1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Rivers over Brees was the right move

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 24, 2008.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Not to open old wounds (well, maybe a little)

ESPN.com

Sorry if already posted

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Good read, thanks allot. Funny thing is, I was saying that the day we traded for him. If we didn't enter this season with so many injured player's things would be much different than what we're going through. :tup:

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Rivers is going to be at the Charger helm for a long time. Brees is a good quarterback, but Rivers can be a franchise QB.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This was an extremely tough decision but we made the right one!!! :yes:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I never feel as anxious when we fall behind now as compared to before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Man for an ex-broncos beat writer, this Williamson guy really seems to love the chargers

8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    weighing the circumstances at the time it was the only call to make...hurt known very good commodity, highly paid prospective super star in the waiting, dot dot dot...PR.

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah no one could ever convince me that Brees would have been better if we kept him, all i got to say is Brees can manage a game with a lead but TELL ME ONE TIME HE HAS CAME BACK FROM BEHIND, Rivers has done it what 4-5 times in his short career so far

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    He's done it once, I think in his second year against the Chiefs. Brees was good for us, and if we didn't draft Rivers, I'm confident that we'd still be pretty good. But I think that we can go even further with Rivers at the helm.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't believe we won that game but Brees did get us back in it.

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Brees never really come through for us in the end when we needed it. Philip is a much better guy to have. I have a ton of respect for Drew.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's hard to compare the fate of a team in terms of whether one successful qb or another would have taken them farther. I suspect, at this point the Chargers record would be much the same since each of these guys have shown they can win. As far as I'm concerned, you can't teach height.

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    No we did win that game it was week 6 of 2002 we were 10 points down going into the fourth and we scored 21 points in the quarter and a LOT of it was passing

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2002&week=REG6

Again against SF a few weeks later we were down 10 in the fourth and we tied it in Reg and won in overtime, and that was mostly passing as well

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...yPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2002&week=REG11

But in 3+ years in starting games that is all I could come up with. Both of those were at home. In back to back weeks Rivers brought us back by 17 or more down on the road, and he has one more this year and should have had two more if our D could have held.

I don't know what would be more fitting today. To have Brees go up 10-14 points on us today and have Rivers lead us back, or for us to take the lead and then have Brees struggle to do anything when he is behind

15. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Today you guys saw who the Winner was and we traded him:no::tdown:

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    We traded Brees to the Saints? :no:
    Try again! :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223

Frankly with the current defense no QB is going to make this team a winner.

Fire Cottrell!!!:icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  18. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    This is from the Saints' board. The poster made the following statement:

Rivers is a great QB and I can understand them wanting to go with a new direction without Drew. You don't draft a guy like Rivers to sit on the bench for years and years. Drew did have major surgery and no one knew exactly how he would perform once and if he recovered.

It worked out great for everyone, especially for Drew and for New Orleans. In NOLA he became "the man" and wasn't looking over his shoulder. No one has ever called for his backup, unlike in SD. He's had career years here and is finally being mentioned as a top 5 QB. I'm not sure he was ever truly considered that in SD. Payton's offense is a godsend to a guy like Brees and it's really been remarkable to watch him perform out there. I wasn't around for Archie, so to be able to finally see how a real QB calls a game is a treat.

Rivers has had growing pains, but he showed his toughness last year in the game against the Patriots in the playoffs and he's a tough hombre, with a lot of skill. He's really matured and there aren't too many players playing at his level. To think that four years ago SD had BOTH Rivers and Brees is scary. The fact they got nada for Brees is sad and can be second guessed. However, maybe they did the honorable thing and allowed Brees to find himself his own new home.

To me, SD's biggest mistake was hiring Norv Turner to be their coach. He doesn't inspire players and so they play uninspired ball. He's a good coordinator, but a terrible head coach.