VJ I'm not so sure about. I'm not so sure how much blame lies on him. It's hard to be a factor when your head coach/offensive coordinator is incapable of adjusting his play calling style to incorporate shorter patterns. It's either 30 yard bombs or bust it seems like. And with a qb with roots for legs and a line that can't provide much time it's hard to get the ball to him or other playmakers.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't know. I really like Tolbert. I think he's the only one that plays like he means it. I'd keep him.

9. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    Not sure how Spikes, Phillips, and English are on the list and not LaBoy. Laboy hasnt done anything all season.
    Tolbert & VJ, Really? Is this a list of players you want replaced or just a list of Charger players names you could remember?

10. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Ownership needs to let AJ know that his job is to hire the best people to get the job done, regardless of whether said people mesh with his personality or not. I'm willing to give him some time to see if he can at least bring in a coach that can get these players to play like men. Not mentally challenged children.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Becuase LaBoy is a career backup and should be brought back in that roll. We have a lot of guys who should be nothing more than a backup or roll players, but we have them starting, and/or paying them as if there were starters. That includes Clary, Vasquez, English, Castillo, Spikes, Hester, and others

• Like Like x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not. He has failed for 4 straight years. He got the pass for the 1st couple, but 4 straight bad drafts and bad free agent classes has lead this team to where it is (Well, that are poor coaching/development)

13. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Hey, I really can't argue with you. He's certainly done more bad than good lately. If they do can him, I hope they go after someone who can get the best players (regardless of "character") and a good coach as well.

14. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    Its not just a matter of a coach. Look at AJ Smiths horrible draft record. 1st round draft picks are suppose to be impact players, we havent had a impact player drafted since 2001. His name was LT and he wasnt drafted by AJ (hired in 2003).

2011 Lugiet BUST only 8 tackles on season
    2010 Mathews BUST Cant stay healthy/when healthy medicore
    2009 English BUST
    2008 Cason BUST
    2007 Davis BUST
    2006 Chromartie (Over-rated)
    2005 Merriman BUST Was good while he was juicing
    2004 Rivers (AJ didnt draft was a trade)

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Mathews is far from a bust. Sure he's had some injuries but he's played most of the season. And when he's healthy he's far from mediocre. I'm not sure what games you're watching but he's not mediocre. He's improved a ton from last year.

CROmartie...He made a name for himself by picking off Manning 3 times in one game, I'll give you that. Overrated yes, but not a bust.

Merriman was a beast when Juicing. You can't blame AJ for that. AJ drafted a beast and that's what we got for a few years, at least 'till the juice wore off.

Rivers...wow, I just don't know what to say here. Really? AJ didn't draft Rivers? I was kinda buying your argument 'till I read this. You really don't think AJ knew who the Giants were after in that draft? AJ got EXACTLY who he wanted in that draft. Yeah man, he drafted Rivers.

16. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    So you say AJ wanted Rivers all along and that it was all an elaborate scheme. Well we dont know, we arent AJ, and regardless that was in 2004. Since then NOTHING. I wont budge on Mathews being a bust until I see something different. He is medicore. Is he a top RB, NO. Is he horrible, NO. He is medicore, the 1st round is not for medicore players. It is for impact players.

17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It wasn't an elaborate scheme. He simply worked out a deal with a team that would give him the most for a QB that didn't want to play in SD. You're dismissing it as if it was nothing, when it was his defining moment.

Regarding Mathews and your definition of bust ... When I think of Bust, I think Buster Davis, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell and so on. Players that literally didn't contribute anything to a team. Mathews has contributed plenty. And I'll argue that if we had an offensive coordinator that could call a better game, he'd have a bigger impact. The guy has improved his pass protection and pass catching abilities. He has to work on ball handling but it is evident that he's working on it. One thing that I really like that isn't mentioned much is the attitude he runs with. The guy runs with a chip on his shoulder. You can't teach that.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Huh, I would say Rivers is an impact player, although he is having a down year. That would be AJ's one and only great 1st round pick. Matthews is still far from being a bust, but has definitely not lived up to what he cost us

• Like Like x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    IMO a 1st round draft pick is a bust if they are still on the team, so Cro is a bust of a pick, maybe not a bust of a player, but definitely a bust of a pick.

As for Merriman, he is much like Cro in the fact that he was a wasted pick since he is no longer on the team. And the "He was only good on roids" philosophy has been debunked over and over again

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't think he was around when Rivers was drafted. lol

21. joeyjoe22

joeyjoe22 ECBOLTF

Ratings:
    +2
    I think we should keep Tolbert. He is one of the few sparks we have right now.

• Like Like x 2
  22. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    I do agree that acquiring Rivers was AJ Smith's defining moment. That being said AJ was hired in 2003. He had his defining momment the following spring with the Eli-Phillp trade. Since then we have had little success in the 1st round. AJ had the 1st overall pick in 2004. One would hope he could make a good pick having the 1st overall selection, it was near impossible to make a bad selection that year. For a franchise that doesnt do alot of building in free-agency, the draft is crucial. The lack of effective drafting has been nothing short of destructive to the Chargers organization.

23. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    AJ and Norv are the obvious calls. Now that our window is probably shut, I personally take the attitude that they have had more than a fair amount of time to win with this team and have failed to do so, and it is logical now to take the team in a different direction.

With regards to people bashing on Castillo, look how this D has performed without him, the dude is missed, as has Phillips been. Someone's "twitter activity" bears no relevance to their on field performance, come on man let's be objective.

And people saying let's get rid of VJ??? Who you gonna replace him with? The only way he goes is if he prices himself out of SD and won't accept what we are willing to give him.

And to the dude who loves calling all of our draft picks busts above, how you gonna call a rookie 3-4 DE a bust after less than 1 full season? He's actually played ok, espcially if you consider he hasn't had Castillo opposite him, and that 3-4 ends typically don't make great stats. Judge a player by more than the box score man, and Lights Out was anything but a bust, the dude was a G until the Titans wrecked his knee

• Like Like x 1
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Castillo hate is possibly some of the most hilarious of all. That & already calling Liuget a bust.

25. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    My point exactly. Mathews isnt horrible, but we traded up to get a medicore player. I dont feel Mathews is a bust as a player, but as a 1st round draft pick. If we would have got him later, maybe even if we didnt trade up, I wouldnt think he is a bust. The first round is not for medicore players is my point.
    As for Rivers, we had the 1st overall pick that year. It was near impossible to not make a good pick. AJ had the whole college eligible pool available to pick from. So he made a good pick his first year running the war room. How many free passes does he get for one get draft?

26. SD Charger Fans in Austin

Ratings:
    +15
    As I said 1st rounders should be impact players, therefore they are bust as 1st round picks. Not necessarly overall bust as players. Lugiet 8 tackles on the season. Not impressive, he is decent. Look at other DE that were 1st rounders Dumervil & Freeney.
    As for Merriman he was good until he got off the juice.

27. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    One thing this message board and the UT message board members have preached for years is BEEF.

this guy AJ and his team never draft legit beef

• Like Like x 1
  28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ will not draft anyone with any type of name recognition. He like us to say "who?".

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    GOTTA GO:
    AJ, Norv, Manusky.
    Clary
    Crayton - I think age has finally caught up to him sadly. He just hasn't been effective at all this season.
    M80 - He just can't stay healthy :( which sucks because when he's right he's awesome.
    I'm sure there's more... I'll add later :p

STAY OF EXECUTION:
    Spikes and LaBoy were never meant to be everydown players. They've just had to be due to injuries. I'm fine with letting LaBoy go, but I'd keep Spikes around for his original intended purpose.

Tolbert should stay. I definitely feel like he's an asset and I like how he pairs with Mathews. I would be very very sad to see our bowling ball go.

VJ. No AJ? then VJ gets another year imo. He's another example of AJ's ego/attitude causing a rift with a player.

• Like Like x 2
  30. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I agree with everything you said except for Takeo Spikes. Every team he has been on has not gone to the playoffs.
    F that curse